Mentalism and Hypnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The problem is that he needs to develop thick skin and the fact that he constantly tries to do Criss Angel style videos and then has continuous crotch shots. Hell the whole "Continuous Shot" thing just for a card effect was even more silly.

Here's the other problem. You shouldn't try to impress magicians, specially ones who post on message boards. But IF you do want to impress (which it seems like you are trying to do.). You need to get a better camera man. Nobody wants to see and endless shot of your hands or crotch. Like I said tho, it's very easy to simply let the camera man in on it and just tell him/her, where to stand or position the camera.

M

Mystifier1

I didnt replyed to your question because It wasnt well written. ;)

Im done posting in this thread, you dont deserve any attention.

BTW, my signature rocks.
That's bull. When you post you constantly have grammar and spelling errors so you cant tell me what was written correctly. You still failed to answer my question. Bringing attention to your signature just shows how childish you are. I saw your signature when you first put it up and didn't respond to it.

I have one more question.

What's with the over the top music and posing? Honestly, it just looks silly and kind of lame. You still need to tell the camera guy to not burn your hands. You can do a video with card magic and have him set up the camera to where it is facing straight forward and showing the ENTIRE performance.

I know the first thing was filmed poorly and I had talk to him about it when I watched it.

May 3, 2008
That's bull. When you post you constantly have grammar and spelling errors so you cant tell me what was written correctly. You still failed to answer my question. Bringing attention to your signature just shows how childish you are. I saw your signature when you first put it up and didn't respond to it.

I know the first thing was filmed poorly and I had talk to him about it when I watched it.

The reason he has grammatical errors is because he is from Mexico...where they speak SPANISH! He types pretty well for a second language.

M

Mystifier1

The reason he has grammatical errors is because he is from Mexico...where they speak SPANISH! He types pretty well for a second language.

I know why and because of that very reason he shouldn't tell me what was written correctly.

Here is my question again.
Where did you hear me say that you guys were idiots RDchopper?

I asked again to not only clarify my question, but since he is clearly not done with the thread like he said he was.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I know why and because of that very reason he shouldn't tell me what was written correctly.

I asked again to not only clarify my question, but since he is clearly not done with the thread like he said he was.

At least answer my questions.

M

Mystifier1

At least answer my questions.

I don't act like criss angel on purpose. I honestly don't think I am either. Sure our persona's are similar, but I don't think there the same.

Was that your only question or were there more?

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hahaha I have a lot of fun reading this thread!!

maybe Visual artist is right, your skills are equal to some people here, but the videos, the hands gestures and the "criss angel" motiv is what makes me not to take you seriously

RDChopper and Mystifier1 always fight because of the grammar...that´s very funny to watch

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I don't act like criss angel on purpose. I honestly don't think I am either. Sure our persona's are similar, but I don't think there the same.

Was that your only question or were there more?

That was it. Just try to distinuish yourself more than him and the rest of the mass of performers. Its obvious you have more ambition than others,its just your way of going about it is misguided. Listen moreso to the veteran magicians here. Ask for their advice.

Sep 1, 2007
Rather than continuing my blow-by-blow deconstruction, I'm going to take a different tack before I leave to get a sandwich. If I was to continue in the previous manner through the whole ten minutes, I would need at least two margaritas.

The first performance was bland and pedestrian. It had nothing to do with hypnosis and was mental magic at most. Predictions I have a problem with. To frame it as hypnosis, here's how I would have presented it.

Start with introductions and ask if they're familiar with hypnosis. Expand on the idea by explaining that the human eye can capture a lot when it focuses, but we filter it all to prevent sensory overload. Ask them to hold eye contact for a moment with dead silence.

Place your card in the first spectator's hand. Have the second one place their hand over it for a few seconds. Perform the force you did in the video (don't tell me it wasn't a force, anything else would be impractical and a pain in the ass compared to the elegance of a card force).

Have them withdraw the force card and look at it. "Now... since the brain forgets nothing, do you think it's possible to temporarily overcome flicker fusion and instinctively reach for something you have an affinity for?"

Let the first spectator reveal the card in their hand. Not actual stage hypnosis, but played with a straight enough face you could pass it off...

OR

Instead of hypnosis, mentalism. In this just change the presentation to an attempt to overcome probability. Have them grip your wrist and close your eyes for about 10 seconds. Explain that you're going to try and reduce the probability of picking a specific card to 1 and you needed that moment of contact to direct this altered probability field.

Proceed as normal. This is actually how I prefer to do small-scale predictions unless I'm referencing flickering visions I get during meditation or mental prep work. Rather than predicting the outcome of these little demonstrations, I'm attempting to alter probability to 1 in order to direct the outcome over a small microcosm.

May 31, 2008
I could only bare five minutes, that's all I needed to see though.

Once again, I admire your dedication to make a new "episode" every week, but they're...well...not good.

