X-rated by Sean Fields

Nov 1, 2007
X-rated is Sean's second set of mentalism notes, the first being Explicit Content. X-rated is sort of a follow up, a grab bag of random concepts ranging from freaky PK routines to metal building to new sleights. It's meant to be read through a few times and allow the creativity to soak in, and go from there. The magic's not too bad either. Here's a list:

For The Masses - metal bending, but the spectators do it instead of you. Everyone is given a spoon and instructed to stroke it / concentrate / whatever. After a moment of such activity, they compare it to your spoon that you've been sitting idly by with, and upon examination, the spectators have all bent their chosen silverware. I honestly can't say I like this one - it's not that hard to figure out, though if performed correctly it can fool laymen. Though I think you performing visual bends in silverware yourself is much stronger effect. The trick itself is laughably simple, which is good, and does its job perfectly - it's just not my kind of effect.

The Metronome Revelation - A card is selected and kept hidden from the performer. The spectator is told to think of the card's color, and repeat it to herself in a steady rhythm, "Black. Black. Black. Black. Black." over and over. Staring into her eyes, the performer eventually starts to mouth along with what she was thinking: "...black, black, black, black..." This continues until all aspects of the card are finally revealed. It's an easy and freaky way to reveal a card, yet requires good timing. Very nice effect.

Out of Sight, Out of Mind - You allow the spectator to think of a playing card, and it turns out to be the one hiding in your wallet. This is essentially a psychological force of sorts that seems tricky to pull off, yet impossible and beautiful should it be done correctly. With enough practice, this is a great addition to your card work.

North of the Border - Just amazing. It's a new center tear, where you can show your hands open and clean throughout the performance. Even after finished with the tear and handing the pieces back, your hands are completely clean. A magician friend of mine who's wise to the center tear asked to count the pieces immediately after I handed them back, and I obliged - she had no idea how I'd gathered the information from the billet. This is one of those sleights that should have been put in use decades ago - it's so simple and perfect. I think it improves on the basic center tear in every possible way (angles are about the same, though - you do need that "I'll turn around" angle, except you don't actually need to turn around). If for no other reason, get these notes for North of the Border. It is pure genius.

Shades Change - the magician takes a coin in his hand and squeezes it, turning his hand over. He then turns it immediately back up and opens it, revealing the coin to be bent! It happens impossibly fast and looks great, but it's not as visual as other coin bends, and I think it happens a little TOO fast to be believable or as fun as other coin bends. Don't take that to mean the audience will figure this one out - they won't. If you don't mind the speed, this is an extremely deceptive and potent coin bend.

Glimmer - I'd never heard of this type of gimmick in my albeit brief time in magic, but now I'm glad I have. This is a classic magician's gimmick which is seen very rarely these days, built the Sean Fields way. He takes you through how to build and hide the tiny gimmick and gives you a routine to use with it. A card is freely selected and the back turned towards you. Without ever seeing the front, you are able to discern the card. The card remains in full view the entire time and is not forced. The deck can be borrowed and shuffled by the spectator, and you can even go through the entire routine never touching the card at all. You will need to briefly touch the spectator's hand to reposition them, but it won't be questioned.

Shimmer - A bigger yet stronger version of the Glimmer gimmick, this one you'll be able to make for free - you're guaranteed to have the necessary materials in your house right now (and if you don't, you have a weird family). This gimmick allows you to have a spectator write a word, number, or even draw a simple picture on a business card (or similar item) and just by holding it, you gain the information off the card. You can then reveal it however you want - mind reading, psychic drawing, whatever. Seems tricky to use at first, but with proper handling, this one's a gem. (Experiment - I found out a piece of jewelry I already owned was essentially a smaller version of this gimmick. I've used it to reveal cards, and no one's detected the gimmick, instead searching the back of the cards for the hidden marking they just KNOW has to be there)

Wandering Eyes - This one's so easy you'll laugh. Riffle through the cards, looking away as you do. The spectator calls stop and sees the card. The deck is closed, no breaks are held, yet you know the card instantly. No force is used. Your mileage may vary, but this one is slightly painful for me to perform, so I don't. It's still a really great effect.

Materialism - Four blank cards are shown front and back, and one is picked. A playing card is also picked. The chosen blank card is sandwiched in the spectator's hands, and when they open their hands, ghostly writing has scrawled out the name of their card on it! Very spooky, very easy, and an overall great effect. Has a theme of mischievous spirits attached to the routine, though the possibilities are endless.

Bloody Mary - You have to love this one: a make-up compact is introduced and examined, set on the table. The names of everyone present are written down on cards, and one name is selected. You all begin to recount the tale of Bloody Mary, and chant her name - and the compact moves by itself! Opening it, the spectator finds the mirror to be cracked, and the selected name written across the cracked mirror in blood red! Two methods are taught - one with your compact and one with a borrowed compact. The borrowed compact will be permanently damaged, and it only works with certain ones, so 9 times out of 10 you'll use the first method, though the second is good to know about. The routine is designed to be performed for women: the usage of a compact, and Sean's thesis that guys put on a macho image and refuse to be scared, yet girls react better and let themselves be spooked. I have to agree. Lots of fun with this one, and it's unique as well as a visual shocker. I'm currently trying to work in some audio to the mirror cracking (no such solution is offered in the notes).

