Tired of Magicians Taking No Action

I keep reading about the same thing in the magic community: how can we advance magic, magic is dying. Yo for real all you guys do is talk about magic advancing, but it's all talk and it is not going no where. Every time you all talk about the subject it leads to ideas and then to an argument. Talk is cheap and many of you keep talking about advancing the art, but yet none of you don't have a clue where it's going and none of you can't agree together on where it should go. I think if you not going to take any real action on advancing magic then shut up. If you are not helping magic advance and by advanced I mean going out and, performing and coming up with new ideas then don't talk about magic advancing.

I already know it's going to be some slick tounged folks who might get mad and say some slick things to this post, but at the end of the day magic still is in the same spot. And for the record I am addressing the fact that all the talks about how we can advance magic is not helping because there is no action being done. Just thought I put this out to let you all know that you cant advance magic by talking about it, but getting out there and doing it.

If you got any slick remarks then keep them to yourself it's enough arguments going on in these forums today.

Deuces-T.J.

D

Deleted member 2755

Eh... it's a new thing every other week.

ZOMG CELEBRACADABRA ON MTV IS GONNA RUIN MY MAGICZ

BLACK TIGERS AND GUARDIANS AVAILABLE IN STORES?! NOOOOO!

EXPOSURE ON TEH_YOUTUBEZ

Everyone can cry me a river. ;)

-Doug

D

Deleted member 2755

Thanks to David Blaine, David Copperfield, and (ugghhh) Criss Angel

What's wrong there is the part where you mentioned the 80 year old goth punk with 20 diamond rings. He actually made it annoying by making every layman ask "FLY! LEVITATE FOR ME!"

He did more harm than help in my opinion.:eek:

-Doug

Jul 13, 2009
Not to brag but I feel that some have been making steps or at least attempts to move magic forward a little, I mean look at... Well at least I feel I am advancing my magic.

But seriously have you seen the cell phone manipulator? It is starting to move slightly into the direction of advancing, it is just happening incredibly slowly.

I would like Black magi to point fingers onto the ones who you feel are the ones who aren't helping, it is important to me because if it is me then I feel that I have failed in my intentions.

D

Deleted member 2755

Hmm...maybe. It's true that I will often here, "Criss Angel did it better!" Yet the popularity of his TV series makes laymen want to see magic. Before Criss' show got popular (around '07) no one at my school wanted to see magic. Now they're very enthusiastic.

However the good that he's done is balanced out by the harm he's done. I'd say that Criss has done nothing to advance or hurt the art of magic.

A good friend of mine put it in perspective. Wanting to watch Criss Angel is equivelent to wanting to watch a train wreck. Why? That's what Criss Angel is. I would explain, but I'm about to go to bed because I have work in the morning. Someone send me a PM to remind me to elaborate on this tomorrow.:p

Anyway, anytime I get called a Mindfreak or Criss Angel, I want to just slap my spectator in the face. Anytime I get called the devil or David Blaine, I give myself a pat on the back. ;)

-Doug

Jun 29, 2009
Magic is always going to seem like it is dying, because only a fraction of a percent of the population practices it. If there were more people practicing it, then there would be less interested people in seeing it.

Personally, i'm happy with where its at right now. Nobody needs to take any action, as long as it is possible to better oneself as a magician. When they stop releasing DVDs, books and downloads then i will be concerned. But even then by the time that happens i already have all the information i'm ever going to need. The only thing possible for me to do then is to think outside the box and come up with my own manipulations.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I'm waiting for magic to die.

That way I can bring it back.

Seriously.

It all comes down to presentation and performance, which are probably one in the same. People's opinion on magic doesn't come from the fact that there are all these tricks on the market, take a note, they complain or comment based on the performers out there. People are just looking for an excuse not to work hard. If you want to become successful at something, anything, you have to work your butt off. And a lot of people don't get that. That's why magic is "dying", that's why music is "dying", that's why film is "dying". No one works nearly as hard as they need to. The magic world is at a fantastic spot for magicians. We've got access to all the classic learning material we could ask for. we've got access to new and groundbreaking future classics at our fingertips. More than what was available before. There is absolutely no excuse. We don't have to work as hard today to discover a secret. Our focus needs to be in mastery of that secret and our performance. Magicians continue to say that we don't give enough credit to the spectator's knowledge. That's true. but in many situations, we give too much credit. Those that are really making an advance in the art of magic are not on this forum posting useless threads on Criss Angel. They aren't going around posting tricks ideas they haven't even come up with methods for yet asking for opinions. They aren't posting youtube videos of their double lift or pass. These people are working their 10,000 hours so that one day they'll be leagues beyond everyone else. You want to be like Houdini, work like Houdini.

