An urgent problem: Does theory11 bring viruses?

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I can assure you that t11 is totally virus free. I've posted a good amount of videos, as well as made posts here in the forums for a long time, and not once has t11 every given me something that made my computer act odd or crash.

As for your parents not liking your magic, that's their decision. Eventually they should realize this is what you love doing, and accept it, but I can't guarantee it. A good idea would be to actually take your dad and mom to a live magic show in LA. I'd bet you could find some very good performers near you who would astound your parents and maybe make them think twice.

Also you could try contacting a magician in your area and getting them to meet your parents and talk with them. It may not be Dan and Dave or Chad Nelson, but I know there are some friendly guys out there. Try contacting Tom Isaacson, I know he hangs around that area and he seems like a great guy.

Hope this helps!

David

Youtube has been bought by Google some time ago. Google is a very well known company who make so much money it's not even funny. If Youtube has any type of viruses, spyware, adware, or anything like that, then they would make no money, they wouldn't be known as the #1 video sharing website in the world.

Now let's take a look at Theory11. If Theory11 has any type of viruses, spyware, adware, or anything like that, then they would make no money. That would also probably mean that there not a legitimate business. But guess what? They ARE a legitimate business and they don't give you any type of viruses, spyware, adware, or anything like that. Same as Google.

Show your dad this: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/theory11.com?ref=safe&client_ver=FF_26.6_6275&locale=en-US&premium=false&client_type=FF&aff_id=0

and this: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/youtube.com

The links above are an evaluation done to Theory11 and Youtube to see if they are safe sites to visit. As you can see, both sites were marked as safe. These evaluations are done by a well known and reliable company that provides antivirus and intrusion prevention solutions. Show this to your dad and maybe it will convince him.

Hope this helps.
That's the best advice I've read yet. Definently do this.
Sounds to me like your dad is just trying to come up with more and more excuses just to stop you from doing magic.

We all know that's not gonna happen. Eventually he'll have to accept it. The only thing you can do is convince him.

You might want to make a large list of reasons why magic will contribute to you and your career. ( There are many reasons )

Like someone suggested earlier, a one on one serious talk with him might be a good idea.

If you need arguments, I can try and come up with a few:

- Improves public speaking skills and interpersonal skills.
- Helps you learn a lot about human psychology.
- Helps you learn to think like an engineer or artist ( If you come up with your own material)
- Helps you make better friends, thus can help stay away from drugs, alcohol, fighting, etc.
- Might help keep you away from gambling ( I stopped gambling ever since I started learning magic )
- Helps you learn how to use electronics, video editing, etc.
- Helps improve hand dexterity ( You can take notes faster during class... I don't know if this is true, but he'll probably believe you anyway lol )
- Helps you learn social networking skills that you will need later on when you will be working out in the real world.

Thats what I came up with on the spot... I'm sure we can come up with more.

Hope this helps ;)
I hope your dad changes his mind about magic soon.

I don't know about the gambling part. Lots of magicians move to Vegas, and get addicted to gambling. Everything else is good though.

Dec 13, 2007
Atlanta,Georgia
i remember when i had to convince my father that what i was doing was indeed constructive... he freaked out when i told him i wanted to do an underwater escape...he told me i would kill myself...
i didnt listen because i was tired of following his dreams and not my own..

Aug 7, 2008
haha, ur dad sounds exactly like mine, of course mines gotta be worse ;D ive been through stuff like this. all i can say is : since ur dad wont bother listenning to you, just get an antivirus. simple as that, then you get creative and say....yea, this sites got no viruses, but if it DOES, this antivirus will stop it. simple as that. i have to practice my card tricks in secrecy, hang out with my friends by lying to my dad, my dad is as stubborn, more stubborn than yours, so i can relate. if that doesnt work, you can always impress more people in front of him. and show him other people performing, THAT DO NOT LOOK LIKE CLOWNS =___="

Feb 8, 2008
Going about this all wrong.

Oh wow...

First of all, let me tell you that everyone is giving you horrible advice.

The issue here is not if this site has viruses or whether magic is for clowns. The issue is between you and your father. I can tell that you have no respect for his authority because you are not following his wishes by going to T11 and posting this. Like it or not, he's your father, and you kinda have to listen to him. You have mentione that he's not willing to have a civilized discussion about this. I can tell that you're willing to become passionate about this, so your personal desire to perform magic will create unwarranted anger and disrespect in any conversation with your dad concerning magic. My advice to you is to put aside any personal desires and look at the situation from an unbiased view. Perhaps your father has more than one reason for not liking magic than just for the fact that it's "only for clowns." When you have an unbiased perspective, then you should be able to discuss this in a civilized matter.

