Female magician needs help...

Jan 5, 2009
Small town Ohio
Hello there.

So I'm fairly new to the forums here at Theory 11. I've been hanging around here for awhile but i haven't really participated much. But, I thought I could start by asking for some advice.

It's no secret that it is rare for girls to be magicians. Which, in turn can make it really hard for people to take me seriously.
I've been doing magic for almost three years, and not to sound cocky in any way shape or form, but I'm good at it. I've done many performances in nursing homes and I work at two local hospitals from time to time in the pediatric ward. It's definitely fun and rewarding to see those kids have a good time :]
But I'm finding it a little difficult for the majority of people to take me serious. Usually people's first response when I say I'm a magician is, "...are you serious?" and they usually laugh until I prove to them that I actually am.
I usually just bust out a card trick or something so they believe me.
I just find it irritating honestly.

I'm sure I'll just have to get used to it, but I was wondering if there was any advice you guys could give to me to make people take me more serious in a business sense. I would really like to start doing restaurant work and such. I'm just a poor college kid trying to make money where ever I can, haha.

I'm not really expecting you guys to know too much on the subject, being the vast majority of you are males but any little tips would be absolutely fantastic.

Thanks in advance! Oh, and I suppose I should introduce myself, haha.
I'm Amanda. :]

Hey Amanda, we get it too! Well I certainly do anyway. When I say I am a magician people think I am just some nutter. However, you do have to prove it, you have to sell yourself!

If you want to take it more seriously, experience is good which seems like what you have been getting, but you could maybe start up a website, some business cards, do some free performances to get your name out there.

Anyway good luck, you will have to show us on film some of your magic!

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
A nice touch is to introduce yourself as a performer.

"Hi, My name's Amanda and I'm a performer."

"Oh yeah, what do you do?"

"Let me show you ;)" [The wink is up to you]

But yeah, as Steven said, just keep on truckin'

All the best,

D.

Apr 28, 2008
Unfortunatley you being a girl probably does make it a bit harder. However, people laughing when you say you're a magician certainly isn't unique to girls. When I tell people i'm a magician they don't really know what to think, some look a bit confused, some laugh. They have their preconceptions about what a magician should look like (some old guy with a top hat and rabbits) and when they realise i'm nothing like that (I imagine you're not either) it seems to throw them off a bit and they have trouble understanding exactly what I do. As soon as I show them something this attitude quickly changes and they're usually very receptive.

This probably doesn't help you a lot but I just thought you should know you're not encountering this problem just because you're a girl, although I imagine it could make it harder for you.

People just have a very hard time taking magic seriously until you show them what you can do. Business cards should also help quite a bit as they clearly show that you're serious about it.

I get that too!

Although not so much, partly because i live in a country with a population of 1,4 miljon people and magic is quite famous here so a few people dont belive me at first but there are.

I dont want to be repeative by saying you just got to prove yourself.
You have to, but if you get together a routine that introduces you and at the same time strucks people that is something that can get you a job in minutes.

One would be a well thought out coin routine.
eg. "Haha, you a magician, haha you must be joking" and after the joking part you pull a quarter out of their sleeve, or appear it as you want but fast.

Sponge balls are a perfect way of selling yourself they rock people socks!

I wish you luck in your career and hope to see you more here!

Mikk

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Oh that's rough.
It's hard to get people to believe that you're a real magician sometimes. When I tell people what I do, they just assume it's little rinky tricks that are easy.
However all assumptions are dropped after I perform a few effects. Then they wanna know how I got started and a bunch of other useless info.
You just got to prove yourself to them by doing a kick-ass performance.

Also, look at the bright side, you have the element of surprise on them. If you're as good as you say, then their reaction will be "foot-in-mouth".
So good luck Amanda and I hope this helps in some way.

Feb 1, 2009
Manchester, UK.
A nice touch is to introduce yourself as a performer.

"Hi, My name's Amanda and I'm a performer."

"Oh yeah, what do you do?"

"Let me show you ;)" [The wink is up to you]

But yeah, as Steven said, just keep on truckin'

All the best,

D.

I do it D's way, don't start of by saying you're a magician, say you're a performer. And then go on to show them what you do, that way they can see what you do before judging you on it.

May 17, 2008
Hey mate,

We all get that every magician except for David Blain and Criss Angel get it. One thing that you can do to get people to take you more seriously is not to realy goofy when you are perfroming for people(that was not supossed to be offencife cause I used to performe goofy alll the time and people just didnt take me sriously). Talk with a lot of confidence. Nothing more then that as long as you show them that you take it seriously they will belive you.

