Figure this out...

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
If Steerpike hadn't mentioned Rasputin, heck - he'd be the number 1 contender!

For those interested in the more, controlversial/historical mystery - I came across this. Make of it what you will.

shroud-2.jpg

The Shroud of Turin is reputedly Christ's burial cloth. It has been a religious relic since the Middle Ages. To believers it was divine proof the Christ was resurrected from the grave, to doubters it was evidence of human gullibility and one of the greatest hoaxes in the history of art. No one has been able to prove that it is the burial cloth of Jesus of Nazareth, but its haunting image of a man's wounded body is proof enough for true believers.

shroud_sml1.jpg

G

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Dammit. It seems the image was huge...Not as I expected. Could a moderator fix my booboo?

G

EDIT: Fixed it myself. How ingenious...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Really cool find. Two other cool mysteries of the day worth reading into:

The Georgia Guidestones

Kryptos - On the Grounds of the CIA

Since we're on the topic of stones, How about the Ringing Rocks of Pennsylvania for a spot of weirdness? No kidding, it's a ribbon of stones in the middle of the woods like a river made of boulders. And they actually do ring when struck. They produce an actual note like a bell. It's quite a tourist attraction.

Dammit. It seems the image was huge...Not as I expected. Could a moderator fix my booboo?

G

Until they do that, I'm going to have to be a bit of a killjoy again. The shroud has a glaring flaw in it. The holes where the nails would have gone are in Christ's palms. But actual crucifixion wasn't done that way because the hands would tear and the victim would fall. Instead, they placed a block of wood on the forearms so that the arms were sandwiched between the block and the cross. They drove the nail through that. This prevented tearing while also making the experience all the more painful because it put even more pressure on the chest and made it difficult to breathe.

Yeah. The Romans were dicks.

Anyway, that's one of the reasons I'm a skeptic of the shroud.

In looking for unexplainable phenomena, I want to find something that actually has yet to be explained.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Wasn't the area near some atomic bomb testing? They saw the flash of light, got confused and wondered off into the snow. Ended up getting Snow blindness and due to radiation keeping them warm.. Died that way.

Sep 1, 2007
Wasn't the area near some atomic bomb testing? They saw the flash of light, got confused and wondered off into the snow. Ended up getting Snow blindness and due to radiation keeping them warm.. Died that way.

Let me answer that question with this one: Why the hell would any government interested in remaining un-deposed test nuclear weapons in a region known to be trafficked by civilians?

And radiation of the kind generated by an A-bomb's fallout does not make you warm. It makes you dead.

The radiation reported was either a hoax or trace amounts of alpha radiation generated by the heat source in the group's lanterns. This was not unusual for that time period and was rarely harmful in the long-term. Lanterns like that had been in usage since WWII.

That they were without clothes can be explained through paradoxical undressing. When suffering from hypothermia, the brain gets scrambled and can't interpret signals correctly. A common symptom of an advanced stage of hypothermia is a feeling of great warmth. Hence, people suffering from the condition sometimes undress in confusion. It's also conceivable that they took off some of their clothes to layer members of the expedition who were not properly insulated against the cold and were already injured.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
It was the Government in the 1950's, as for people getting near the testing.. Sense when as warning signs stopped idiots from entering places?

In all else tho I am sure it was the stuff you said.

Another thing that is kind of trippy is people who suffer from "Missing time". It's usually people who have supposedly been abducted by aliens. Also the movie Fire in the Sky being based on an actual story that really happened, even tho the guy who it happened to ended up changing his facts like each time he told it.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Has anyone heard of the mysterious in-flight dissapearance of Frederick Valentich, where, while piloting a Cessna, he managed to send an eerie radio report to the radio officers at base about something mysterious - "it is hovering and it's not an aircraft". This was followed by 17 seconds of unidentified noise, described as being "metallic, scraping sounds", then all contact was lost. He was never seen again - dead or alive.

Wiki
abc.net

Quite startling, when you read through it. A lot of answers, none of them can be confirmed positively.

What is interesting, however, is that Valentich reported the 'craft' was green - as did a couple of eye witnesses, who had no prior access to anything Valentich had reported!

G

Sep 1, 2007
It was the Government in the 1950's,

For one thing, it was Russia. If Stalin wanted to test weapons on people, he would have found some political prisoners and an underground lab. Second, mutual assured destruction tends to put a damper on using nuclear weapons close to civilized areas.

Third, have you actually seen the stock footage of Hiroshima and Nagasaki? The actual detonation? And you suggest that the Soviet government set one of those off in an area close to a population center? And managed to cover it up from the rest of the world? Seriously?

as for people getting near the testing.. Sense when as warning signs stopped idiots from entering places?

Again, seriously? You're going to use that as an argument to defend a story with absolutely no basis in reality?

Another thing that is kind of trippy is people who suffer from "Missing time". It's usually people who have supposedly been abducted by aliens. Also the movie Fire in the Sky being based on an actual story that really happened, even tho the guy who it happened to ended up changing his facts like each time he told it.

Missing time is another one you have to be careful with. The brain already possesses the remarkable ability to expand and condense the perception of the passage of time. I've had this phenomenon happen to me more times than I can count. The truth is, everybody experiences it, and the feeling of losing an hour so is really not all that remarkable.

Again, I'm looking for stories for which there is not yet a plausible explanation or are just generally anomalous. Hence references to the Antikythera mechanism, the Yonaguni monument, and similar phenomena.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I think the show Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction had a few stories that were in that range. Tho I haven't been able to find any sites that actually says if the "Fact" stories were embellished a lot.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
How about the Mothman. I seem to recall that at the time of the event that a lot of other strange things happened.

Speaking of haunted Houses there is one that was built by this crazy old lady who would doors that went nowhere, and stairs that went in all sorts of directions. Supposedly she built it that way to confuse the ghosts of the house.

How about the Mothman. I seem to recall that at the time of the event that a lot of other strange things happened.

Speaking of haunted Houses there is one that was built by this crazy old lady who would doors that went nowhere, and stairs that went in all sorts of directions. Supposedly she built it that way to confuse the ghosts of the house.

Ahh yes, I think that is the Winchester house.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I love the Mothman.
The Mothman is a creature reportedly seen in the Charleston and Point Pleasant areas of West Virginia from November 12, 1966, to December 1967(?). Most observers describe the Mothman as a winged man-sized creature with large reflective red eyes and large moth-like wings. The creature was sometimes reported as having no head, with its eyes set into its chest.

I just woke up and at the very top of my head I can only think of Roanoake Island. Probably didnt spell that right. Where the words CROATOAN where carved in a tree. which I think was a name of an island to the south..
Ive always liked the idea of deep sea gigantism. Doesnt have a lick to do with the unexplainable maybe,but ive always liked the idea of underwater sea monsters..like old clover..
acromegaly

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results