New to Cardistry/Flourishing? Click here!

The Heckler

Banned
Nov 30, 2008
sounds very biased, How is starting with "Xbegginerzs?" going to prepare people for the other DVD's you mentioned? The real one that will prepare you for the Bucks DVD's are Brian Tudor's ShowOff volumes 1 and 2

n0c

Feb 9, 2009
Hey everyone,

First off, you might be asking... What is Cardistry/Flourishing?

For this, read The Cardistry FAQ.

Another common question for any beginner is, "are there many places to learn flourishing? Where do I start?". To answer those questions, yes, there are many places to learn flourishing, and I'll give you some tips on where to start:

If you are brand new, I would recommend getting the Xtreme Beginnerz DVD Set by De'vo, there are a couple places that you can buy this DVD right from De'vo, they are http://www.xtremehandz.com (this online store is based in the USA) or http://www.handlordz.de (this one is based in Germany.

This DVD set covers the scope of card manipulation, from fanning, to one handed cuts, to table cuts. It also includes introductions into areas of flourishing such as the armspread, the spring, and the one-handed shuffle. It is a great DVD set, easy to learn from, and perfect for beginners!

Once you get this DVD, I would recommend learning a few flourishes that you like and practicing them until you can do them decently, then pick a few more that you like and practice those, and do this until you have learned what you want to from this DVD set. The DVD set also includes the "Q Section", which follows the learning process of a beginner over a four-week period, this beginner is taught moves by Jerry Cestkowski and De'vo and we get to see his progress, problems, etc. This section includes a vast amount of great tips as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next products I would recommend to go after Xtreme Beginnerz is either the Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes (http://www.flourishman.com) or The System (http://www.dananddave.com). I'll give a description of the Encyclopedia first:

This HUGE book was written by Jerry Cestkowski and contains a vast assortment of moves, from armspreads, to one-handed cuts of all kinds, to springs, spreads, shuffles, drops, card throwing, card juggling, etc. It has a TON of pictures for each move, and is very easy to learn from. To make learning EVEN EASIER, he also sells "Companion DVDs" that go along with the book, these DVDs don't teach the moves, but they show the moves being performed, and they also show routines using the moves in the chapter that they are covering. They also show a creative possibility with each move that they demonstrate. This book has enough knowledge to keep you busy for a long time.

You could also get The System. The Encyclopedia has a good amount of single and multiple two-handed cut types of things, but only a few two-handed cuts that are complex, while The System specializes in more complex multi-packet two handed cuts. It's a great DVD that teaches some nice material, though you need to know the Revolution Cut before you buy it (this can be learned from a DVD such as Brian Tudor's "Generation eXtreme"). It depends on what kinds of moves that you like, check out both product descriptions and reviews and see what interests you, or even buy both if you want. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another nice place to learn some beginner moves is 4Jacks' YouTube account: 4jacksFort

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the next step is an interesting one. You certainly have your roots, where do you go from here? Well, that is really your decision. Once you have your basics down, you can really tackle almost any move. The journey from here is up to you, but for your benefit, I'll list out some good products:

Cradle to Grave by De'vo

The Trilogy by Dan and Dave Buck

Generation eXtreme by Brian Tudor

The Cobra Collection by De'vo

Lethal by Daniel Madison (http://www.devilsadvocateproductions.com)

Tutorials on Decknique.net

And remember to really look into a product before you buy it, watch any previews for it to get an idea of the material, check out the price, read reviews, and really know a bit about what you're getting before you get it. :)

Check back every now and then, I will update this post as I discover new and good products.

-Vince

help!!! i tried to learn a charlier cut just to see if i wanted to try this or not and i realized that my hands are too small! wat should i do?

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
Think about where all of your fingers are supposed to be. Keep practicing. Remember exactly where all of your fingers are supposed to be, and why.

I have hands that are barely larger than my 10 year old nephew's, and I can pull it off. It's not pretty enough (yet) to be a great flourish, but it's a great cut for a couple of effects.

