Magician's appearances changing?

Jun 14, 2009
my house
Has anyone knoticed how magicians are changing their clothing and appearance more and more recently to suit the "street look"? I was just watching the trailer for Garcia's "Symphony". It looks great, but that's aside the point, his appearance in the trailer is all black and blinged out wielding and "cool hat" and sunglasses. Now, previous to this, all I saw of Garcia was not that sort of style. Same with Justin Miller, he changed from clean cut upstanding magician to "street Justin." Maybe it has always been this way and I am just noticing, but if not, do you guys think it's a bad thing? I personally don't see it as necessary. It's almost like the style is inching toward the dark, almost evil appearance that Criss Angel tries to create and I don't want that associated with magic.

Sep 1, 2007
It's almost like the style is inching toward the dark, almost evil appearance that Criss Angel tries to create and I don't want that associated with magic.

So metalheads are **** out of luck, then? (sigh) Story of my life.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i dont think that has anything to do with magic. I think its just cultural, and two examples a trend doesn't make. Danny has always had a...unique sense of style, as for Justin, how is he "street" in all the his dvd's and when i met him he was just chillin out in a long sleeve t-shirt, jeans and his hat. Take a look at Wayne, in his signature sport coat, Dan and dave in their clean cut urban look, dan sperry in his......well... nvm

Attachments

• dan%20sperry.jpg
    dan%20sperry.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 106

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden
Being dressed up in a classical suit can have positive psychological effects on the audience. If someone gets approached by some random guy in a tshirt doing card magic, they might just think "ah he's just like anyone else on the street, he is just tricking us with fast hands somehow"(this can happen conciously or subconciously), whereas a dressed up person is not only more memorable, but also gives the sense of authority and sticking out of the mass, it makes you special. And a special person doing special things is logically more respected.
You mainly want a person to react emotionally to your magic, and put closure on his interlectual sense. You can percive that much easier by a strong presentation, and a strong presentation is enchanted by a special outfit. When speaking of people such as criss angel, he has just already built up such a huge amount of prestige that basically anything he does will in one way or another be effective. I doubt anyone who sees him doesn't recognize him.

Also, metalheads tends to look cool, I'd put him in the "sleazerocker" section.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
i dont think that has anything to do with magic. I think its just cultural, and two examples a trend doesn't make. Danny has always had a...unique sense of style, as for Justin, how is he "street" in all the his dvd's and when i met him he was just chillin out in a long sleeve t-shirt, jeans and his hat. Take a look at Wayne, in his signature sport coat, Dan and dave in their clean cut urban look, dan sperry in his......well... nvm

Hey, Dan Sperry has created an amazing style. i think it is awsome.

Sep 9, 2007
Being dressed up in a classical suit can have positive psychological effects on the audience. If someone gets approached by some random guy in a tshirt doing card magic, they might just think "ah he's just like anyone else on the street, he is just tricking us with fast hands somehow"(this can happen conciously or subconciously), whereas a dressed up person is not only more memorable, but also gives the sense of authority and sticking out of the mass, it makes you special. And a special person doing special things is logically more respected.
You mainly want a person to react emotionally to your magic, and put closure on his interlectual sense. You can percive that much easier by a strong presentation, and a strong presentation is enchanted by a special outfit. When speaking of people such as criss angel, he has just already built up such a huge amount of prestige that basically anything he does will in one way or another be effective. I doubt anyone who sees him doesn't recognize him.

Also, metalheads tends to look cool, I'd put him in the "sleazerocker" section.

I'd have to disagree here, using the very same example. If soomeone who looked normal in street clothes did something extraordinary, one could argue it more impressive since the expectations are lower.

Personally, I perform in a variety of clothing, but never too formal. It's just not my style.

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden
I'd have to disagree here, using the very same example. If soomeone who looked normal in street clothes did something extraordinary, one could argue it more impressive since the expectations are lower.

Personally, I perform in a variety of clothing, but never too formal. It's just not my style.

Hmm I'm not sure if it would be as memorable, due to a "normal" person doing it. But you might be right, personally I prefer my cannibal corpse shirt and jeans but I don't believe that puts me at my maximum as a performer.
I'll take an example I read of once, I do believe this was in the book Strong Magic.
Some guys were sitting in a bar, watching banachek at tv bending spoons. They were all heavily impressed. One of the guys at the bar said "Bah I can do that too." And did the trick just as impressively as him. Yet when the spectator saw him do it, noone was impressed and just accused him of being a ridicilous cheater. This guy at the bar had no prestige, he was just one of them, the expectations were zero.
A spectator usually sees what they they expect to see, they had no expectations on him, he was "one of them", there was no magic there.
If some unknown street magician messes up "pff amateur", if some world famous magician messes up "ah all a part of the act", that might be used as both an advantage and disadvantage.
Not saying that you're wrong mate, I myself am a very unexperienced magician, but it's interesting to hear your point of view since I've been doing alot of research on the whole matter.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Just a few facts:

Magicians used to dress as Jesters or Clowns to entertain... As in court jesters.

Robert Houdin started wearing a tux because everyone in Paris wore a tux when they went out at night and he wanted to blend in. A lot of magicians over look that. He wanted to BLEND, that's why he wore a tuxedo and dressed up.

David Copperfield has always worn clothes that blend in with everyday people, as does David Blaine.

I would say, if you were going to perform, know where you are going to perform.. if its a formal event then dress in formal attire, if you are doing something casual, there is nothing wrong with clean jeans and a well fitting t-shirt.

Just some magic points I thought might help. There isn't a need to be "that guy that dresses strange and does dorky card tricks".

