Your Thoughts: Women in the Industry?

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
I think that many girls don't even consider magic, because the standard props and themes aren't.... well... girly.

Gender DOES make a difference. Anybody watch Kim Wyatt on Celebracadabra? Still want to argue that being a girl doesn't make a difference? It made a HUGE difference on how I perceived her magic. She's gorgeous, smart, sexy... and if that chair levitation had worked right she might have made it all the way.

I don't believe it helps girls in magic to treat them as "one of the guys". I believe that more gals like Funovits and Katie E are needed to set the example for female performers who are skilled, but still distinctly feminine.

Jan 13, 2008
It made a HUGE difference on how I perceived her magic. She's gorgeous, smart, sexy...
This makes sense--being attractive brings about with it some assumptions that people tend to make (usually unconsciously); attractive people are assumed to be more friendly, intelligent, and socially competent, for example (even in the absence of any other information about them, other than just looking at them).

That being said, more attractive female magicians is never a bad thing (for either gender ;)).

Sep 1, 2007
This makes sense--being attractive brings about with it some assumptions that people tend to make (usually unconsciously); attractive people are assumed to be more friendly, intelligent, and socially competent, for example (even in the absence of any other information about them, other than just looking at them).

It's called the halo effect.

Guys,

Really? Seroiusly?

This has been discussed.

Remember the main demographic of this forum.

Jan 13, 2008
It's called the halo effect.
I'm glad you knew what I was referring to--the name was on the tip of my tongue, and was barely escaping me, heh. But yes, I was referring to the halo effect.

Just to note, there's also a reverse halo effect--so having an undesirable trait can influence how you're perceived (more negatively, obviously), as well. Moral of the story? Practice your effects to (near) perfection before you go trying to make a name for yourself--first impressions really are important, as they colour your reputation from that point on.

Aug 5, 2008
well, i THINK tht most girls don't do magic is because most girls don't want to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollers and all their free time on learning how to be cheap...thts jus my take.

What?I don't understand what you said can you please say it again. are you saying that we don't do magic because we are cheap?

I think the main reason is that there more fun stuff out there, To tell you the truth I would have rather be in the Movies or the Mall with my friends than practicing sleights or Flourishes. The reason I do it is because my daddy was a magician and he taught me Since I was a child, otherwise I wouldn't be into it. I sacrificed some hours because I loved Magic because I grew into it but not everyone has that opportunity.

Right now I'm not into as I used to be but I still love it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results