Z-MAGIC Presents: "The Reason"

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Hmm, I would be careful about using that song. I wouldn't people getting the wrong idea and think that you mean those people who saw you do magic would go home and think, "I saw God today."

Hopefully you are using the song because as a performer, seeing those children light up and smile is how you witness God's good work.

Jul 10, 2010
McAllen, TX
www.wix.com
Hmm, I would be careful about using that song. I wouldn't people getting the wrong idea and think that you mean those people who saw you do magic would go home and think, "I saw God today."

Hopefully you are using the song because as a performer, seeing those children light up and smile is how you witness God's good work.

Wow I didn't even think about that first part! But honestly I did chose it because when I see their reactions It was like I saw God in their faces.

Nov 8, 2007
Yeah, definitely don't use that song. It's way too easy for someone to interpret it as you seeing yourself as a God to the people in the video. Also, it's country--not sure you're going to connect with as many people as you may want to with such a love-hate genre as country. Go for something a little more commercial and diversely appealing.

That said, I'm not sure what the point of the video is exactly. It almost comes across like a self tribute. You said it's to address the question of why you do magic, but I've never in all my years been asked why I do magic, much less been hounded with the question so often I felt the need to make a video to direct people to. Aside from that it doesn't address how you got started as you suggested it did--it's just a tribute to your reactions.

I'm a big softy and a sucker for melodramatic presentations when they're orchestrated with care (Copperfield gets me every time), but this just seems to carry a bit too much pretension with it in my opinion.

Not trying to be negative, just trying to give you genuine feedback, man. Seems like your audiences enjoy your magic. This just feels a bit exploitative of their shared emotions to me.

Jul 10, 2010
McAllen, TX
www.wix.com
Yo! I just wanted to say that I did an audioswap on youtube and changed the song, and I think it goes really well with the slide show. Thanks for the advice Mat and tokyo. I do get asked very often why I do magic, and I am actually shocked that isn't common for ya Mat. I thought all magicians get asked that all the time. Ignorance is bliss I suppose haha. Thanks again for the advice guys!

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Yo! I just wanted to say that I did an audioswap on youtube and changed the song, and I think it goes really well with the slide show. Thanks for the advice Mat and tokyo. I do get asked very often why I do magic, and I am actually shocked that isn't common for ya Mat. I thought all magicians get asked that all the time. Ignorance is bliss I suppose haha. Thanks again for the advice guys!

It´s common for me to get asked that...but to be honest Zack...I don´t feel the need to explain why I started magic, unless somebody really wanted to know...anyways, I find this video a little egotistical, since to be honest when asked why started magic I answer really quickly and sometimes people really don´t care why you started out...I would use this video for promotion to show the reactions of the people and not show why you started magic in the first place...anyways, good luck..

Jul 10, 2010
McAllen, TX
www.wix.com
It´s common for me to get asked that...but to be honest Zack...I don´t feel the need to explain why I started magic, unless somebody really wanted to know...anyways, I find this video a little egotistical, since to be honest when asked why started magic I answer really quickly and sometimes people really don´t care why you started out...I would use this video for promotion to show the reactions of the people and not show why you started magic in the first place...anyways, good luck..

Good idea, your a smart man my friend. I may stick it in my promo DVD. I'll think about it for a while, but I do like the idea. Thanks man.

Jun 1, 2009
Yeah I'm a little confused as well. You started magic because of the reactions you get? How do you know what reactions you get when you are just starting? It's a bit of a conundrum. As a promo, yes I like it. It shows you get good reactions, which must mean you performed it well, which means they see you as a good magician, and so on. As a reason for getting started in magic? I don't see it. If you explain a story (Arthur Atsma did a book test on me, after that I knew that's what I wanted to do) or something along those lines, that's more of a reason as to why you got started. You can't know the outcome if you haven't done it, that's why the reason for the video doesn't make sense.

I hope I explained everything clearly, feel free to tell me if I didn't haha.

Jacob

Jul 10, 2010
McAllen, TX
www.wix.com
Yeah I'm a little confused as well. You started magic because of the reactions you get? How do you know what reactions you get when you are just starting? It's a bit of a conundrum. As a promo, yes I like it. It shows you get good reactions, which must mean you performed it well, which means they see you as a good magician, and so on. As a reason for getting started in magic? I don't see it. If you explain a story (Arthur Atsma did a book test on me, after that I knew that's what I wanted to do) or something along those lines, that's more of a reason as to why you got started. You can't know the outcome if you haven't done it, that's why the reason for the video doesn't make sense.

I hope I explained everything clearly, feel free to tell me if I didn't haha.

Jacob

You explained well, but I am gonna stay the course. It's gotten a couple of likes on youtube and a nice comment. Non-magicians seem to like it so I stand by what I said at the beginning. I do thank you all for the criticism though, always got to take the good with the bad here. I like it, other people like it, so I'm good with it.

Jun 1, 2009
You explained well, but I am gonna stay the course. It's gotten a couple of likes on youtube and a nice comment. Non-magicians seem to like it so I stand by what I said at the beginning. I do thank you all for the criticism though, always got to take the good with the bad here. I like it, other people like it, so I'm good with it.

Fair enough. If you can't stand your ground, you'll get walked on like a rug. Props to sticking to your guns man.

Jacob

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results