Love,

Katie

Just a few facts:

Magicians used to dress as Jesters or Clowns to entertain... As in court jesters.

Robert Houdin started wearing a tux because everyone in Paris wore a tux when they went out at night and he wanted to blend in. A lot of magicians over look that. He wanted to BLEND, that's why he wore a tuxedo and dressed up.

David Copperfield has always worn clothes that blend in with everyday people, as does David Blaine.

I would say, if you were going to perform, know where you are going to perform.. if its a formal event then dress in formal attire, if you are doing something casual, there is nothing wrong with clean jeans and a well fitting t-shirt.

Just some magic points I thought might help. There isn't a need to be "that guy that dresses strange and does dorky card tricks".

Love,

Katie

Awesome!

But it all depends on you character also, in magic alot overlook this. A simple example is that my character is supposed to be seen as a Psychologycal Illusionist. But if i came in shorts and half naked that wouldnt really make my one. ;)

For my case i wear grey pants that look thick but are actually very airi and cool(in a degree sense) . I also wear a white T-Shirt and a tux jacket, but more "street" style. (im not from the US so how the heck should i know how you call it :) , hope you understood that ) Yet its not quite like a street jacket its just kinda that.

Anyways, its how you want to be seen and you character makes the performance more stronger.

So it dosent matter what you look like, if it is you character than that is what you wear.

That is something that has been overlooked.

Mikk

Sep 9, 2007
Hmm I'm not sure if it would be as memorable, due to a "normal" person doing it. But you might be right, personally I prefer my cannibal corpse shirt and jeans but I don't believe that puts me at my maximum as a performer.
I'll take an example I read of once, I do believe this was in the book Strong Magic.
Some guys were sitting in a bar, watching banachek at tv bending spoons. They were all heavily impressed. One of the guys at the bar said "Bah I can do that too." And did the trick just as impressively as him. Yet when the spectator saw him do it, noone was impressed and just accused him of being a ridicilous cheater. This guy at the bar had no prestige, he was just one of them, the expectations were zero.
A spectator usually sees what they they expect to see, they had no expectations on him, he was "one of them", there was no magic there.
If some unknown street magician messes up "pff amateur", if some world famous magician messes up "ah all a part of the act", that might be used as both an advantage and disadvantage.
Not saying that you're wrong mate, I myself am a very unexperienced magician, but it's interesting to hear your point of view since I've been doing alot of research on the whole matter.

Like I said - it's all abou environment and personality. It's better to feel comfortable (which could be in formal attire if that's you thing.) and put on a stellar performance. The performance is what they should remember, not your clothing. If your clothing was more memorable than your performance, then (for lack of a better way to express it I'll use an internet meme): "you're doing it wrong"

Last edited by a moderator:

PTG

Jun 15, 2008
In a cave.
And to add to this, Daniel Garcia has been wearing his style for several years now. He had the hat (and I believe, the glasses) in his DGP 1-3 DVDs. We don't want to stick out the entire day so we don't dress up. Maybe, we should think about wearing something nice if it's a show, but why dress up everyday?

-PTG

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
absolutely. dan has a great unique sense of style, i was just making a point that it is unique and doesn't really follow conventional "trends" which is part of how individual he and his magic are. which is a good thing

oh, i thought you meant something totally different. but yes i totally agree with you.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Has anyone knoticed how magicians are changing their clothing and appearance more and more recently to suit the "street look"? I was just watching the trailer for Garcia's "Symphony". It looks great, but that's aside the point, his appearance in the trailer is all black and blinged out wielding and "cool hat" and sunglasses. Now, previous to this, all I saw of Garcia was not that sort of style. Same with Justin Miller, he changed from clean cut upstanding magician to "street Justin." Maybe it has always been this way and I am just noticing, but if not, do you guys think it's a bad thing? I personally don't see it as necessary. It's almost like the style is inching toward the dark, almost evil appearance that Criss Angel tries to create and I don't want that associated with magic.

This site is catering to the Teenage magicians that are just coming out.
This is what teen (boys) like. Remember,its a business too.
Go out in the real magic world and you wont see much of this.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Awesome!

But it all depends on you character also,

Mikk

Which alot of young magicians lack.
And if they have it,they dont show it. What people dont think about is that the audience NOTICE YOUR CLOTHES.Everyone does,even when your not performing.(Ex: girls) and most performers I see have blue jeans and a T-shirt.
No style or character that is evident by looking.

Sep 9, 2007
Which alot of young magicians lack.
And if they have it,they dont show it. What people dont think about is that the audience NOTICE YOUR CLOTHES.Everyone does,even when your not performing.(Ex: girls) and most performers I see have blue jeans and a T-shirt.
No style or character that is evident by looking.

right, but that's not to say that having "tails and a top hat" give you character. You can dress non-traditionally and have character. You could be wearing "street clothes" without wearing a "t-shirt and jeans". In fact, every piece in my closet has some part of my character in them. I don't think I own any plain white tees or plain blue jeans.

Not to say I'm waaaay out there, but I have clothing that gets noticed. I own this one (actually a couple of the same, but in different colors) shirt that gets compliments everytime I wear it. That and the cut of it is superb. Really nice button up shirt. It's pretty dressed down, but gets attention.

And again, how you dress has a lot more to do with your environment. You're not going to walk through compton doing street magic in a tux.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
right, but that's not to say that having "tails and a top hat" give you character....
...And again, how you dress has a lot more to do with your environment. You're not going to walk through compton doing street magic in a tux.

Never said to do such thing.
There are more dress styles than 'street' and 'tuxedoed'.
And that fit ANY environment.
Also,dont assume that all everyone does is street magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results