Why Are You Interested In Magic?

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
"A major problem with magic today is that most of the people whom start only start to gain popularity or get girls. It depresses me."

-Dough

This is what a user Sinful said
I don't really think he is right
What do you guys think?

I started magic because I had So many Ideas
Then I picked up ShowOff and started with Flourishes
Ever since I do them because I like to
I like the challenge, the creativity and the Responses
Not Some popularity crap
Really is magic popular were you live
maybe is me but my charisma is what makes me popular
Not My skill in Magic
The ladies?Well I have to admit they love a perfectly executed
"What the Hell Happened to Syble 2"
But that wont get you as much dates as being a Football player or a Doctor

Apr 20, 2008
Well, I have to admit, I'm at least partially in it for the girls.... lol

But mostly, it's because it suits me as a person, and allows me an expressive chanel that is so powerful as to be awe inspiring.

We are all working toward the power of forcibly suspending an audiences disbelief, and unlocking states of wonder they have long lost to growing up. We can take them to another place, and tweak their perception of reality.

No other artistic medium allows this. None. Even theater and film require a voluntary suspension of disbelief.

It's just such a pity that so much effort is spent finding playing cards...

Feb 7, 2008
I remember a teacher of mine doing a great trick which puzzled the hell out of me. What bothered me even more was when he said "You weren't watching my hands". I remembered after that I went on a mission to learn just that one trick. Not to be a magician, but figure out the answer to the puzzle.

It wasn't until I saw David Blaine on T.V.

I was amazed. So amazed I had a feeling, in the back of my mind, that it was all TV magic. I wanted to spread that feeling of astonishment to all my friends, and I did that by showing them a recorded video of his special.
Doing some research I learned that there was always a trick behind every illusion. And that I too, can do what David Blaine can.

I would say, I truly got into and respected the art form when I learned the art of presentation.

It wasn't the girls nor the fame for me. It was the power of my first spectator reaction. The idea that I have the power to do that to someone, and make them, maybe for a second, believe in magic. Remarkable.

Iam into magic becouse I like amazing people. And I hate not knowing the secret. I love performing. I do cardistry for fun, I do it for me. I sometimes show my friends it but they are more impressed by magic.

JDEN

PS. You spelt Doug wrong. Its Doug not Dough

May 4, 2008
NYC
After seeing Cyril perform on TV in Japan, I was inspired to start magic. I just loved the visual effects and the reactions they get. This is what really got me into this, trying to get good reactions from ppl and amaze them by doing something magical.
I just wanna entertain and amaze everyone, not just girls.
Magic really helps with ur people skills though; so i can see why some people might find magic an easy way to get attention.

Jun 16, 2008
Germany
I always loved magic...I loved it since i was a little kid.Yet i started doing magic about 1 and a half year ago.I was pretty ill and during this time and magic kept me alive.Magic is an art..a wonderful creative way to express yourself.For me its a challange to learn new flourishes,to develope new routines..new pieces of art.Magic is what i want to do and what i am passioned about.I think i got into magic because i love it...and of course i love to entertain people.

(sri if i made some mistakes..i´m 17 years old and i´m from germany )

Well when I was about 5 or so, I saw this man at a fair do this trick with a mouse. He made it run across his fingers and arms and said there were no string or magnets. My dad bought me his little kit with the mouse...and it had a string! This ticked me off (or whatever the substitute is when you're only 5) and made me search for more. Do to attenton limitation of childhood, I stopped. A few years ago I got some other things but stopped again...and only since I started back up have I kept up with it, outlasting my two other periods by a long shot. As to why I do magic, theres the answer to amaze people which I believe is true...but I imagine my 5 year old self had an answer which I can't remember, but I have the ambition to keep on doing magic.

~PaCo

Oct 24, 2007
lol I don't do it for the girls, I have a wonderful girl and we're engaged. As for popularity, I don't do magic for that either. I admit that I don't mind being popular. but it's not something I strive for in my magic and flourishing.

Really, I just do magic because I love it. I have fun entertaining spectators and friends. I love seeing the amazement in their eyes as I do my magic right before them. And also, I love practicing my magic and I do it often.

So, it's not for the popularity or girls, it's because I love magic. I always have, ever since I was little and saw one of Lance Burton's specials on television. Peace!

Tyler

Damn, you guys are really taking the girls part way too seriously. There nothing wrong about wanting to be popular with the other sex.
However, yes, it shouldn't be the reason for getting into magic.
In any case, I think a person who get into magic for the girls won't usually last long... Yeah, he'll learn a double lift, know a change really good, and then quit it because it's too much work.
I got into magic because I like the art. I like the art of creating amazing illusions and bring people to see stuff they've never thought possible. I'm into magic for the art that is magic, and I don't think any other reason will last too long.
So I don't think you should be too depressed about the future magicians... Magic is fine without you depressing over it ;-)

Well when I was about 5 or so, I saw this man at a fair do this trick with a mouse. He made it run across his fingers and arms and said there were no string or magnets. My dad bought me his little kit with the mouse...and it had a string! This ticked me off (or whatever the substitute is when you're only 5) and made me search for more. Do to attenton limitation of childhood, I stopped. A few years ago I got some other things but stopped again...and only since I started back up have I kept up with it, outlasting my two other periods by a long shot. As to why I do magic, theres the answer to amaze people which I believe is true...but I imagine my 5 year old self had an answer which I can't remember, but I have the ambition to keep on doing magic.

~PaCo

Haha, I bought the same stupid little mouse thing when I was little.

