Your Favorite Mentalism Effect?

Dec 18, 2009
If its the "magician's choice" then i think that a lot of people are familiar with this type of force ...

Yes probably. I'm not a huge mentalist though. The reason why it's my favorite is because it's the only one I know...lol.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
There are many ways to answer this question so I do know really know where to begin.

A good drawing dupe is always nice and can play big and small. My personal favourites are Sneak Thief (Max Maven's Desire), Transmission by Marc Spelmann and Ian Rowland's no method Design Dupe.

I have recently fallen back in love with Prevaricator, since the DVD came out.

A good phone effect is also very nice I personally use a Rock Paper Scissors routine.

I don't really do that many predictions in my show however in PS3 Banachek gives an amazing Newspaper one.

The primary reason I don't do too many predictions is that they are often perceived as a trick and are very hard to pull off well.

As for cards well I have a few routines but they only really come out when I am working tables as taking cards out can also make mentalism seem like a trick.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
John Bannon's Twisted Sisters hits very hard when done correctly with Elmsley counts. I close my close up set with this.

Free Will is a nice three wooden disc routine I use on a regular basis that has a prediction in full view prior and during the effect.

Nov 23, 2009
Simon Aronson has a superb mentalism (or mental magic) item in one of his books. It is one of his few non card items and it's a strong effect that is fun to perform, and has an inbuilt emotional hook. I use it all the time.

Sep 1, 2007
Like I said, I was being really optimistic. I'm not sure what combination of controlled substances led me to that, but there you have it.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I perform some sideshow-esque feats in my stage show, the rest being very pure looking mentalism, so my show isn't a straight mentalism act... It's not to say I don't know my mentalism though!

I'm not sure that it really matters whether people are talking mentalism or mental magic, a lot of the time it's the presentation that marks the difference as opposed to the methodology, so any answers to the original question would be valid.

I think the reason that people post "what's you fave..." style threads on a whole is to hear the names of tricks and routines that they haven't heard of before and to see which are highly regarded, from there they can go see the demo or read the synopsis to find out if it's what they're after.

Either way, I love to do name reveals, I use a U.I. close up or an I.M.B on stage and play from there. I highly recommend both, but you'll need an entertaining routine to make either really pay.

DC

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I agree wholeheartly with what Dee said, mentalism in its pure form is mainly dictated by the presentation rather than a method. Patrick Redford does a ACR with the premise of psychological manipulation and it comes off feeling like the real deal.

The problem with a lot of magicians who try their hand at mentalism is that they think the effect is not powerful enough on its own so they add a magic phase to it.

The other big problem that many have is that they do not have a believable back story. Both in their mind and in the mind of the audience. I could post clips of Magen and Derren however you guys can just YouTube yourself.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results