Xtreme Beginners Volume II

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
This is my first review and I'm glad to be doing it on this awesome DVD set. So let’s get right into it.

Disc 1

Penspinning- Robert Heim

This section is very well taught. I've been into penspinning for about two weeks before this DVD came out but it still helped me correct some mistakes I had. The teaching is very clear and you really can't get confused. The moves are repeated many, many times so you don't have to pause and rewind. This section is divided into 4 parts: Basic Moves (Thumbaround, Finger Pass, Charge, and Sonic), Basic Combos, What's Next?, and Advanced Combos. The basic moves are taught with a lot of detail with voice-overs. The other 3 sections basically just shows you a combo and then slows it down so it might be harder to learn but hey, you cant cram details on that many moves into 1 hour. A word of caution to people who are interested in getting into penspinning: IT TAKES A LOT OF PRACTICE. A lot more than you'd think. The beginner tricks are 10 times as hard as beginner card flourishes and card tricks. But it’s well worth the time. In the end, Robert Heim also gives you some ideas on combining flourishing and penspinning.

Basic Moves:
Thumbaround
Thumaround Reverse
Thumbaround Harmonic
Finger Pass
Finger Pass Reverse
Charge
Charge Reverse
Sonic
Sonic Reverse

Basic Combos:
Twisted Sonic
Double Charge
Sonic Rise -> Pass Reverse (continuous)
Thumaround Reverse -> Sonic -> Thumaround
Sonic Fall Harmonic

Card Throwing- Rick Smith Jr.

Omg! What an awesome technique. Believe me, once you learn Rick's card throwing grip and release, you'll never throw cards differently again. On the first try, I managed to throw a card like 20 feet until it hit the wall and the card was dented. Ya, its that powerful. Rick also teaches you the classic boomerang card and how to incorporate card throwing into your routines. second best section on the DVD in my opinion.

Basic Dice Stacking- De'vo

I've wanted a proper instruction on dice stacking for a while, and finally, i got it! De'vo goes through all the basics in this section. He talks about cups, dice, grips, and surfaces. Then he goes into detail about the stacking. How to pick up, how to shake/swing the cup, and how to stop. He also shows you the science behind all of it. I really enjoyed this one.

Disc 2

Palmback Fans- Ciappi

A lot of you are gonna like this section. You can finally learn how to properly do a palm back fan. He goes into detail about the grip and how to fan. People who have learned this off of performance are missing one huge bit, which he teaches you. He also teaches you the giant palm back fan and the arena display.

Fans:
Basic Palmback Fan
Giant Palmback Fan
Arena Display (a one hand fan with a pbf balanced on top)

XB1 Routine- Jerry

I was surprised at how small Jerry's section was. He goes through an entire, flowing routine using the moves in XB1. Its a nice and easy routine if someone tells you to do some flourishes for them on the spot. Obviously, you should master the moves in XB1 Before attempting this. He also shows you 2 variations on the deck twirl. I really wished he could have taught L-cuts or something =(.

Xb1 Routine
Flipback Twirl
Flipback Twirl: Deck Division

Two Handed Cuts- d+M

Whether or not you like this section depends on whether you've got a lot of Daniel Madison stuff or not. I didn't have any DVD’s or anything from d+M so I really enjoyed it. He goes through 5 cuts in detail: Bicycle, Turnover, Twisted Rain, Lethal, and Symphony Run 2. So if you have Dangerous or Lethal you really have no use for this section. If you don't, then I’m sure you will really like it.

XCM/ Dice stacking Hybrid- De'vo

BEST SECTION ON THE DVD....PERIOD! De'vo has gotta have the most creative mind to come up with using cards and even the card box to stack dice. He goes through every stack in detail. It's advisable to learn the basic dice stacking in disc 1 though. And these do take a lot of practice. But again, its well worth it. He also shows you , many advanced applications including his "Untouchable" Sequence (the final routine in the trailer). Again, BEST SECTION ON THE DVD!!!!!!

Fun

This is like an extras section. In the submenu, you get to see Angelina perform some flourishes

Charlier Challenge- Geez, this is a tough challenge. Its perfect for out smarting anyone with knows the classic charlier and may also add a new flourish to your repertoire. I won't reveal the challenge here cuz that would spoil the fun. Let's see if YOU can complete this on your first try (don't worry De'vo will teach it to you id you cant).

Bloopers 2- More bloopers from the shooting of XB1. If you have the first DVD, you should know what to expect.

Out to Eat- Q and Jerry go out to a Japanese restaurant and sees a manipulating chef. He sortta does "food manipulation". If you've ever been to a restaurant like this you'll know what its like, i was lucky enough to see this for myself =). Also it includes Jerry's infamous sunglasses manipulation routine.

Overall, i give this DVD set a 9.5/10. The .5 was taken off cuz I felt some parts were a bit rushed. But its a great DVD nonetheless, and i highly recommend it. So ya, that’s my review. Enjoy!

P.S. Let me know if you spot any grammar mistakes. Sometimes I’m careless when I type fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
well, a lot of people at Decknique, or at least from my experience, look down on De'vo and his style.