Oct 13, 2007
Starting in Magic

I remeber when I was younger maybe 8 or 9 I went to a camp specifically to learn magic. Most of the effects where quite childish and it didn't feel right to perform magic like that and most of the tricks were ment for stage. A couple of years later I was just surfin' youtube and came upon the "This N' That " card trick that i NEEDED to learn. From then on I was bit by the bug and continuing to search for tricks i could perform for people I knew. I soon noticed that magic was and easy way to get my confidence up to approach people and take an iniciative to do something positive and get myself noticed. I also saw that people that I thought were different cause they were more popular than me or girls that I couldn't get weren't really all that different than me. Now I have friends that acknowledge that I am a magician but i dont really bother them with it. When they want to see something I show them. I let my reputation of being a magician attract them to me so then I know that they are really interested to see what I do. The only time I approach people now is if I am doing street magic with a couple of friends at a mall or something.

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
About 5 years ago, my friend and I decided to learn magic as a hobby. However, we transferred school and there were no magicians in my school. Hence, my passion for magic died off. He continued learning magic in his school and stopped 2 years ago.

Recently, I transferred school again and I met another classmate who does a little magic. This sparked my passion for magic again. My reason for learning magic is never to get girls.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
ill write it short.
saw a cool guy in a movie handling cards.wanted to do it too.went to the library and while looking for books on poker or cheating techniques(i was 6 or 7)
i saw a book on houdini.which had a picture of a poster that said "king of cards" which eventually sparked my interest in magic.
nowadays i do more than card magic.but its still my favorite.

now,I feel that if you want to use flourishing as a way to catch a girls eye is fine.
T really has nothing to do with magic.Its not even an application for magic as dan OR dave once said.
but you might come of as a showoffy jerk if you do do it for girls.
the only reason i learn and do flourishes is for me.because its fun to do.
and the reason i do magic is FOR the people.to brighten up their day.
for that look on their faces.
yeah,one does get popular doing magic at school or around their town but thats not the initial reason one should do it for.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
The money, the ladies, and the fame. Why else?

Haha, such a deep, though-provoking answer from such a successful amateur magician.
:)

I do it because I like to amaze. I like have the feeling that I can walk into a room and make people scream. I guess it's the feeling of power.
I also hate not knowing the secret. When I was a little kid if I saw a magic trick I'd be desperate to find out how it was done.
I guess that's just led me to where I am now.

D

Deleted member 2755

Hey man, you put it H after my name. ;) My name isn't Dough. :p

Anyway, on topic... I'm glad to see most of the Theory 11 members aren't like that... but I still stand by that statement because that is how I feel.

Look at all of these people exposing tricks on Youtube. They are simply novices whom are looking for their 2 minutes of fame by getting comments like "OH MAN! THANK YOU! I'VE BEEN WANTING TO LEARN THIS FOR A LONG TIME! YOU ROCK!" However, I'm not just talking about Youtube popularity either...

I'm talking about in real life as well... Usually... magic starts out where they see a site such as Ellusionist either from now watching Celebracadabra or just typing in magic tricks on google. That's when they see all of these awesome previews to these DVDs and they buy everything in sight. They then at their school perform something like Stigmata in an effort just to gain attention. It really just makes me sick. Then... once magic requires any actual effort in sleight of hand... they realize it's difficult and BAM, they quit. Then the cycle continues.

This has been from my experience the most common person getting into magic. I hope that I'm really wrong, but I just really don't think I am and I will stand behind my quote. Do I think it's the biggest problem in magic? No I do not. However, it is a big problem that can't be avoided. I also feel people denying that are just lying to themselves.

-Doug

Jan 11, 2008
New york
".........They then at their school perform something like Stigmata in an effort just to gain attention. It really just makes me sick."
Sinful.

I really don't know what its like to be in high school in 2008. but when i was in school (1990s) it was safe to say i was the only magician in the building, i cant imagine how it would be for some kid to go home after seeing an effect I preformed for them and the next day come in with the method they found on the computer.

Magic has not died, its methods has just became more public.

Bring Back the code! (I wonder who knows what that means)

Mar 29, 2008
Wow, no kidding Nate - I have been an advocate for that for some time now...actually, my exposure on Youtube post dealt with that.

I think it happens for a few reasons - ignorance - being that people think they are OWED the secret when they see a trick...just because they say they are a magician. The old days, you would EARN the secret through performance of other effects you have learnt...you would trade concepts.

Also, I think some guys suck so bad - it is the only way to share...they don't perform, so to get an ego stroke - they put it up on Youtube....or share by teaching. (Had a friend bring up this point, and it may be true - if you aren't good enough to do magic, you can always share the secret to get the same attention as the big names that share their material).

Lastly, I think people don't realize the impact - as it is small the them, but it is really more a matter of respecting the craft and believing the secret is valuable. The secret we hid is the method to our plots - without plots we are just speakers with much to say, but little to demonstrait it...actually, some of you may have little to say...so losing the secret should really concern you.

I think Wikapedia has a nice chart on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_(magic)#Supporting_exposure

In short - we should all raise our right hands and say aloud:

"As a magician I promise never to reveal the secret of any illusion to a non-magician, unless that one swears to uphold the Magician's Oath in turn. I promise never to perform any illusion for any non-magician without first practicing the effect until I can perform it well enough to maintain the illusion of magic."

Then raise your left hand extending the middle finger to those that don't

MiddleFingerLighter.jpg

on a side note - I love finger ring magic!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results