YouTube Petition!

OK...I lied. Let me say this much.

The only time that Youtube will consider something copyrighted is when it's the actual video that's uploaded. For example, say someone uploaded the video of Aaron Fisher teaching Panic. That would be considered copyright.

If it's just some average kid exposing the effect, then Youtube is under no obligation to do anything. Don't believe me? I've had a nice long conversation about this very topic with Lee Asher. There's nothing Youtube can do about some kid teaching a trick...

Also, I too have NEVER EVER had anyone mention that they know how I do something.

Just my thoughts...
Steve

Sep 2, 2007
Guys, seriously, another youtube thread? Are you kidding? How many of these things exist? How many people hate youtube? Has it changed anything? Nope. If youtube exposure bothers you so much, here's a tip. . . don't browse youtube. I can honestly say that I have NEVER done an effect and had a spectator go, "Hey, I saw that on youtube, and he's doing (insert method of your favorite trick)." If you're being affected buy or seeing youtube exposure, it's probably because you're going out looking for it, not because it's affecting your magic or your spectators. Just leave it alone and let the youtubers do their thing. You'll be way more productive if you spend less time on the computer being appalled about youtube and more time practicing and performing your magic.l

Sep 1, 2007
Also, I too have NEVER EVER had anyone mention that they know how I do something.

Steve is also a working professional putting himself out there more often than a lot of us, so when he says stuff like this it tends to give his words a certain credibility, doesn't it?

Sep 4, 2007
Guys, seriously, another youtube thread? Are you kidding? How many of these things exist? How many people hate youtube? Has it changed anything? Nope. If youtube exposure bothers you so much, here's a tip. . . don't browse youtube. I can honestly say that I have NEVER done an effect and had a spectator go, "Hey, I saw that on youtube, and he's doing (insert method of your favorite trick)." If you're being affected buy or seeing youtube exposure, it's probably because you're going out looking for it, not because it's affecting your magic or your spectators. Just leave it alone and let the youtubers do their thing. You'll be way more productive if you spend less time on the computer being appalled about youtube and more time practicing and performing your magic.l

Yeah Really we should just forget it. It's really pointless... Just get new stuff if it bothers you. Practace and practace so spectators will be so dumbfounded they wont be able to remember how u did it!

Sep 1, 2007
austria
Jesus cross-dressing Christ on a bike...

Fine. If you guys are this intent on wasting your time making videos

ok, here's the thing:

first, we wouldn't have to waste alot of time, because i imagined it like that: someone makes a very small video that just says something like haha you stupid guy, this is not a tutorial, uploads it somewhere everyone can download it, we all download the vid and upload it to youtubue with lots of different descriptions and titles.

second, i know you can't stop exposure, but just getting it off youtube, or at least making it more annoying and harder to find real tuts there, would be a good thing. if someone tries really hard to find a revealed magic trick online, he will much probably succeed, but every 7year old can watch magic tricks on youtube, that's a different thing.

by the way i do totally get your point, i just behave the same way as you and just don't let go off my position, not even a little.

anyway, it all comes down to this:

"fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics: even if you win, you're still reterded

Sep 1, 2007
first, we wouldn't have to waste alot of time, because i imagined it like that: someone makes a very small video that just says something like haha you stupid guy, this is not a tutorial, uploads it somewhere everyone can download it, we all download the vid and upload it to youtubue with lots of different descriptions and titles.

That is the worst idea I've ever heard.

just getting it off youtube, or at least making it more annoying and harder to find real tuts there,

Neither of which is going to happen.

but every 7year old can watch magic tricks on youtube, that's a different thing.

How many of them do? You're operating under this paranoid dellusion that 99% of the population is at your throat, just waiting for a chance to debunk and publicly humiliate you.

by the way i do totally get your point, i just behave the same way as you and just don't let go off my position, not even a little.

There's a difference between being stubborn and being a mule-headed fool.

"fighting on the internet is like running in the special olympics: even if you win, you're still reterded

Am I supposed to be impressed with your ability to quote bumper stickers?

I'm trying to explain the truth to some of you, but you're too busy making excuses for yourselves to listen. You say you understand my point, but if you did you would actually listen to what I and Steven and others have to say.

Sep 1, 2007
Ohio
www.myspace.com
On this topic....

Maybe post videos on Youtube under disguise of a magic tutorial, and just explaine in your video that what they are doing only hurts themselves, by watching explanations of tricks that are taught just horribly. And then say, if you are serious about magic, then go to..... and plug Theory11 :)

and then Jon gives you a call and says, "hey, you wanna be our marketing director?"

haha

Hawk7, man I was totally kidding about this.

Maybe this thread should be left to die off?

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
steerpike...last time i checked...these forums were meant to help further magic as a whole, what we are trying to do is stop people from exposing tricks for free, that some great men like w:h have spent a lot of time working on. well so far i have seen you do nothing but bash any and all ideas that are brought up to combat exposure. well you are posting in a thread were you are not really helping to further my magic, or anybody elses magic, in fact you seem to not want to stop exposure?

well what i am trying to say is that we really dont need to listen to you bash everyone else, so would you please just leave this thread alone?

Thanks!
-BRad

I'll step in here and take some of the bashing for Steerpike... :D

Why is everyone criticizing the kid?? Seriously, he's a realist. So am I. And so is everyone else that understands that it's IMPOSSIBLE IMPOSSIBLE IMPOSSIBLE to get all the exposure videos off of youtube. That's never going to happen. And to say you're going to get a petition together to stop it is setting yourself up for failure and unrealistic goals.