The End.

I don't know why I just ranted. :p

However, if you do want to advance the art of magic, it's simple. Stop acting like a chessy-1940s magician. NO LAYMEN want to watch magicians like that. Think about one of the greatest close-up artists of all time, Dai Vernon. He always stressed naturalness in his performances.

And Dai Vernon is a dead man, sir. I think we need to stop focusing on the lessons of the past and retelling them to each other over and over. You've learned so much now MOVE ON and be your own artist.

Write your own mental of physical book on magic and the secrets of the art.

Set your own standards

Perform in the fashion you choose

Perform whatever you want.

This is magic.

DO SOMETHING.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
I keep reading about the same thing in the magic community: how can we advance magic, magic is dying. Yo for real all you guys do is talk about magic advancing, but it's all talk and it is not going no where. Every time you all talk about the subject it leads to ideas and then to an argument. Talk is cheap and many of you keep talking about advancing the art, but yet none of you don't have a clue where it's going and none of you can't agree together on where it should go. I think if you not going to take any real action on advancing magic then shut up. If you are not helping magic advance and by advanced I mean going out and, performing and coming up with new ideas then don't talk about magic advancing.

I already know it's going to be some slick tounged folks who might get mad and say some slick things to this post, but at the end of the day magic still is in the same spot. And for the record I am addressing the fact that all the talks about how we can advance magic is not helping because there is no action being done. Just thought I put this out to let you all know that you cant advance magic by talking about it, but getting out there and doing it.

If you got any slick remarks then keep them to yourself it's enough arguments going on in these forums today.

Deuces-T.J.

Do you have a plan?

If not, why did you bother to bring this up. Every sentence in your post said essentially the same thing over and over. What about action? How is magic dying? What if the cause? Can we stop the cause? If so, how, where, and when? If not, how can we move magic so the cause of it's death is no longer killing it?

Unless there is something substantial to your idea, it is empty and meaningless.

Anyone else have any ideas? Or should we just sink this thread here and now?

I don't think magic is dying. If someone else does, tell us how, why, and give us an idea of what can be done about it.

Yo you are all missing the point of this thread. It is not for you all to discuss how to advance, and argue over Criss Angel on which I don't know how he got brought up, but the point is to not discuss it if
A: You dont't know where magic should advance to.
B: The only thing you do is talk about it advancing and you are not contriubuting to it advancing.
C: If all of us magicians can not agree where magic should be advancing to.

Deuces-T.J.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Yo you are all missing the point of this thread. It is not for you all to discuss how to advance, and argue over Criss Angel on which I don't know how he got brought up, but the point is to not discuss it if
A: You dont't know where magic should advance to.
B: The only thing you do is talk about it advancing and you are not contriubuting to it advancing.
C: If all of us magicians can not agree where magic should be advancing to.

Deuces-T.J.

Why waste our time with your babbling. What is your point? You don't even seem to know.

Why waste our time with your babbling. What is your point? You don't even seem to know.

The thing I am trying to say is magicians keep on talking about change, but yet they are not doing nothing. They are all bark but no bite. I am saying I want them to stop winning about change and they need to do something about it or they just need to shut up.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
WOW! After we just got done talking via PM... You say this!?!?!
The thing I am trying to say is magicians keep on talking about change, but yet they are not doing nothing. They are all bark but no bite. I am saying I want them to stop winning about change and they need to do something about it or they just need to shut up.

1.) You Presented NO ideas what so ever to fix the problem at all and you whined about it.

2.) Telling people stop whining and do something when you are whining about it and have not done ANYTHING at all to fix the problem.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results