Paul Harris Little Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2009
UK
This sounds amazing & something i could see myself doing in my Close-up performace, i cannot wait to read a review of this effect. This is one hell of a magical effect for spectators.

little MAN - PRE ORDERS BEING TAKEN

Paul Harris, Rod Whitlock and Mark Allen
(special thanks to Angelo Carbone)

Engineering and Product development
by Rod Whitlock

A LUMP OF CLAY COMES TO LIFE!

You bring out a small gift bag and pull out a standard container of kid's clay. You peel off the lid, pull out a lump of clay and let your audience freely squish, pull and play with it. You then help the audience mold the clay into a little man (or woman!) The only reason you help is to insure that his little proportions are correct.

YOUR HANDS ARE ALWAYS EMPTY. THERE'S NOTHING INSIDE THE CLAY!

A spectator then takes a final bit of clay and shapes it into a tiny clay heart. She warms the heart in her hands... and for a moment... she THINKS SHE MIGHT feel a tiny heart beat. She gently sticks the tiny clay heart onto Little Man's chest. You then stand the little guy on the flattened empty bag. Someone gently blows on his heart. Then a moment later...unbelievably... Little Man takes his first step!

YES, HE'S MOVING FORWARD AND ACTUALLY WALKING... ONE ASTONISHING STEP AT A TIME!

This is where you have to see the on-line demo to experience the devastating wonderfulness of it all. His entire clay body VISIBLY TURNS AND LURCHES FORWARD with each dramatic step. And not that you'd want to, but you could leave the room, go out for a burger, and Little Man would keep on walking! And after about 10 steps, when Little Man finally stops, anyone can immediately SQUISH HIM INTO A BALL OR TEAR HIM APART... AND THERE'S NOTHING TO FIND BUT A LUMP OF CLAY!

Incredibly Easy.

No switches, palming, steals, etc.

Your hands are always empty.

Empty bag and container can be freely handled by audience at end of effect.

Completely self-contained. Nothing attached to you or your clothes.

Perform completely surrounded in any lighting conditions

Re-sets in two to three minutes.

* Same lump of clay can be used over and over.

$300 (Complete with DVD and extra clay.)

TAKE LITTLE MAN FOR A WALK TODAY!

DEMO WILL BE POSTED AS SOON AS IT IS AVAILABLE

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Sounds good except most people already gave Paul Harris 300 bucks when he did the True Astonishments set. Now you're paying 300 bucks for one effect?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Sounds good except most people already gave Paul Harris 300 bucks when he did the True Astonishments set. Now you're paying 300 bucks for one effect?

I dont think the same people would be stupid enough to buy another 300 dollar effect(s). then again they are mostly kids...
Thats why I dont like to do what everyone else does,a brand new amazing effect comes out and everyone rushes out their wallets as if the DVD/effect is gonna be sold only once.Ever.
Then another maybe better effect comes out and they already shelled out all of their money instead of calming down and waiting.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Well the idea for the effect sounds good but lacks practicality. I mean who carries around play dough? "Hey want to see do something with this stuff?" "Yeah... no thanks." It just looks silly. Paul Harris is generally a good guy and often has good effects that he "presents". But I don't see the big deal about making a little play dough man walk.. Unless the guy can read your mind, make money appear and then tell you that the person over THERE picked the queen of hearts. I don't see the big deal over it.

The Handy 500 seems good and well it's only like 40 bucks so it's not THAT big of a loss if it turns out to be a dud.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
The idea would be based on the creation of life I'd imagine. That'd play nicely. It's true what you say about play dough. But, in a parlour setting it could work well since you get to introduce your own premise and generally receive more acceptance.

Apr 1, 2009
California
This is one of the most refreshing ideas I have seen in a while. Practicality? I'd make it work. :p. I don't see myself buying it anytime soon. and frankly, I'm not sure I'd want to know how it's done, yet. I just want to see a video of it...

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Well the idea for the effect sounds good but lacks practicality. I mean who carries around play dough?

Same thing could be said about carrying playing cards. Even though no one will say it,carrying around cards is strange.

"Hey want to see do something with this stuff?" "Yeah... no thanks."

Sounds too much like a street magic line. Since not everyone performs that type of magic and in other forms of performing people are actually expecting the magic,I doubt you'll get this answer..[/QUOTE]

It just looks silly. ". .