Take it easy,
Indiana.C

Hello there.

So I'm fairly new to the forums here at Theory 11. I've been hanging around here for awhile but i haven't really participated much. But, I thought I could start by asking for some advice.

It's no secret that it is rare for girls to be magicians. Which, in turn can make it really hard for people to take me seriously.
I've been doing magic for almost three years, and not to sound cocky in any way shape or form, but I'm good at it. I've done many performances in nursing homes and I work at two local hospitals from time to time in the pediatric ward. It's definitely fun and rewarding to see those kids have a good time :]
But I'm finding it a little difficult for the majority of people to take me serious. Usually people's first response when I say I'm a magician is, "...are you serious?" and they usually laugh until I prove to them that I actually am.
I usually just bust out a card trick or something so they believe me.
I just find it irritating honestly.

I'm sure I'll just have to get used to it, but I was wondering if there was any advice you guys could give to me to make people take me more serious in a business sense. I would really like to start doing restaurant work and such. I'm just a poor college kid trying to make money where ever I can, haha.

I'm not really expecting you guys to know too much on the subject, being the vast majority of you are males but any little tips would be absolutely fantastic.

Thanks in advance! Oh, and I suppose I should introduce myself, haha.
I'm Amanda. :]
Hi Amanda, look i know people may not take you seriously, but to be honest, you should keep it that way, don't try to persuade them. If they know you are an expert and not a novice, eyes will be on you more than you would like it. Thats means no mistakes can be made, which is something even the great ones make from time to time. Not even the slightest mistake can be made by you, which can sometimes ruin future effects you try to perform.

I myself am a college guy. Doing the same as you. As for working restaraunts and stuff i'd take a look at Jay Sankey's "Real Work on Restaraunts and Bars". Its a great DVD, and really explains effects, how to get jobs, how to conduct yourself and all.

Sometimes the art of magic should have a surpise element to it. And if they knew you are amanda( the average woman) and not AMANDA (the great illusionist) then you have more of an impact knowing that there's not much to expected from you in the beginning. Only thing they will notice is when the magic happens.

Beleive it or not. Some effects is better done by lets say....a bum on the streets, than David Blaine. (not saying you are one) Its simply because they know to exepect the best of the best from a Blaine, which sometimes can hurt if he don't live up to those expectation. But if that bum on the streets starts to levitate or anything magical. Its a whole lot sweeter knowing "a none magician" just flew. Its gives you this whole new way of connecting to your audience.

So if i was you i wouldn't want to change that.

And if you are lacking effects or any new ideas, i'll be happy to give you pdf's of effects i've created or effects in which most magicians dare to try.

If you are interested in anything i just said, use my contact info at the bottom of this message in my signature and i'll be happy to share anything you are willing to know.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Here's the awful truth,

People don't take ANYONE who calls themselves a magician seriously.

You have to prove yourself to be charming and entertaining even before you whip out your first trick. I would suggest trying to work every single night (without pay). Try restaurants, downtown, parties, college functions anywhere you can gain any kind of "practice". From there you should be able to try to get a paying gig at one of the restaurants in your town.

However, it seems like you are happy doing nursing homes and hospitals and that is fine too. But to gain confidence as an entertainer to the "real world" (Meaning getting paid) you need to just bite the bullet and get yourself out there.

Also, you might not want to go about saying "I'm a magician" to anyone right off the bat, people still get the idea that people who do card tricks are the people who wear capes and role-play Dungeons and Dragons in their parents basement. Instead, say "Hi I'm Amanda, Can I show you something real quick?"

Practice... practice... practice.

Katie

Thank you all very much for your replies.
Let's me know I'm not alone out there. :]

Nah you are not! :) - I guess it works the same way back though.

If you asked someone what job they were doing and they said, "I juggle geese"... I suppose you would get some random looks, and I think that is a similar thing with magic.

When I say I am a magician, I have sometimes been mistaken for a musician... And I have to stop them and correct them. I suppose it is just because us guys do something very random and different! :)

D

Deleted member 2755

Welcome to the forums. :)

Well I don't know much on the subject, but I know that Live at the Jailhouse is a great 3 disc set that teaches everything from what kind of place you are looking for to how to get the job and then on how to keep the job. There are also some magic effects sprinkled throughout the set. I've heard nothing bad about this set so I'd assume it's good. :)

I'd also say take a look at William Draven's threads on getting a job as a magician. They are long, but I'd assume that could only make them more informative. ;)

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8

-Doug

Oct 3, 2007
germany
Personally, I've found that it is often better to use the term "sleight of hand" rather than magic. First, for those who have the image of a stereotypical magician in mind, they are no longer sure what to expect. Those who understand what a magician really is will most likely already know or understand the term anyways. They will most likely ask for a clarification. From that point you can explain what it is that your REALLY are, without as much fear from the evil stereotype :p. The simplest response to the likely question "what's that?" would be: "essentially, magic / I'm a magician." The word essentially once again stresses the fact that you are not the stereotype.