Sep 1, 2007
well, a lot of people at Decknique, or at least from my experience, look down on De'vo and his style.

They also seem to hate just about everything in general. I only ever lurk there because most of the threads I see are either them complaining about something, or eventually degenerate into complaining about something. Kind of like what happens here, now that I think of it...

Anyway, I'll pick this up sometime after Christmas.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Your such a frakin hipocrit(spl.) dude, its not even funny. You post a thread pretty much calling flourishing pointless, asking people what the reasoning behind it is, yet you still want to buy this dvd. So whats the deal? Have you changed you opinions on flourishing, or are you just being yourself, a snotty E fanboy who would buy anything they released?

Dead man walking. :rolleyes: You realise, that this is a Handlordz product not an E product right? You realise E is not the only place selling it right? As in... Steer would probably pick it up even if E didn't sell it. Just 'cause he's a mod over there on the forums does not make him obligated to be a fanboy. (Man I'm in a ranty mood today)

On a lighter note, I'm probably gonna pick this up for the pen-spinning, dice-stacking and card throwing.

Always wanted to learn dice stacking, just never could. :p

- Sean

Sep 1, 2007
Your such a frakin hipocrit(spl.) dude, its not even funny. You post a thread pretty much calling flourishing pointless, asking people what the reasoning behind it is, yet you still want to buy this dvd. So whats the deal? Have you changed you opinions on flourishing, or are you just being yourself, a snotty E fanboy who would buy anything they released?

The problem with accusing me of sh*t like this, is that it's very easy to prove you wrong.

Let's start with the accusation that I'm a fanboy who will buy anything my allegedly favorite company. Here's a list of products sold at E that I have not bought, nor do I plan to buy.

Ninja 1
Ultra Gaff deck and DVD
Stained Skin tattoos and DVD
Fallen
BentTouchSlink (not released yet, but you get the message)
Axis
Box Monster
Fraud
Kaos
MindBender
Slam!
Glass
Indecent
Revolution
Juan Hundred Dollar Bill Switch
Magic with the iPhone
Extreme Burn

Hmm... Well that puts that accusation to bed (and murders it in its sleep).

Now let's move on to me being an arrogant pr*ck. Guilty as charged. Next!

The accusation that I dismiss flourishing and card manipulation as pointless. This one could quickly be countered by explaining the simple fact that I own XB 1 and Jeff McBride's Art of Card Manipulation. But instead I would like to refer you to this post:

http://forums.theory11.com/showpost.php?p=132977&postcount=18

So there's no chance of you missing the point, let me quote the specific passage in that post that I want you to pick up on.

To put it another way, I like manipulation as an entertainment and I ask these questions because they're necessary.

Next time you want to accuse me of something, you better be bloody well sure you're right.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert

OOOUUUUCCCHHHHHH, Why do you express yourself like that??? If your are going to open your mouth(or in this case use your hands) just to disrespect another forum member, then dont do it, If there is nothing you can say that can contribute something to the thread, DONT SAY NOTHING, and if you have something against steer, then, there are PM for a reason.

Cheers!! ( man I like your posts, but I thought you were more mature.)

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
OOOUUUUCCCHHHHHH, Why do you express yourself like that??? If your are going to open your mouth(or in this case use your hands) just to disrespect another forum member, then dont do it, If there is nothing you can say that can contribute something to the thread, DONT SAY NOTHING, and if you have something against steer, then, there are PM for a reason.

Cheers!! ( man I like your posts, but I thought you were more mature.)

Aww im not contributing nothing to the forum......

Ammm, hey Im into the card throwing , can I kill someone with it(just kidding)

I would buy it but IM not into dice stacking, maybe daniel madison section, But I have ordered dangerous already(still waiting)

So I think is a dvd I would not buy.

CHeers!(again)

Sep 1, 2007
Sorry, but a lot of people have been questioning flourishing lately, and it pisses me off. I apologize to Steerpike, I was out of line, but you must understand where I'm coming from. Imagine someone telling you magic is pointless. Thats how I feel when someone says flourishing is pointless. I love doing it, so its not pointless at all. Again, I apologize, I was just insulting you because I was pissed about the subject already discussed. No hard feelings?

I edited my post btw.

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
EDITED: Darian pwned my post xD

P.S. Excuse me magic shadow but are you a newbie on cardistry, arent you?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
steer thinks differently so hes immediately a WITCHH!!!

just kidding steer, i always find your posts fascinating. anyway, to the point, id pick up the dvd for the card throwing. always wanted to watch rick smith jr teach it.

Jan 31, 2008
even shoeman who is from HL said the DVD was bad :S..

Dont talk without knowing..

Get your facts straight foolio. If you know that shoe "is" from HL you should know his ass was banned from there a Looooooong time ago, he's been hardcore hatin on HL ever since. I swear, shoe and nebelfuchs saw XB II just so they could say **** about it and try to lower sales. But anyways....

Don't talk without knowing....

and jamal I couldn't have stated that more clear.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results