Want to help stop exposure? Don't participate in it. It's that simple...I'm sure you all aren't anyways. If you all spent the time worrying about your magic this much as you do exposure, great magicians would be a dime a dozen!! LOL!! :D

Just my thoughts...
Steve

Sep 1, 2007
in fact you seem to not want to stop exposure?

Oh Christ! I didn't think you were dumb enough to pull a strawman argument on me.

Listen to me as hard as you possibly can, because this is the last time I'm going to say it.

Petitions to YouTube have repeatedly failed in the past. You are not the one to make the difference. It failed because YouTube do not owe us anything. We are not important enough to matter to them, and no petition is going to matter to them.

I'm trying to convince you to give up this hollow, immature, self-righteous crusade and further your magic, yes read that again! Further your magic by actually practicing your magic! Sounds like crazy-talk I know, but just humor me on this one.

And since I know you'll come back with "Then why aren't you practicing your magic?", the whole time I've been perusing these boards, I've been practicing my coin sleights and XCM when not typing.

Now, the point of an online forum is open discussion. That means that whether you like it or not, you have to expose yourself to opposing points of view. You have to listen to opposing arguments. If you can't accept that, you have no place on the internet as you're too emotionally immature to handle anything other than people nodding and saying "Yes, dear."

So far all you've done is complain about people who didn't drink that big glass of Kool-Aid you offered them and join in your little faux Spartacus routine. You haven't listened to anything we've said, you've just spun a lot of immature rationalizations to justify your behaviour.

This is all a very long way of saying that you're clearly a child who's idea of debate is responding with, "Well, you're an idiot." So go ahead and waste your time on repeating history, kid. The rest of us are busy becoming better magicians.

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
first of all, i have taken everything, everyone has said, read it, then made my decisions on what to say, or think. quite frankly, today i spent almost 3-1/2 hours street performing outside and inside my local shopping mall today, i earned almost $425 dollars in the time period. towards the end of my crusade, one of the people i was performing for said to me, after i had finished performing my modified version of 2cm (i hope you know what that stands for) a kid (couldnt be older than 12!) said to me and his parents, i know how you did that, i saw it on youtube! so when i came home, i laid down on my couch, and had the idea to start this petition, so i did, and while doing some graphic design for a friend i have been checking back to see whats been going on. so far there have been a 1/2 a dozen people that agree with me, quite a few that dont. so you dont like my idea. okay i understand i see exactly why you dont agree with me, and i have spent my share of time today working on my magic. so i think that its fair to say that we can have our differences, you have stated your ideas, i have stated mine, and now i think that we want to here everyone else's, so why dont we stop arguing and let the rest people of this wonderful forum state thier opinions?

Sep 1, 2007
so why dont we stop arguing and let the rest people of this wonderful forum state thier opinions?

Very well. As a parting message, I state again that YouTube is not going to care how many signatures you collect. If you stumble across an exposure video every now and again, you can have it flagged. But Hollywood and the RIAA have something we don't that gives them more clout to swing aroung the heads of the site's owners: an assload of money, and an armada of lawyers.

That's why they get their way, and we don't.

It's been a long time since someone said to me, "I saw how you do that on YouTube." Almost a year. I've had a couple people say to me, "I'm going to lood this up on the internet and find out how you did it." To which I laugh and say, "You can also find out how to tune a guitar to Drop D, that doesn't mean you know how to play the guitar."

Sep 3, 2007
You can't stop exposure from happening!

You're arrogant and a fool if you think otherwise. It's not YouTube's fault you're getting caught, it's your own. When Gary Darwin saw the Thumb Tip exposed on national TV, he got some friends together and went out with a TT painted bright red and did an entire day of nothing but TT magic. You know how many times he got caught? Zero.

Now, shouldn't that be a level you should aspire to? A real magician knows that exposure won't affect him because he can rise above it. That's the proactive, intelligent, mature thing to do.

What's your excuse?

well said well said brother. =D

actually i have heard of this suggestion pop up in one forum before regarding expose. We magicians take turns to make fake "exposure videos" and post the youtube link on the main thread. then everyone can take turns to give 5 star ratings and awesome comments to the "exposure videos", while driving up its view count. if it all works out, youtube could soon be swarmed with fake magic tutorials that it would be so frustrating to find any decent tutorial without having to sift out all the garbage. =D

well said well said brother. =D

actually i have heard of this suggestion pop up in one forum before regarding expose. We magicians take turns to make fake "exposure videos" and post the youtube link on the main thread. then everyone can take turns to give 5 star ratings and awesome comments to the "exposure videos", while driving up its view count. if it all works out, youtube could soon be swarmed with fake magic tutorials that it would be so frustrating to find any decent tutorial without having to sift out all the garbage. =D

No wonder we all became magicians, we obviously have far too much free time on our hands.

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
Freedom sucks sometimes doesn't it? But it beats the alternative.

Let them expose what they want on YouTube. As I've said a million times, and it seems like the same cyclical argument is destined to continue...

Just because they know how you do something doesn't mean they know how you did something.

More importantly, performance is the key to making the trick outstanding. Anyone can walk up and do an ACR through nothing but technique.. but when you start talking about you ability to melt cards through each other, or how it just so happens that the card they chose, the (whatever) is the most interesting card in the deck... blah blah blah....

Oh, and it helps to not do tricks for people who are between the ages of 13 and 16. They have a lot of time on their hands and spend it all on YouTube making videos about burning down fences and kicking people in the nuts. If anyone has too much time on their hands its them...

Yeah, I'm age-ist.. so what? I'm old, it comes with the territory.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results