Oh, and don't let this become a secret hobby or obsession that you constantly have to hide from your dad. Please, please, please trust me on this. I know about having secrets.

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA
Oh wow... First of all, let me tell you that everyone is giving you horrible advice.

The issue here is not if this site has viruses or whether magic is for clowns. The issue is between you and your father. I can tell that you have no respect for his authority because you are not following his wishes by going to T11 and posting this. Like it or not, he's your father, and you kinda have to listen to him.

Of all the responses on this thread, only Magicbysage is giving good advice. The rest is horrible and, if your dad actually reads this site, will likely get you grounded.

"Look, Dad. I asked a community of my friends and colleagues in magic and cardistry about this situation, and read what they say." Are you kidding me? If my stepkid did anything like this to me, he wouldn't see the outside of his room for a week.

I can tell you are mad, but you are also biased, so your question is phrased to make your father look like the ignorant bad guy. And because this site is populated mainly by teens, you're getting a lot of advice without experience.

Some tough love here: Grow up, and respect your father. You may not see eye to eye, but he has your best interests in mind.

Let me put it this way: My kid loves video games and Star Wars; that's what he loves, and what he does. If I see the quality of his school work, interaction with friends or anything else suffer because of those two things, they will be taken away so he can focus on what's important. He gets to play the games because he is responsible, trustworthy and an all-around good kid. If you show your father that you are able to meet your responsibilities and obligations, he'll be more tolerant of WHATEVER interests you.

Jun 7, 2008
DC area
www.youtube.com
my dad is the same way but i go a an tech strike when he does it. I dont help him with any thing to do with tech and that includeds the TV, computer, basicly anything. So he gives up and I WIN!!!! You should do the same

May 2, 2008
my dad is the same way but i go a an tech strike when he does it. I dont help him with any thing to do with tech and that includeds the TV, computer, basicly anything. So he gives up and I WIN!!!! You should do the same

No, he shouldn't do the same.

Feb 8, 2008
Haha, ok, listen up all you young peoples. Stop with the rebellious advice. It ain't gonna get anyone in any good situation.

May 3, 2008
Singapore
www.youtube.com
No offense, but your Dad is kind of ignorant. T11 is virus free, and Youtube is virus free.

But, everyone here knows how to settle this problem. A one on one fist fight to the death with your Dad.

well no. He could have a flourish battle to the death with his dad! then post it on the media section once hes won. that would be epic.

but in all seriousness. Dont show your dad this thread.. it'll only serve to piss him off more. Instead, try to slowly show him that the internet has some safe sites. My dad used to think youtube was virus filled..

Jan 27, 2008
Wtf your dad smashed your computer? Is he a raging alchaholic or something? T11 does not bring viruses, your better off going to google and looking up 'free virus downloads.'

For the whole 'conflict with your dad' thing regarding the subject of magic, I would get really good at it 'til your at the point where your like Harry Potter and uncle vernon can't tell you what to do, so if he gets mad that dobby smashed his cake you can point your wand at him as you walk out the door and take the night bus to Hogwarts, stay there for a year and see what happens.

-Sean.Fast

Sep 1, 2007
thanks for responding guys..really, I appreciate it... But I would like to say a few more stuff.. I posted the thread with my phone, not a computer, and if I go up to my dad and try to explain the situation, he'll never understand.. He ALWAYS thinks he's right..so I guess explaining it like a civilized human isn't an option... unfortunately...

Besides, my parents think magic is for clowns...WHAT THE HELL!! They've seen me perform for gould of people their age, and they've seen them go crazy... If I was a clown, they would laugh...they know they're wrong, but they're also stubborn and hate admitting that they're wrong...

Thanks for the replies

Oh I know the feeling. You just have to show him that he's not always right. In my case, I'm korean so my grandparents/my dad's english isnt the best >_<. (although I'm born in the USA so english ftw :p)

But dont try to put that on him. Just try to sit with him and talk. If you are civilized and mature, he might think that you know what you are talking about.
if you do, BE PREPARED. DO NOT give the impression that you are having trouble with this stuff.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results