Why I don't perform card to wallet anymore.

Jan 13, 2008
how is it not, inseki? I see your point completely, but i still feel that just telling someone to do or not to do something is suggestion, whether they agree with it or not. the milgirm experiment was used to show how easily the human mind can be "suggested" if you will.
Well...the Milgram experiment was more to show that people are willing to follow the orders of someone in power, even if they knew it was wrong or dangerous. Not quite "suggestion", as that implies they are being led to believe something, when in the Milgram experiment they do not agree with/believe the experimenter. They are simply shifting blame from themselves to the experimenter, not taking what the experimenter says as the absolute truth or anything of that nature.

In fact, in the actual videos of the Milgram experiment, you can see that it pains the people (emotionally) to continue with it, shocking people--but they don't feel they themselves are the bad ones, as there is a man in a white lab coat standing there egging them on to keep going (in reality, they are allowed to stop at any time--but the experimenter does not make this clear during the experiment at all. He, in fact, says things such as "You must go on."). They knew that what they were doing was wrong (they even admit to that after the experiment), however they got caught up in the fact that the experimenter was egging them on, thus they shifted the blame to him and continued with the experiment.

As well, they felt that they would be letting down the experimenter/the study in general if they stopped participating, given how much the experimenter was egging them on, thus they continued on for that reason. This is the one thing that I would say loosely ties into magic--in particular, hypnotism. :)

how is it not, inseki? I see your point completely, but i still feel that just telling someone to do or not to do something is suggestion, whether they agree with it or not. the milgirm experiment was used to show how easily the human mind can be "suggested" if you will.

Mostly what was said above. It's all about authority and responsibility. When the experimenter (authority figure) told them to continue and promised to accept responsibility for what happened to the student, most people carried on, albeit reluctantly.

Some people stopped. At least one didn't ever question.

It was a pretty depressing experiment.

Sep 1, 2007

As mentioned before:

Well...the Milgram experiment was more to show that people are willing to follow the orders of someone in power, even if they knew it was wrong or dangerous. Not quite "suggestion", as that implies they are being led to believe something, when in the Milgram experiment they do not agree with/believe the experimenter. They are simply shifting blame from themselves to the experimenter, not taking what the experimenter says as the absolute truth or anything of that nature.

Thanks you a lot for your time, in fact that is exactly the kind of thing that I was looking for, but I have a little trouble with that little part.

It would be kind of hard to do the "off beat" thing if I ask for someones wallet I take a card and put it inside and then hand the wallet back.

First (in my opinion) everyobdy is going to watch inmediately if you grab a wallet, lets be honest most people think that we magicians can actually pickpocket pretty good or make "things" dissapear, so if I graba a guy wallets lets be honest they all are going to be like "waooow, let's watch his hands closely" and in my opinion things that requiere more concentration or attention than other are actually memories that are harder to forget, but hey, after all , I have not tested it so I dont know for sure.

but as for the other tips, they are great, I still remember the conversation I was having with you and William D. and you talking of how it was possible to "create" memories in the minds of the spectators (am I right?) and to be sincere, that sparked my curiosity even more and it has enhanced my magic greatly, thanks for the tips and your time man.

A quick thought on this particular trick:

Here's something you might want to try. Do your card tricks, and at some point ask someone for a couple of coins for your next trick. Ask him to take his wallet out and hand your cards to be shuffled to someone else. As he is taking his wallet out and taking some coins you instruct the spectator to shuffle very well and make sure that there is no special order or anything, real shuffles! As you take the coins from the guy you hand him one card to put in his wallet and you still focus on the shuffling. Now you take away the attention from the shuffling by introducing the borrowed coins. Have the coins checked by someone else and take a couple of cards from the spectator with your deck and go in to a routine involving coins and cards.

This whole sequence appears quite complex, but it should be clear to everyone that the cards are well shuffled by that spectator. Yes they may remember the wallet being out for the coins to be borrowed, but when the final effect happens 20 minutes later, they have no chance connecting the dots any more.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Here's something you might want to try. Do your card tricks, and at some point ask someone for a couple of coins for your next trick. Ask him to take his wallet out and hand your cards to be shuffled to someone else. As he is taking his wallet out and taking some coins you instruct the spectator to shuffle very well and make sure that there is no special order or anything, real shuffles! As you take the coins from the guy you hand him one card to put in his wallet and you still focus on the shuffling. Now you take away the attention from the shuffling by introducing the borrowed coins. Have the coins checked by someone else and take a couple of cards from the spectator with your deck and go in to a routine involving coins and cards.

That would be great If I knew some coin magic, but either way, I think that thing you explained pretty much claryfied things for me, I do get it now.

BTW, Im considering to invest in "connected" is a TnR card plot that ends with the card restored in the wallet, I read the reviews and I read that the "load" is made in the off beat and in a casual way, because it is blended with another trick, and its not that expensive.

Thanks for your time

I don't think its "misremembering" only ( a concept which is simply amazing from every angle you look at it ), the vanish itself has a role in this ( assuming you did one )

In fact, even if he knows the card IS in his wallet, if you vanish a card, they'd to that, you tell them about the wallet, and boom.

@Inskei's first post: Check Bro.Hamman's Double Deal Card to Pocket ( I think thats the name, its in the Kaufman book ). I LOVE Hamman's magic for this reason. His use of psychological misdirection and the way he directs the spec's logic had ( and still has ) tremendous effect on magic. He remains one of my inspirations, as a magician and as a human being.

I apologize if this is exposure. If it's unsuitable for a public forum, feel free to edit or delete as necessary.

I used to perform a similar effect where I would keep a joker in a spectator's wallet to have it change into a selected playing card later. I didn't like the idea of openly loading the joker into the wallet though, so I thought of a way to hide the load of a forced card completely. In effect, a spectator would make a selection and rip a corner from it as a receipt. The rest of the card would vanish and reappear folded tightly tucked in the corner of the spectator's wallet which was inside his pocket the entire time. Obviously, the torn corner matched exactly disproving the use of any duplicates.

I won't discuss the torn corner (I'm sure everyone already knows how to accomplish it), however the load is relatively simple and I believe it's been used in a multitude of different effects already. Strangely, I don't ever remember seeing it in print. So with that...

Prior to using the Card to Wallet effect, the performer borrows a bill from the spectator. He politely takes his wallet and under the guise of (fairly) removing a bill, a folded duplicate of the force card in finger palm is secretly loaded into the wallet. The wallet is replaced into the spectator's pocket. That's it! After some significant time misdirection by doing magic with the bill (Danny Garcia's Fraud, Vlado's $100 Bill Switch, Paul Harris Counterfeit Spectator, etc...) a deck of cards is produced and a few card effects are performed. Naturally, the entire routine would close with the impossible Card to Wallet effect, having the selection reappear in the spectator's own wallet.

I've done this effect for years, and it's always been a huge reputation maker for me. I enjoy it because it eliminates the need to openly load a card at the beginning of the routine, so there's nothing for the audience to catch OR misremember! In this variation, their selected playing card vanishes from the deck and no sh*t appears in their wallet. Try it out.

RS.

That would be great If I knew some coin magic, but either way, I think that thing you explained pretty much claryfied things for me, I do get it now.

BTW, Im considering to invest in "connected" is a TnR card plot that ends with the card restored in the wallet, I read the reviews and I read that the "load" is made in the off beat and in a casual way, because it is blended with another trick, and its not that expensive.

Thanks for your time

Connected is worth the buy. You can also buy it on DVD.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results