WINDOW by David Stone - AWESOME

Jan 13, 2008
Well, even given what's taught, it's not really a CTW in the traditional sense of the word. The tape really does ruin the magic of the effect.

However, with that said, there are ways you can make it into a CTW. It just...you know...takes some thought. A bit of effort, ya know? Creativity? It's nice to be handed completed works of art...but it's a lot more fun to tinker with something and create your own work of art with it.

I was thinking of ways to make the effect truly a CTW effect...and while brainstorming, I thought of a humorous way to accomplish it, almost as a satire of the idea of using WINDOW as a typical CTW effect. However, it does solve the problems of the tape (although, it opens up the issue of possibly breaking windows, depending on how hard you throw the objects). In a classic version of the CTW, one flings the cards at the window, and the card appears on the other side. However, with WINDOW, that isn't possible. Or is it?

What if you threw the deck of cards and a roll of tape along with it? Assuming you could come up with some suitable patter, that would be a humorous and magical effect for the spectator. You throw the cards and tape, it appears stuck to the other side of the window with a piece of the tape--however, it's the wrong card. So you go and fix your mistake, never even touching the card, as it's on the other side of the glass. Seems like a nice routine, to me.

That's just one idea. I'm sure you guys/gals could come up with many more, if you put a little bit of effort into it. For example, if you're scared of the roll of tape breaking the window, perhaps you could just put a piece of tape on one card, to "mark your prediction", and then to reveal it you fling it, with the deck, against the window, again resulting in the situation above (card attached to the OTHER side of the window--the wrong card, though, of course. Again, you fix your mistake through whichever magical gesture you choose).

For those who like Kaos, perhaps you could proceed through the effect like usual, except with a force (forcing whatever your WINDOW card is). When you get to the other side and pull their selection through the glass, you tape it to the window, kind of like a little victory display. It would be funny because, of course, it would be the WRONG card. So when you come back around and they let you know it's the wrong card, again you fix your mistake like above.

Hopefully you guys don't dismiss the effect as an unusable one...it obviously has some potential if you put a little bit of thought into it.

Actually, until now even I was in the camp of dismissing it as useless...but seeing so many take that stance, I decided I'd put a little thought into how it could be used, and came up with the above. I think I'll now be asking for this for Christmas (yeah, I'm patient, I can wait). :)

Sep 9, 2007
If you watch the preview video or if you own the effect, you'll see that David DOES teach a CTW-type effect.

He has a "?" piece of paper taped to the window, which he pulls off to reveal a card taped to the window. He uses a fan in each hand to transport the card THRU the window, where the spec can feel that the card has gone THROUGH the window. Then one of the fans is used to switch the card.

It's one of the more difficult effects on the DVD (for those who have trouble with a simple two-handed fan - let alone, a fan in each hand) but it's a VERY beautiful effect in David's hands.

So, in summary, is WINDOW a purely CTW effect? No.
Is there a CTW effect taught on the DVD? YES.

I did have it, and all you're doing is pattering around the problem via the presentation.

Never do you (nor can you) reveal that there is no card on the other side of the window, and then make it appear. You can only CHANGE the card through the window. Which is what I've been saying the whole time.

You said it yourself it's a "CTW-type" effect. Movie theaters offer "butter-flavoured topping" - it's not butter.

All I'm saying is they should have made it clearer in the marketing that you can't start with what essentially is a "clean" empty window.

Sep 9, 2007
Well, even given what's taught, it's not really a CTW in the traditional sense of the word. The tape really does ruin the magic of the effect.

However, with that said, there are ways you can make it into a CTW. It just...you know...takes some thought. A bit of effort, ya know? Creativity? It's nice to be handed completed works of art...but it's a lot more fun to tinker with something and create your own work of art with it.

I was thinking of ways to make the effect truly a CTW effect...and while brainstorming, I thought of a humorous way to accomplish it, almost as a satire of the idea of using WINDOW as a typical CTW effect. However, it does solve the problems of the tape (although, it opens up the issue of possibly breaking windows, depending on how hard you throw the objects). In a classic version of the CTW, one flings the cards at the window, and the card appears on the other side. However, with WINDOW, that isn't possible. Or is it?

What if you threw the deck of cards and a roll of tape along with it? Assuming you could come up with some suitable patter, that would be a humorous and magical effect for the spectator. You throw the cards and tape, it appears stuck to the other side of the window with a piece of the tape--however, it's the wrong card. So you go and fix your mistake, never even touching the card, as it's on the other side of the glass. Seems like a nice routine, to me.

