The classic pass. Why?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
The classic pass was developed as a way to negate a cut at a card table, a way to return your stock to the top or bottom of the deck after another player cuts the cards. .

In a real game that aint gonna fly unless you want to get shot. Erdnase himself advised against doing the pass and a few card cheats ive known
Of course, who actually cheats at card tables? .

I do.
Im not agreeing or disagreeing with your post,just pointing these two things out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 19, 2009
well thanks for all ur help i have decided to take up the pass. but which i thought i should ethier take the classic pass or the spread pass what do u think i should choose. can i have some pros and cons and personal opinions thanks.

Apr 28, 2008
well thanks for all ur help i have decided to take up the pass. but which i thought i should ethier take the classic pass or the spread pass what do u think i should choose. can i have some pros and cons and personal opinions thanks.

I think it's difficult to compare them as they're best used in different situations, however, here's a basic overview of the advantages and disadvantages of each pass. (This is just my opinion)

Spread Pass Advantages:

Relatively easy to learn,
It happens in a natural and motivated action,
Pretty much invisible even if your hands are burned

Spread Pass Disadvantages:

You have to spread the cards, this would be difficult to justify in some situations,
Has quite a few bad angles (especially Chad Nelson's handling)

Classic Pass Advantages:

Wide range of applications (See earlier posts)
Appears that absolutely nothing has happened, you just square the deck.
Can be done extremely quickly
Can be done slowly and still be invisible if you choose (with the right cover)

Classic Pass Disadvantages:

Quite a difficult move, it's going to take months to learn it and years to master (however you don't need to master it to use it).
While better than the Spread pass, it does still have some bad angles.

I use both of them frequently. I use the Spread pass as a control and to bring the card to the top face up in an ACR. I use the Classic pass for Sandwich routines, vanishes, transpositions etc.

You need to decide what you want to achieve with it and pick the pass which is most suited to your needs.

Learn the turnover pass. Thats it. Just learn that one. This is to learn timing with a shift move. Next, learn the herrman shift. A little more difficult, and this will teach you the misdirection involved for the classic shift. Finally, you can transition into the classic shift. I do NOT recommend the spread pass, for if you can do the shift without as many angles, from all sides, and fast without being suspicious, why learn something as useless as the spread pass? The spread pass, I believe, is the final step in learning the pass. Thats if you are a move monkey. Expect to spend many hundreds of hours with the pass. If you are serious about card magic, learn this. If you arnt, dont waste your time.

May 18, 2008
Well, I LOVE the pass. One of my favorite moves. I think that EVERYONE SHOULD master it in magic, but you don't have to use it. It is PERFECT for just those certain moments that you need it.

And it, like said above, has SO many uses... It is a miracle move.

Apr 28, 2008
Learn the turnover pass. Thats it. Just learn that one. This is to learn timing with a shift move. Next, learn the herrman shift. A little more difficult, and this will teach you the misdirection involved for the classic shift. Finally, you can transition into the classic shift. I do NOT recommend the spread pass, for if you can do the shift without as many angles, from all sides, and fast without being suspicious, why learn something as useless as the spread pass? The spread pass, I believe, is the final step in learning the pass. Thats if you are a move monkey. Expect to spend many hundreds of hours with the pass. If you are serious about card magic, learn this. If you arnt, dont waste your time.

I completely disagree about the Spread pass, it is in no way useless. If you're performing for a small group of people (up to about 6) the Spread pass is a great way to control a card, in fact it's my favourite. It's completely invisible and the action is completely motivated, there's isn't the slightest amount of suspicion from spectators.

Also, the spread pass requires significantly less time to learn than an effective classic pass so you can be doing a spread pass while working on the classic pass. I use a Spread pass every time I perform, way more often than I use a turnover pass.

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
Only practice sleights that you need to know. Ive spent years working on a bunch of sleights(pass included) and only use about 4 of them now,total.
I use the spread pass because it allows the spectators to SEE a block of cards going above theirs and thats all I really need a pass for.
I at times perform the classic pass super slow in performances in front of some magician friends just a prove a point.
I trust some of you can figure out what it is.

Thats ia a great advice, Only practice the sleights that you need to know.

Everyone seems to be working on like 10008693 sleights all the time and they dont really have any idea of why and what to use them for.

Jul 19, 2009
any tips on the two handed shift. the tips i have r : use 2 decks, i saw rdchopper tips videp, i got erdnase what else and for erdnase the closin bit do i drop the upper packet or do i bring the lower packet up the upper packet. again any tips

SO many has pointed out the almighty "pass".

Lets not talk about the pass or the cascade control etc.

Lets talk about you.
Its always better to learn more then to learn less.
To me: The pass and the cascade control are both my favourites. I need them both!. If you keep doing the pass, people are going to recognise the position you always set yourself in and they know something is going on even if they cant see a thing.

Learn a few other controls and always have them up and ready to perform.

You are not a good magician if you only know 1 control =.= so what if your pass is the best ?

Good Controls for me : Pass, Bluff Pass, Nowhere Pass, Cascade Control, Venus Trap.

Cheers =)

Jul 19, 2009
to be honest, the only control i use is the herman pass. its like the classic pass but backwards. i find it alot easier and just as deceptive as the classic pass.

-M.

Jul 19, 2009
i know alot bluff pass,classic pass,spreas pass,cherry control,cascade control, nowhere pass,double undercut,marlo tilt, card turnover and more but i reall want to get a decent pass and why no tips

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
the best tip i can give is on timing...

what i learned is from a spread, when bringing the cards back together leave the right long side open like a book where their card is (under cover of your right hand grabbing the deck while closing the spread). this gives you time to gesture with the left hand, and because of the gap, when you bring your hands together casually you can instantly get into position and do the pass as quick as possible. These are, IMO, the two most important aspects of the sleight: doing it as soon as the hands come together and putting in a time delay.

if you are trying to get a pass that is burnable such as pollomagic, GOOD LUCK:D let us know how its going in a year or two...

here's my attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W5x6dgbm0Y

Nov 14, 2007
Mexico City
...Good Controls for me : Pass, Bluff Pass, Nowhere Pass, Cascade Control, Venus Trap.

Cheers =)

i know alot bluff pass,...,cherry control,cascade control, nowhere pass,double undercut,marlo tilt, card turnover and more...

Those are single card controls (Double Undercut aside). A 2 handed shift'd be a way to revert a whole cut: shifting half the deck.

The classic scenario in an ambitious card routine:

THe card is signed and placed on the table. The magician takes the card and places it in the middle of the deck. He now executes a series of cuts and then focuses attention on the deck. The card could be anywhere. And now it's revealed on the top.

OR

The card is signed and placed in the middle of the deck. The magician moves the packet towards the spectator and shows the card going in. He makes a magical gesture and BLAM! The card is on top.

If you cut the cards, what's the point? Of course it's on top. After cutting, it could be anywhere! The purpose of the pass is to nullify that thought. If it goes in and the you don't do anything (apparently) than it MUST be in the middle of the deck. When it comes to the top or wherever it seems more magical because of the lack of funny action. Vernon preached "eliminate moves!" Why do a triple cut when you can appear to do nothing more than square the deck? It is a rapid, expedient and when performed correctly, invisible way of moving the target card to the top or bottom of the deck while maintaining the appearance of absolute fairness. Pass vs. side steal? That's another argument all together!

Regards,
Jonathan

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results