The most powerful effect usiing playing cards

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
Yes,I did.
I have to. I hate doing "pick a card" type tricks for the most part.
Id rather use cards in a more interesting way.

pretty cool, how did you come up with it.

whered you start?

i not a big fan of the satan aspect of it, but im not a big religious freak.

Just not my style

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
pretty cool, how did you come up with it.

whered you start?

i not a big fan of the satan aspect of it, but im not a big religious freak.

Just not my style

I live with catholic mythology in my mind so these thoughts just come.
Most ideas come from my own mind but at times from re-reading dantes inferno,paradise lost,hellboy,constantine,etc.
I also have an effect where I freeze water around a playing card.Visually.instantly.
Ironically,I came up with that one two weeks before buying chris laffertys freezer burn.Though different methodology and concept.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
I live with catholic mythology in my mind so these thoughts just come.
Most ideas come from my own mind but at times from re-reading dantes inferno,paradise lost,hellboy,constantine,etc.
I also have an effect where I freeze water around a playing card.Visually.instantly.
Ironically,I came up with that one two weeks before buying chris laffertys freezer burn.Though different methodolgy and concept.

magic like that is amazing, how do you come up with methods to these effects?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
magic like that is amazing, how do you come up with methods to these effects?

Its hard to explain.
One just figures these things out.
You have to come up with the most impractical method of accomplishing it first of all. Then,improve on it and make it work for you.
Of course,im not the type to want everything laid out for me like "impromptu" and "instant reset!!". Because most of the good magic isnt that easy.
Your not gonna be able to perform the magic you really want to do if your scared of being caught or dirty.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
Its hard to explain.
One just figures these things out.
You have to come up with the most impractical method of accomplishing it first of all. Then,improve on it and make it work for you.
Of course,im not the type to want everything laid out for me like "impromptu" and "instant reset!!". Because most of the good magic isnt that easy.
Your not gonna be able to perform the magic you really want to do if your scared of being caught or dirty.

interesting, i would like to come up with a couple of original effects.
but i dont think im at that point yet.

I have ideas, but nothing to spectacular

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
interesting, i would like to come up with a couple of original effects.
but i dont think im at that point yet.

I have ideas, but nothing to spectacular

What you have to remember is to not TRY to come up with an effect.
Because if you think about it,youll end up overthinking the effect and you wind up at blank again.
Let it come to you.
Also,never never never think like a magician. Think in laymen terms. Or hell,ask laymen what kind of magic they would like to see(as an offbeat convo,dont mention your a magician).
Think about what would regular joe like to see? A sandwich effect? No.
They usually answer with "float this!" ,"put your hand through this!!" or "change this into that!!".
And progress from there. Change a straw into a gummy worm. Take a drawing of a chocolate bar and turn it into a real one.Just think of the most random crap and amongst all that you will have a solid idea that is a meaningful trick to the spectator(on a human or emotional scale) and that is unique and suprising to see.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Tensegrity is a concept published both in AoA and TA.

I've never liked Big Tiny personally all that much, but that's interesting, I know a lot of people do like it.

Effects with playing cards, but not in a normal way?

Berglas Effect
Open Prediction
Psychological Forces

are three that come to mind.

Obviously, the first is the any card at any number plot. The second is along the lines of 51 Faces North. And the third is self evident.

These are the ones for me that stand out in card magic - a spectator picking a card, and it's just there. No finding it, no questions asked, not even necessarily "mind reading" - it's just there. No switches, and perhaps most importantly, no touching the deck.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Out of This World always gets good reactions, since the spectators do the effect.

If you like it you should check out Aaron Delong's Hummer Deck, and his version of 'OOTW' called 'white trash'.

You could create your own 'sam the bellhop' type of effect, just make a story using all the cards, false shuffles and cuts, and be entertaining about it.

Just a few thoughts that instantly hit me, I gotta run to work though.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Out of this World certainly is one of those things I've gotten incredible mileage from. Pity I don't get the right circumstances to perform it like I used to. Actually, that gives me an idea. Might actually give it a run on Sunday. :D

Jul 13, 2009
Some card effects I like are,

Two card monte
Any of the methods for card to impossible places
That card transposition made popular by DB (David Blaine, had to be specific to many DBs in magic)
Out of this world
ACAAN (impromptu)

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
You guys are mistaking him.
He is talking about card effects that have nothing to do with the cards themselves.
Not anything like sandwiches,transps or monte.
He means in the vein of Cinders by Dee or some that I have described. Maybe distortion is a bit like what he means too.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
You guys are mistaking him.
He is talking about card effects that have nothing to do with the cards themselves.
Not anything like sandwiches,transps or monte.
He means in the vein of Cinders by Dee or some that I have described. Maybe distortion is a bit like what he means too.

thank you, im glad you understand what i was asking.
I wasn't sure how to put it.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
Tensegrity is a concept published both in AoA and TA.

I've never liked Big Tiny personally all that much, but that's interesting, I know a lot of people do like it.

Effects with playing cards, but not in a normal way?

Berglas Effect
Open Prediction
Psychological Forces

are three that come to mind.

Obviously, the first is the any card at any number plot. The second is along the lines of 51 Faces North. And the third is self evident.

These are the ones for me that stand out in card magic - a spectator picking a card, and it's just there. No finding it, no questions asked, not even necessarily "mind reading" - it's just there. No switches, and perhaps most importantly, no touching the deck.

whats the best resource to learn abour effects of this nature?

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
What you have to remember is to not TRY to come up with an effect.
Because if you think about it,youll end up overthinking the effect and you wind up at blank again.
Let it come to you.
Also,never never never think like a magician. Think in laymen terms. Or hell,ask laymen what kind of magic they would like to see(as an offbeat convo,dont mention your a magician).
Think about what would regular joe like to see? A sandwich effect? No.
They usually answer with "float this!" ,"put your hand through this!!" or "change this into that!!".
And progress from there. Change a straw into a gummy worm. Take a drawing of a chocolate bar and turn it into a real one.Just think of the most random crap and amongst all that you will have a solid idea that is a meaningful trick to the spectator(on a human or emotional scale) and that is unique and suprising to see.

good advice thanks alot, i really like the idea of even asking people what they would like to see.
Im really wanting to get into magic with random objects, with lighters, pens, etc.
I hae greg wilsons on the spot, which has some good stuff.
But im wanting to create my own

Sep 24, 2007
You could swap your playing cards for tarot cards and learn to give people readings. That could be more powerful than any card trick.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results