That's just one idea. I'm sure you guys/gals could come up with many more, if you put a little bit of effort into it. For example, if you're scared of the roll of tape breaking the window, perhaps you could just put a piece of tape on one card, to "mark your prediction", and then to reveal it you fling it, with the deck, against the window, again resulting in the situation above (card attached to the OTHER side of the window--the wrong card, though, of course. Again, you fix your mistake through whichever magical gesture you choose).

For those who like Kaos, perhaps you could proceed through the effect like usual, except with a force (forcing whatever your WINDOW card is). When you get to the other side and pull their selection through the glass, you tape it to the window, kind of like a little victory display. It would be funny because, of course, it would be the WRONG card. So when you come back around and they let you know it's the wrong card, again you fix your mistake like above.

Hopefully you guys don't dismiss the effect as an unusable one...it obviously has some potential if you put a little bit of thought into it.

Actually, until now even I was in the camp of dismissing it as useless...but seeing so many take that stance, I decided I'd put a little thought into how it could be used, and came up with the above. I think I'll now be asking for this for Christmas (yeah, I'm patient, I can wait). :)

great ideas.

I'm not dismissing the trick as useless, just as slightly impractical in it's current form as what it was marketed as.

Honestly, I don't think I would have had a problem if it was marketed as a color change. I probably wouldn't have bought it either, but that would have been less misleading.

Jan 13, 2008
great ideas.

I'm not dismissing the trick as useless, just as slightly impractical in it's current form as what it was marketed as.

Honestly, I don't think I would have had a problem if it was marketed as a color change. I probably wouldn't have bought it either, but that would have been less misleading.
Thanks.

And I wasn't a big fan of the advertising, either. That's why I held off, and waited for reviews. I'm glad I did, because if I had bought it as advertised, I probably would have been quite disappointed with what it turned out to be (essentially a colour change). So I definitely see where you're coming from with that.

However, now that I've thought up a few applications for the through-window-colour change, I'm starting to like it more. I can definitely see it enhancing some effects, even Kaos. I like to add humour to my routines, and this gimmick would definitely accomplish that. Hence, it made my Christmas list. :)

Good Review

Thank you for posting a review on this effect, I have been doing the classic Card through Window for almost 8 years now, and always wanted to try a different version. I bought both of David Stone's DVD's entitled Real Secrets of Magic Volume 1 and Volume 2, and he is very entertaining to both watch his performances as well as explanations for each effect.

So now that I know this isn't going to be a complete waste of money, it will be the next effect I buy. Hopefully sooner than later, cause I just dropped $120 dollars on Dan & Dave's Trilogy along with Andthensome DVD. So that will set me back a month, but hopefully in that time frame more and more reviews will pop up, enticing me even more to purchase this effect.

So thank you again for the review! :)

Oct 27, 2009
Yes, simply put, awesome. I was quite hesitant in ordering WINDOW, because of the price tag, but now that I've done it I'm quite happy.

Gimmick:

The gimmick is a heavily modified version of a classic gimmick, which if it isn't exposure I'll post the name of. It isn't fragile at all, but you still shouldn't go tossing it around and stepping on it. The gimmick could, theoretically be re-made, but it would be incredibly time-consuming and tedious. If someone were to look at the gimmick, they could probably figure out the effect. That's probably why they don't sell refills. The gimmick is not clunky at all, and is incredibly convenient to set up. In fact, most of the set up is done in front of spectators. There are two parts to the gimmick one on your side of the glass, and one on the other side of the glass. The gimmick can be noisy though and it could be seen without the right angles.

8/10

Effect:

This isn't so much a card through window as it is a card change or card transpo through window. None-the-less it's incredibly visual and looks like a camera trick, even when done live. I don't use any of the presentations in the DVD, I came up with my own, which is sort of a failed prediction effect.

9/10

DVD/Teaching:

The quality and editing in the DVD is great, no complaints. One thing to know is that the teaching is silent, which can be somewhat annoying. You'll have to re-watch to figure out what to do.

7/10

Difficulty:

Took me a very short time to get down. I was really excited to get this, so I practice for about five or six hours straight. It can be somewhat difficult if you have small hands, but that problem is solved if you use a silk handkerchief or bandanna.

4/10---1 being Do-As-I-Do-self-working, 10 being Raise-Rise-knuckle-busting.

Overall:

Get it, you will not regret it. Most card through window mechanisms are $300 dollars, WINDOW is more than your average effect, but it's still well worth it. I do want to talk a little bit about the price though. The gimmick doesn't seem like it would cost more than a few dollars to make. I figured that because it's hand-made, that's the reason it costs so much. Then I remembered that Michael Ammar's "Moving Pips Cards" are also hand-made, but are very cheap. Just a little rant there. Get this right now, you won't regret it.

8.5/10 Get it.

Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results