Your opinion on private lessons?

Oct 22, 2008
So I don't know if some of you guys ever gotten this offered to you but I was wondering about your opinion. So my mom's boss, his son who is like 10 has started to watch my youtube videos daily and admires my magic etc. And his dad told me that he want's to really start getting into it. So he asked me maybe to give him like weekly private lessons. I mean it is for money and my mom says the family is wealthy lol. But I just wanted to hear what your thoughts are. I was also wondering if I were to give him these lessons how much would I charge, also I would feel that I might need to charge a little less considering the kids father is my mom's boss lol.

-Jake

May 4, 2009
Well first of all you have to ask yourself how qualified you are for such a task. I cant say anything about that because I dont know you. :p You have to rate yourself there and be as honest as possible.
And the next question would be how serious this kid is about it. Does he really want to get into it or is he only interested in knowing secrets and stuff. Anyway, if you`re fine with the answers to these questions I think you might give it a try.
And as how much to charge...oh well I dont really know. I gave private lessons in math before and charged about 15-20 bucks an hour which is a normal price for private lessons regarding school as far as I know (at least where I live). Maybe that helps to orientate yourself. ;)

Jul 14, 2008
To tell you the truth, I know that I do not have experience with this, but I agreed this answer above me. Ask yourself a question. 10 years old.....if he is willing to commit magic, then you may want to teach him with some basics like sponge balls or something.

Oct 22, 2008
To tell you the truth, I know that I do not have experience with this, but I agreed this answer above me. Ask yourself a question. 10 years old.....if he is willing to commit magic, then you may want to teach him with some basics like sponge balls or something.

yah, I know I think maybe it would be a good idea to sit the kid down and talk to him before giving him a real lesson. Ask what he wants to do, etc and if he really wants to commit to this.

depending on how into it he the son is you should teach him certain tricks. For example teach him a kinda hard trick as a test. If he is really into it and masters it i would teach him another hard trick i would want him to master. If he passes 3 of those tests then i would actually start to teach him the good material, like 2 card monte and ACR or whatever. I know it sounds kinda cheap and like a rip off but hey, its better then teaching him the trick and not be that interested in it.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I don't think a test would be a good idea. Just talk to the kid first and simply ask him if he really wants to learn some stuff or if he simply enjoys watching it.

I'm sorry I got to this thread so late, I can already tell that most of what I've got to say is going to be a re-hash of what some of our other forum friends have said but here goes:

1. Make sure you, yourself, are ready to be giving lessons and teaching. I'd make sure you know the material that you're going to teach completely so to best instruct the neophyte.

2. Probably a good idea to sit down with the kid (AND!) his parents and have a nice long heart to heart discussion about magic, this kids desires, goals, aspirations, and personal back ground before you even do the first lesson. Parents are a funny breed of animal; they often interpret passing acknowledgement for something in their kids life for genuine interest. In short, dad may think this kid wants to be the next Copperfield but this kid may not even have a desire to develop anything beyond three piles of seven.

2.5. The reason why Mom or Dad needs to be there is so you can involve them in te conversation and gauge how supportive they'll be for the young kid.

3. I'd charge no more than $50 an hour at your level. You're not known for this, you've never taught before (I assume), and you've got no teaching credentials yet (I assume.) if you wanted to give this guy a break I'd go down to $35 (BUT inform him you'd normally charge $50/hour. You have to understand that this mark is your moms boss. He's a businessman by nature. So he'd probably not expect you to low-ball him. (give him too cheap of a price) But if you give him a break, tell him how much you'd normally charge to build value in yourself.

4. I'd also structure your education plan into an X amount long period of time. This insures you'll get a paycheck for a defined duration of time.

May 1, 2009
UK
Lessons..

Personal i think if someone is truly into a subject thay will learn the info off there own back. & nower days this info is easily found, so i would give him or her homework just to see how dedicated there are on this subject (Magic).

Oct 22, 2008
yah so basically I will sit down with the kid and see how deticated he is to performing magic, yet don't forget guys, thiis is a 9 or 10 year old were talkin about incase u forgot...

yah, I know I think maybe it would be a good idea to sit the kid down and talk to him before giving him a real lesson. Ask what he wants to do, etc and if he really wants to commit to this.
yeah i agree...and to add to this...this is what i want you to do.....

take every lesson slow instead of a once a week lesson, stretch it out to two weeks, and for every move, pass, effect, or routine you teach, tell him the reason behind it...give him to time perfect it...also hold quizes for him..really mold the kid......anyone can learn magic....only the dedicated and educated ones in the philosophy understands it, see when you are done, he just like you will have to become creative....

as for the charge, since you are teaching effects you've studied, read, and took time to perfect....charge the parents 60% of what the effects cost......if not that...i'd charge the family per session, or per level of the effect...start off with the novice stuff...like finger, and body magic..then move to the cards...break down the moves...the passes...the cheats...all the nuances...but honestly i can't truly tell you what to charge...just the break the bank on him....

but make sure he knows the seriousness and meaning of every effect...hey, if he's 10 he obviously has a lot to learn and a lot of time on his hand....imagine if you are prepping the next copperfield or burton....that in itself will be an accomplishment, you never know the kid may end up teaching you something by stumbling on something never before done....

this is a great career move....although its not a career..but hey, the sky is the limits...

Jan 13, 2008
I think the best post to be pulled out of there is this one, by DannyT. What credentials do you have that would make you a good choice as a teacher (a paid teacher, none-the-less)? That seems like something better left to the pros (whether that be in real life, by book, or by DVD). I would ask, what can you offer as a teacher in addition to what is provided in a book (like the Royal Road)? In other words, what do you bring to the table that isn't already in the book? A live demonstration? In which case, if that's the type of learning necessary for the student (visual learner), I'd suggest DVDs (not just any DVDs, or one trick DVDs, either). :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results