Your kidding right? Your bringing life(!) into an inanimate object. Cant you see the symbolism that this can represent? There are at least 3 strong scripts that I have now since I heard about this effect yesterday. And one for amazing seance magic.Real scary ass sh!t.(I probably couldnt perform seance properly but I do have a good idea on making it a dark/creepy effect without necessarily making it seance magic)
How could you not see the greatness of doing this.Hell if your not wanting to make a dramatic script you could use a pinocchio tag line here for grown ups.Giving the little playdough boy a heart...and then he lives

But I don't see the big deal about making a little play dough man walk.. .

Its a helluva lot more miraculous than cards hopping around.

Unless the guy can read your mind, make money appear and then tell you that the person over THERE picked the queen of hearts. .
Thats too cliche of a magician.Quite boring and too expected from us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think the same people would be stupid enough to buy another 300 dollar effect(s). then again they are mostly kids...
Thats why I dont like to do what everyone else does,a brand new amazing effect comes out and everyone rushes out their wallets as if the DVD/effect is gonna be sold only once.Ever.
Then another maybe better effect comes out and they already shelled out all of their money instead of calming down and waiting.

visualartist, I typically agree with your point of view. A lot of people jump at the first opportunity to buy the newest effect and fall into a bandwagon of like-minded individuals following the same fad. It's one thing I'm not fond about the industry. I believe it leads to bad magic and foolish, unoriginal behavior and I think that's what you were getting at.

However, I am a Paul Harris fanatic. I believe I have everything he released since the 70s. I even have duplicate copies of some of his original manuscripts like Close-up Kinda Guy and Super Magic. I am in love with his line of thinking. I admire his philosophy and understanding of astonishment. Above all, I actually use his material as much as I possibly can, because I find that it often pays for itself several times over! In my opinion, $300 for an original effect I'll use in a professional performance is chump change. Even if I don't end up using it as often as I thought, I'll at least have the satisfaction of seeing the brilliance in its method and workings. And the rest of Paul Harris' material I use will pay for it in the future.

There's also a significant back-story behind Little Man. Paul Harris wanted to create this effect years ago. The challenge produced various impractical, theoretical solutions from several well-known magicians and ultimately died as a pipe dream. To see this effect finally come to fruition makes my imagination go wild. I'm anxious to see the solution to the problem. I'm anxious to actually try it in the real world. If it's as clean as it is advertised, it would be the perfect way to introduce myself to kids at family venues.

There honestly isn't much that can make me a giddy schoolgirl, but the idea of this being released has me smiling ear to ear. Ha. So I apologize, but I am proudly one of those stupid kids getting this effect after shelling out another $300 on TA. Unlike the majority of releases in the magic industry these days, I find Paul Harris' name to be worth every penny.

RS.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
visualartist, I typically agree with your point of view. A lot of people jump at the first opportunity to buy the newest effect and fall into a bandwagon of like-minded individuals following the same fad. It's one thing I'm not fond about the industry. I believe it leads to bad magic and foolish, unoriginal behavior and I think that's what you were getting at.

However, I am a Paul Harris fanatic. I believe I have everything he released since the 70s. I even have duplicate copies of some of his original manuscripts like Close-up Kinda Guy and Super Magic. I am in love with his line of thinking. I admire his philosophy and understanding of astonishment. Above all, I actually use his material as much as I possibly can, because I find that it often pays for itself several times over! In my opinion, $300 for an original effect I'll use in a professional performance is chump change. Even if I don't end up using it as often as I thought, I'll at least have the satisfaction of seeing the brilliance in its method and workings. And the rest of Paul Harris' material I use will pay for it in the future.

There's also a significant back-story behind Little Man. Paul Harris wanted to create this effect years ago. The challenge produced various impractical, theoretical solutions from several well-known magicians and ultimately died as a pipe dream. To see this effect finally come to fruition makes my imagination go wild. I'm anxious to see the solution to the problem. I'm anxious to actually try it in the real world. If it's as clean as it is advertised, it would be the perfect way to introduce myself to kids at family venues.

There honestly isn't much that can make me a giddy schoolgirl, but the idea of this being released has me smiling ear to ear. Ha. So I apologize, but I am proudly one of those stupid kids getting this effect after shelling out another $300 on TA. Unlike the majority of releases in the magic industry these days, I find Paul Harris' name to be worth every penny.

RS.

Oh well I totally understand what you mean. If the creator/producer is a respectable person and has released great material,im all for it. I was only using TA as an example but I was reffering to all the time a new effect comes out from any popular magic website and then they either dont like it,or they wouldve preffered buying something that came out a few months later and hoping that they had waited instead.
But I get where your coming from,I do it too.I have a few debts to pay before I get this,but ill purchase it by october.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results