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 1, 2007
The Serpentine Spoon - Need a new spoon bend? Don't know any, and want a cool, visual one? Here you go - a spoon is borrowed, flipped over, and the bowl is rubbed against the palm. In seconds, it actually bends up, resembling a cobra ready to strike (hence the name). The spoon is then shown to be severely bent. Even if you know nothing about metal building, like myself, you'll be able to perform this. The illusion of it bending up is so cool.

E.Z.P. - Rhine cards are introduced (the ESP cards with all the funky symbols on them). The spectator cuts the deck in half. You each get a half and select a card. Both your card and the spectator's match. Not only that, but you reveal you had predicted a card before the effect even began - you reveal this card too, and it also matches the cards you picked. Very easy to do (a common theme among these effects, yet they all play big).

Quality Control - Sean says quite clearly NOT to do this effect, yet he gives you so many pointers and structures it out so clearly that you wonder if he's saying that merely to cover his own ass should someone actually go and perform this. It is dangerous, be forewarned, and isn't for everyone. A bunch of different sodas are introduced and the spectator picks one for you to drink, free choice. You guzzle it down in one big chug, then throw the bottle away. The rest of the bottles are opened and poured out by the spectator and seen to all contain a lethal collection of razor blades, needles, pins, thumbtacks, and other such objects. The method is clever but can't withstand inspection, and the method itself is a bit unsanitary for my liking. Which is good, as we're not supposed to perform this anyway.

Pulling P.K. - the magician takes a key off his key chain, has it inspected, then rubs it. It immediately develops a severe bend, and can then be immediately examined right after. The method to this is really cool and involves a homemade gimmick - however, you have to use your own key.

Pulling Teeth - Simply amazing concept. Take a blank key with no teeth, run your fingers across - sparks literally FLY FROM YOUR FINGERS as you drag them across, engraving teeth into the key! This uses a gimmick I'd never heard of before, and as I don't own it, I can't say for sure how this one plays. But it looks awesome.

N.W.O. - a gimmick here: a 4-way out envelope.

Gate 99 - a cards across routine, where two spectators think of two cards. Packets are given out, and cards jump from packet to packet. The spectators discover that their thought of cards are the culprits. The magician then names the thought of cards. Requires some tricky sleights and either a gimmicked deck or, handily enough, the Glimmer device found earlier in the book. I'm not really a card guy, but this looks really good in the right hands. The best part is that the cards are merely thought of.

Corinda2K5 - One spectator thinks of a three digit number, which is written down and sealed in an envelope. This envelope is then pinned to a second spectator's shirt in the back. You begin counting off numbers, and the spectator is instructed to stop you when they feel the right number has been reached. They correctly identify the three digit number within the envelope! No stooges are used. A common magician's gimmick is required.

While you may not like all the effects within, there's definitely something for everyone here. Those looking for strong mentalism should give it a try, however I recommend starting with Explicit Content, then heading to X-rated.

Sep 6, 2007
Glimmer - I'd never heard of this type of gimmick in my albeit brief time in magic, but now I'm glad I have. This is a classic magician's gimmick which is seen very rarely these days, built the Sean Fields way. He takes you through how to build and hide the tiny gimmick and gives you a routine to use with it. A card is freely selected and the back turned towards you. Without ever seeing the front, you are able to discern the card merely by holding it (the card isn't forced, either). How long you need to hold it depends on how good you are with the Glimmer gimmick. Get REALLY good, and all you need to do is pass your hands by the card as the spectator holds it. The card remains in full view the entire time.

Glimmer is one of my all time favorite effects. I just wanted to correct a few things. You never touch the spectator's card and you surely do not hold it. I don't know where you got that from. I guess you could hold there card, but that would take away alot from the trick.

The gimmick is very easy to use. I had it down in with about 5 minute of practice and that was it. You might have to shop around for the item needed. There are some items that make this trick so much easier. The item I have makes this simple, but some make it much harder.

The spectator can bring his own deck, shuffle it, take out a card, put it against his chest, yet you can tell him what card he picked. It is as simple as that and kills!

Nov 1, 2007
After re-reading it, you're right - you need only to hold their hand and not the card (you gently push their hand against their chest, as if positioning it where you want it). My initial reading of the effect seems to have made that confusion. I'll edit the above post.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
So this is recommended?
Can I just clear something up about Sean's other book, Explicit Content? I read a review for that and the effects in the book just sound too good to be true, yet loads of people said not to get it, not recommended etc. Any explanation for this? Will I be disappointed if I get either of these books? Just wondering, thanks.
Adam B

Dec 6, 2007
Knoxville, TN
Materialism is the strongest effect in this book period.
Get some blank cards and make a 25 pack paranormal research symbols (Just random shapes/designs) that were used in the 30's to test for supernatural ability. Tell the audience these are the exact symbols used in those experiments.

Sure it's a big life, but they'll never know.
I've SLAYED people with materialism.

I performed this effect for the entire staff at Hard Rock Cafe in Kona, Hawaii and had the servers screaming.

His Serpentine spoon bend is also a regular effect i perform.
Strong material rests in this book.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I've got his first, explicit content - If that's anything to go buy I can't recommend this enough.

Sean has a very real way of thinking, he know's that not everyone wants to go out and buy expensive gimmicks and whatknot, so comes up with novel new solutions.

I might go and pick this up now!

D.

!

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for the kind words regarding my work! I am quite proud of the material within the pages of both of these books; the effects are not for everyone, nor every situation, but unleash any one of the effects contained at the right moment...

Thanks again,

Sean

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results