This is an approach that has so far worked quite well for me. People seem to take me more seriously once I use more official terms with a confident demeanor than if I say "Hey, I do magic". They say "first impressions are everything". Although I dont really agree with this 100%, they certainly do count. :D

Personally, I've found that it is often better to use the term "sleight of hand" rather than magic. First, for those who have the image of a stereotypical magician in mind, they are no longer sure what to expect. Those who understand what a magician really is will most likely already know or understand the term anyways. They will most likely ask for a clarification. From that point you can explain what it is that your REALLY are, without as much fear from the evil stereotype :p. The simplest response to the likely question "what's that?" would be: "essentially, magic / I'm a magician." The word essentially once again stresses the fact that you are not the stereotype.

This is an approach that has so far worked quite well for me. People seem to take me more seriously once I use more official terms with a confident demeanor than if I say "Hey, I do magic". They say "first impressions are everything". Although I dont really agree with this 100%, they certainly do count. :D
this is probably going to be the most important thing on how to be taken serious....even if you only do three good effects...THREE, what you need is clever patter....

25 % of doing magic is being able to mingle and have the patter to fit the topics of people's conversation. if you can create the right patter to fit different convos thats all you'll need...

if the convo is food, have something to coincide with food,

if the convo is about objects, the body, shoes, have the patter to coincide with that....

thats why its good to know at least one or two effects that can go along with every body part or every peice of clothing you wear...thats what i like to do..therefore all the magic you need is on you at all times...

baller08

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
Sometimes the art of magic should have a surpise element to it. And if they knew you are amanda( the average woman) and not AMANDA (the great illusionist) then you have more of an impact knowing that there's not much to expected from you in the beginning. Only thing they will notice is when the magic happens.

Also, you might not want to go about saying "I'm a magician" to anyone right off the bat, people still get the idea that people who do card tricks are the people who wear capes and role-play Dungeons and Dragons in their parents basement. Instead, say "Hi I'm Amanda, Can I show you something real quick?"

Hey there Amanda....the above two pieces of advice is the most dead on. If you use that as your structured guideline you'll be fine. This is less a male/female thing and more of just a society perception thing.

In a lot of ways you being a female should work to your advantage instead of disadvantage. As you said, female magicians are rare so if you can do some interesting things its already novel. Also, people in general are far more open to being approached by a female than a male. Use it to your advantage rather than looking at it as an obstacle.

Hey there Amanda....the above two pieces of advice is the most dead on. If you use that as your structured guideline you'll be fine. This is less a male/female thing and more of just a society perception thing.

In a lot of ways you being a female should work to your advantage instead of disadvantage. As you said, female magicians are rare so if you can do some interesting things its already novel. Also, people in general are far more open to being approached by a female than a male. Use it to your advantage rather than looking at it as an obstacle

well spoken....well spoken...

morpheis91

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2007
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
I'd have to agree that you being a female is an advantage. Also if your going to introduce yourself as a magician, say your a professional, even if you say that you might think that the expectations will be too high but they never are. I am going partly disagree with Cedric on this matter because the fact remains that most people have never seen a magician UP-CLOSE and them seeing a card change visually with no cover or a card change in their hands is always amazing. I like it when people try and compare my stuff to Blaine's because according to the laymen Blaine only uses camera tricks (not true) and when they see it in front of their face they think its better. I know that many people here have been told countless time that you are better than David Blaine. Let people assume that you are great because most likely you are always better than they will assume. Say your a professional and you will be take seriously. I like it when people grill me while I am performing because they were watching so closely and they still couldn't find anything!!
-Will

Jan 5, 2009
Small town Ohio
Again, thank you guys for all of your replies.
I completely agree that being a female has it's advantages. Like it's been said, it's really easy to approach people.
It's mostly the middle aged business men who would actually be doing the hiring who are really rough to get by. Being 18 they think i'm too young or not capable, blah blah blah... and I am totally aware i have to sell myself and i do.
It's more of the business stuff. I don't really know how to talk business too great. I suppose time and practice will improve that.
Again, thanks! :]

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results