I gave you a break on the first one you posted here, but I'm going to be a little more harsh.

• Film the spectators reaction, not your crotch! Street magic on TV isn't about the magic, it's about the spectator's reaction.
  • The camera quality was ridiculous, sell the two or three cameras you're using and get one HD one
  • The editing was just atrocious, the camera annoying, and the "continuous shot" subtitles were ugly and unnecessary. Unfortunately I'm not a very good video editor, so I can't give you any real advice there. My apologies.
  • You did not perform mentalism or hypnosis, you did some card tricks
  • That bird hypnosis thing was just awful. There were way too many camera cuts, and I know for a fact that hypnosis on humans can take up to a half hour to work
  • Stop copying Criss Angel! Be yourself!

I'll add more as I think of them.

M

Mystifier1

Rather than continuing my blow-by-blow deconstruction, I'm going to take a different tack before I leave to get a sandwich. If I was to continue in the previous manner through the whole ten minutes, I would need at least two margaritas.

The first performance was bland and pedestrian. It had nothing to do with hypnosis and was mental magic at most. Predictions I have a problem with. To frame it as hypnosis, here's how I would have presented it.

Start with introductions and ask if they're familiar with hypnosis. Expand on the idea by explaining that the human eye can capture a lot when it focuses, but we filter it all to prevent sensory overload. Ask them to hold eye contact for a moment with dead silence.

Place your card in the first spectator's hand. Have the second one place their hand over it for a few seconds. Perform the force you did in the video (don't tell me it wasn't a force, anything else would be impractical and a pain in the ass compared to the elegance of a card force).

Have them withdraw the force card and look at it. "Now... since the brain forgets nothing, do you think it's possible to temporarily overcome flicker fusion and instinctively reach for something you have an affinity for?"

Let the first spectator reveal the card in their hand. Not actual stage hypnosis, but played with a straight enough face you could pass it off...

OR

Instead of hypnosis, mentalism. In this just change the presentation to an attempt to overcome probability. Have them grip your wrist and close your eyes for about 10 seconds. Explain that you're going to try and reduce the probability of picking a specific card to 1 and you needed that moment of contact to direct this altered probability field.

Proceed as normal. This is actually how I prefer to do small-scale predictions unless I'm referencing flickering visions I get during meditation or mental prep work. Rather than predicting the outcome of these little demonstrations, I'm attempting to alter probability to 1 in order to direct the outcome over a small microcosm.

Thanks Steerpick for the critisism it tells me what to do different and no complaints. The only thing is the first wasn't meant to be hypnosis.

M

Mystifier1

I could only bare five minutes, that's all I needed to see though.

Once again, I admire your dedication to make a new "episode" every week, but they're...well...not good.

I gave you a break on the first one you posted here, but I'm going to be a little more harsh.

• Film the spectators reaction, not your crotch! Street magic on TV isn't about the magic, it's about the spectator's reaction.
  • The camera quality was ridiculous, sell the two or three cameras you're using and get one HD one
  • The editing was just atrocious, the camera annoying, and the "continuous shot" subtitles were ugly and unnecessary
  • You did not perform mentalism or hypnosis, you did some card tricks
  • That bird hypnosis thing was just awful. There were way too many camera cuts, and I know for a fact that hypnosis on humans can take up to a half hour to work
  • Stop copying Criss Angel! Be yourself!

I'll add more as I think of them.

The bird hypnosis works with almost any dove if you handle them correctly.

Sep 1, 2007
Thanks Steerpick for the critisism it tells me what to do different and no complaints. The only thing is the first wasn't meant to be hypnosis.

Then it didn't belong.

And what I posted earlier were not complaints either. I was calling on you to change things. I'm not going to spoon-feed you. O Fortuna for example. Don't you think by my reaction that's maybe something you shouldn't use? Or maybe that you should download Audacity or something and edit your sound? I had the YT volume control on the lowest setting and it still threatened to blow out my speakers.

May 31, 2008
The bird hypnosis works with almost any dove if you handle them correctly.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure you simply got the bird into a more relaxed state. If this is correct (and I'm not saying it is) you need to play it up more. Maybe get a pendulum watch and ask the bird to follow it with their eyes (bad example, but you get the idea)

May 3, 2008

Hmm. Maybe here. Your post got removed and the thread closed but Jon Raiker quoted it so at the bottom of the page you can see what you wrote. If you really think that about magicians, then why are you here? Clearly you aren't taking our advice, complaints, criticism or whatever the hell you want to call it.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hmm. Maybe here. Your post got removed and the thread closed but Jon Raiker quoted it so at the bottom of the page you can see what you wrote. If you really think that about magicians, then why are you here? Clearly you aren't taking our advice, complaints, criticism or whatever the hell you want to call it.

Oh My God!!! that post was so full of hate...was that really you, Mystifier1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results