Why do YOU perform?

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
I have always equated magic with other disciplines such as Martial Arts as it can and will teach you patience, humility, and control. (not for everyone mind you but..)

People ask why you do magic, but there is a time where How you got into it becomes why you stay in it.

I thought it was kool and as I got older I realized I liked to make people happy and screw with the brains.. a marriage of convenience if you will.

Mar 29, 2008
Not that I am surprised, but this thread is a real eye opener to the kind of people attached to magic and this forum. Tommy Wonder, in his second Book of Wonder, starts off the book by telling a story about magic as a women. I wish I was not on the road right now, so I could be more accurate about the telling - but he tells the story twice - once with the pretty lady...and once again retold with the world magic in her place.

The story talks about those that choose to do magic for the wrong reasons....and how you will never really get to know the art when you focus on things like:

- it makes me different
- it allows me to pick up women
- I can be more successful because of it
- I am the life of the party

Doing magic everyday, should start with a personal satisfaction, I think doing it because you love it should be the reason - and you love it because of how magic treats you...not because of what you get from it, as those are benefits, but from what you give to it. It is nice to be able to share it with people - but be honest with yourself - do you get up every day to do magic for people? What percentage of time do you spend working on magic, compared to performing it? I don't know a single magician that performs MORE than he practices - so who do you really do magic for? Ourselves - we love it - the good ones do magic because they want to better magic, not themselves.

And Tommy Wonder compares it to a women - the man that dates the pretty women to get more attention, status and have all his friends think he is so cool - compared to the man that loves a women because she is wonderul, interesting and clever - and he treats her with respect. He makes sure that he never does anything to hurt her, and only make her loved by all...because she deserves it.

I know many of you are young, but magic is my lady too - and it frustrates me when I read people treat her like an arm piece to get attention...I think in time you will realize if you treated magic different, you would be better off in the long run.

So, why do I perform? Because every once in awhile, I want to take the lady (magic) out to introduce her to people, so they too can see how special she is - not because I want them to see how special I am. I want them to realize that she is not just a pretty face, but an amazing person that they will never forget. I am just their to protect her...I guess that is why I get paid, haha.

Seriously though, there are bad reasons to do magic...I recommend reading Tommy Wonder's essay.

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
i have so my reasons, performing for people is great as lets all face it we are all show offs we feed off spectators reactions inturn making us happy well i feel that way at least. i want to destroy peoples beliefs make them question their surrondings give them a question they can't answer. most of all i love being obsessed thinking all day long about magic trying to make the 'impossible' possible. There is no other feeling then being able to spend all night and not sleeping on something keeping on reaching for the unitanimal goal of perfection.

mAtt

Mar 29, 2008
That was a lot of cliches mAtt - I am sure you give it 110% when you perform and want people to experience "child like wonder" - ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz - replace your words with simplified concepts.

"i have so my reasons, showing my lady off to peopel is great, as I feed off people looking at my girl. I want to make myself feel better than others by fooling and puzzling them with questions they can't answer. Most of all I love being obsessed thinking about my magic lday all day long". I would LOVE to see how you make the 'impossible" possible - which doesn't even make sense...if it is impossible, how can you do it? Oh wait, I forgot...cliches...I got it.

I respect that you strive for perfection - dream the impossible dream...reach for the stars...and love cliches and mindless posts. WICKED!

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
to make people smile. i like to entertain. i like meeting different types of people. i like to study people how they react to stuff. to make people believe in something. to open peoples minds. make people think.

Mar 29, 2008
i perform more than i practice. i see performing as practicing. i dont get much time to learn any new slights and stuff but at least every friday i go to the streets to perform.

maybe im a lazy and bad magician

Umm...you said it.

Do you think any sports figures play more than practice? I hope not.

Preparation makes you a better...not stumbling through your magic until you get it right...wow, I don't envy your audiences...at all.

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
i dont stumble, i astonish. i know im not an expert or anything (i only been doing this for 2 years) i am always prepared and made 2 tricks which one get a really great reaction. i dont drop cards, i dont lose the spectators cards. i got told the onther day that "how can people not believe", i even made a police officer believe i got my magical power from a both of lightening and woke up with a pack of cards in my hands (i was taking the piss i didnt expect him to believe me at all)
i take magic seriously and practice a slight until i can do it perfectly. but im a really busy guy recently and i take out one day out the week for fun and when see someone on the street who i know will say yes when i ask them.

i love magic and i hate to fail not because i look stupid, i look stupid all the time but if will ruin it for the rest of the magic community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
i said i will not fail and that i dont fail because i want to ruin it for the magic community. i dont go exposing to normal people how these trick are done.

btw
but if i do badly i will ruin it for the rest of the magic community.
i meant to say that im rush too much when i type, sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2008
I thought your point was, "you don't practice as much as your perform", which makes me wonder how good or bad you are - as I don't know any decent magician that doesn't practice more than he plays. I don't know ANYONE good at ANYTHING that doesn't practice more than he plays!! So, if you don't go exposing to normal people....do you only perform for the abnormal? Just because you don't flash...doesn't mean you are good, or enjoyable.

Food for thought...or do you only eat fast food?

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
no i dont eat that much fast food.
that's my point it no good just being able to do a trick u got to work with ur body language and patter and there are so many ways to do a trick u have to mess with it to find the best reaction. so i dont practice my slights all the time but i do go out and improve my performance every week.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results