Zac's "Road Map for Magic"

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
So Zac Eckstein ( The guy that in my opinion holds the record for more Live performances shared in here and my friend ) Asked me to share with you guys a couple of his essays, why didn't he posted them himself? I don't know, he must have his reasons, but whatever the reasons are, I actually found the essay pretty good and it might help a lot of us :).

So here it is in it's original format:

"Road Map for Magic"

I am now going to describe three of what I like to call "Road Map's For Magic". Each way will take you through each route to get to destination "Magic". Pack your bags because we're going on a road trip!!! But before we leave, here is the list of terminology

Road = Length of Magic Effect
Gas Station = Bantering and interacting with the crowd
Destination = End of Magic Effect
Restaurant = How many times you get off topic
Home Base = Beginning of Magic Road Trip
Amount of Traffic = The More Traffic, the more your audience is paying attention
Hitting a Nail - Getting Heckled

Our first route brings us to "Curvy Back Roads".

We just left home base and we are headed down a nice scenic road filled with many different things, almost to many things. It's kind of hard to drive this road because it's so curvy with twist and turns. It is really shocking that someone would make a road like this... It's been about an hour and we need to stop for gas... Okay, were back on the road! There isn't any traffic today... Another hour passes by... We are hungry so were stopping at a restaurant. Maybe we should get some more Gas while we're here. Yes, we drive a Hummer. Alright here we go! We hit a nail, now we nee to change the flat... We wasted a lot of time changing the tire and nobody stopped to help. It's starting to get dark now... Another hour and a half passes by. It's time to eat dinner. Let's go to the restaurant by the gas station. We need gas again? Okay here we go... 30 min. Pass by... Finally we are at our destination!

What happened there? Well, you started the effect and it dragged on forever and everyone lost interest. You got off topic twice, which is never okay to do. You bantered with the crowd 3 times! You should do that 1 or 2 times at the MOST! Doing that along with getting off topic and the audience getting bored got you a heckler and no one shut him up. No one is here to help you. You as a magician are on your own. You need to make sure the audience is entertained. You struggled to get to the end of the magic effect because of all these factors. Make sure you have a plan, and better scripting that is straight to the point and entertaining!!!

Our second route takes us through "Short Cut Tunnel Drive".

We just left home base and dad says he knows a short cut through some tunnel on the east side of town. Not very scenic though. There is so much traffic down here though! 30 mins. Pass by... Wow we already reached are destination! That was awfully quick!

What happened there? Well, the effect went by so fast your audience didn't have time to process what was going on! Next time you need to slow down and listen to your audience. That adds a unique feel to the show. It's not bad to stop and say something or reply to what an audience member says as long as you stay focused and on track. Most magicians make this type of mistake by rushing through the trick whether it because your nervous or you naturally just do that. Either way you need to slow down when performing. Don't ramble on, but take your time.

Our third route takes us on "The Highway of Prosperity".

We just left home base and the G.P.S. says this is ultimately the most efficient way to get to our destination. Here we go! Medium amount of traffic today, nothing to complain about. 30 mins pass by... We should stop for gas... Okay, we're off! 30 mins pass by... We need to stop for gas one last time and we'll be there in 20 mins. Alright we are at our destination!

What happened there? Well, you had a normal pace of a performance. Your audience wasn't confused nor were they bored. They were ENTERTAINED! You made the performance unique because you stopped to address the crowd, but at the same time you stayed on subject and they enjoyed you more because of it. Good Job!

Now that you know what map to take with you for your next performance, you'll be the better for it! Remember, take your time, don't ignore the crowd, don't get off subject, if you go to slow you'll most likely run into a heckler, if you go to fast your audience will be confused and won't understand what even happened. Good Luck!

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
It is an interesting idea, I'll give it that much.

However, I thought it could be described in a little more detail as to what is happening. This just confussed me the purpose of a metaphor is to make the point you are trying to make clearer for your readers. The problem here is that most people (I assume) on this site do not drive so a lot of the thoughts are lost. Not to mention that your longest drive only takes an hour and a half yet you stop for gass twice and food once. This idea is what really confuses me because as someone who drives it makes no sense.

My advice is get your metaphor clearer in your mind and work from there. I don't want to sound rude either but isn't Zac like 16 or 17 who has only performed street magic. Whilst this is no way an attack at him but why should I take his advice if I am pretty much performing 1 to 1.5 hour stage shows now days.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
It is an interesting idea, I'll give it that much.

However, I thought it could be described in a little more detail as to what is happening. This just confussed me the purpose of a metaphor is to make the point you are trying to make clearer for your readers. The problem here is that most people (I assume) on this site do not drive so a lot of the thoughts are lost. Not to mention that your longest drive only takes an hour and a half yet you stop for gass twice and food once. This idea is what really confuses me because as someone who drives it makes no sense.

My advice is get your metaphor clearer in your mind and work from there. I don't want to sound rude either but isn't Zac like 16 or 17 who has only performed street magic. Whilst this is no way an attack at him but why should I take his advice if I am pretty much performing 1 to 1.5 hour stage shows now days.

I really agree about this...

I got confused when I read this, and I didn´t understan some of them...I think there is other ways to explain this...

btw....where is Zach? it doesn´t make any sense for him to ask you to post his essay...I believe he should have been posted, so he can stand behind everything he say...

Jul 10, 2010
McAllen, TX
www.wix.com
I had my account deleted a while back. I just made one right now because I miss the forums. D ICE R you are right. I just wanted to get across the idea of performing at a good pace, listening to a crowd and responding, not getting off track, etc. The metaphor is kind of weak though. I perform stage and stand-up quite often though. I've really posted street stuff. If you don't want to listen to me, don't. You are on your way, and I am on mine. Just thought some people might appreciate it.

- Zac Eckstein

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I don't want to sound rude either but isn't Zac like 16 or 17 who has only performed street magic. Whilst this is no way an attack at him but why should I take his advice if I am pretty much performing 1 to 1.5 hour stage shows now days.

While I do agree that the metaphor could have been clearer, I do disagree with this. In my opinion this is a pretty arrogant statement, and you do not know everything. We sometimes have to be a little bit more humble and learn from others, even if they "know" less than us.

I don't mean that in a rude way.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The point I was trying to make is that there is a completely different dynamic between close up and stage. I am constantly bantering with my audience for example in my Q&A I only give about 6 to 8 readings / answers. And during each of them I am talking to people asking questions just fishing for off shot hits and things like that.

I want my audience to as much of my show as I am so I force the audience to have a chat with me. For most of my effects when I select a person from the audience I will have a little chat with them on stage before I go onto any effect with them. I perform more like a stand up comedian in that regard. Asking if people are enjoying the show and how their day was.

Jul 10, 2010
McAllen, TX
www.wix.com
The point I was trying to make is that there is a completely different dynamic between close up and stage. I am constantly bantering with my audience for example in my Q&A I only give about 6 to 8 readings / answers. And during each of them I am talking to people asking questions just fishing for off shot hits and things like that.

I want my audience to as much of my show as I am so I force the audience to have a chat with me. For most of my effects when I select a person from the audience I will have a little chat with them on stage before I go onto any effect with them. I perform more like a stand up comedian in that regard. Asking if people are enjoying the show and how their day was.

You can join the club buddy. The point I am getting across to works for both street and stage, I guarantee it. I wouldn't post something like this unless I tested it out myself. You can talk to them before the trick, sure! But during the trick aka "The road trip" Don't get off subject, banter once or twice at the most, know what you are saying (know your scripting) and make some jokes on the spot. A trick should 3/4 scripted and 1/4 new and unique (Meaning you probably won't say again) to add uniqueness.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results