Aug 18, 2009
got ya~
maybe as someone out of US, it's quite hard to learn something about it...
but i'll try!
THX,Vinnie~

May 24, 2010
pakistan, islamabad
hey sorry for posting it here guys but....

im having a lil problems with revolution cut and thumb cut may be cuz of smaller hands plus the lack of flexibility....i wud appriciate if anyone wud like to give sum tips and exercises cuz im totally new in tis art and i luv it but i keep throwing the cards over n over again......waiting for ur response specially andrei jikh cuz our hands r of the same size almost....
thnx

im having a lil problems with revolution cut and thumb cut may be cuz of smaller hands plus the lack of flexibility....i wud appriciate if anyone wud like to give sum tips and exercises cuz im totally new in tis art and i luv it but i keep throwing the cards over n over again......waiting for ur response specially andrei jikh cuz our hands r of the same size almost....
thnx

Have you compared side-by-side your hand with Andrei Jikh?;) lol I find that funny

For the thumb-cut, to learn it you might want to divide the deck in half first and practice the cut. That way the deck is thinner for your thumb to reach over and seperate the deck!

I forgot who said this, maybe Huron, but its something like.......find a new grip or technique that has the ability to do the revolution cut, the thumbcut, whatever else you're having trouble with.

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow, Russia
waiting for ur response specially andrei jikh cuz our hands r of the same size almost....
thnx
That's it. Remember - if one person could do something, the other person can do it too, always. Don't you think Andrei just took the cards and did these two cuts? Practice, I mastered my revolution cut for one month, and mastering it up till now. The same thing with thumb cut. Good luck! And remember another important thing: you will drop cards a lot.

May 24, 2010
pakistan, islamabad
haha im jus guessing

Have you compared side-by-side your hand with Andrei Jikh?;) lol I find that funny

For the thumb-cut, to learn it you might want to divide the deck in half first and practice the cut. That way the deck is thinner for your thumb to reach over and seperate the deck!

I forgot who said this, maybe Huron, but its something like.......find a new grip or technique that has the ability to do the revolution cut, the thumbcut, whatever else you're having trouble with.

yeah i think i shud keep tryin to find a new way perhaps that will help..thnx man

May 24, 2010
pakistan, islamabad
thnx bro...im feeling better now

That's it. Remember - if one person could do something, the other person can do it too, always. Don't you think Andrei just took the cards and did these two cuts? Practice, I mastered my revolution cut for one month, and mastering it up till now. The same thing with thumb cut. Good luck! And remember another important thing: you will drop cards a lot.

yeah i hv already droped em a thousand times :) plus i hv to manage time for my studies and job so i can practice most of the days....but i like keeping cards in my hands all da time ...plus Alexender what tutorial or which artist wud u suggest me to start learning flourishes....initially....and what abt flexibily of hands mine r not that flexible..how can i improve that ??

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow, Russia
yeah i hv already droped em a thousand times :) plus i hv to manage time for my studies and job so i can practice most of the days....but i like keeping cards in my hands all da time ...plus Alexender what tutorial or which artist wud u suggest me to start learning flourishes....initially....and what abt flexibily of hands mine r not that flexible..how can i improve that ??
I suggest you to buy Andrei Jikh's Genesis vol.1, he teaches basic cuts (Revolution, Charlier, Thumb and etc), fans and little flourishes. Flexibility comes with practice. The more you repeat doing something, the more flexibility, speed and precision you will get. You can check finger exercises in Dan and Dave's Trilogy Dics 3 (Everythingelse), but I'm not very sure they can help you much. Just practice, be patient and pay attention to every detail, because once you learned something new, have been practicing it for few month and realize that you learned that move wrong, that can be some sort of dissapointment for you, even if it's not so hard to fix. So, good luck in flourishing and cardistry world!
- Alexander

May 24, 2010
pakistan, islamabad
ok i got it

I suggest you to buy Andrei Jikh's Genesis vol.1, he teaches basic cuts (Revolution, Charlier, Thumb and etc), fans and little flourishes. Flexibility comes with practice. The more you repeat doing something, the more flexibility, speed and precision you will get. You can check finger exercises in Dan and Dave's Trilogy Dics 3 (Everythingelse), but I'm not very sure they can help you much. Just practice, be patient and pay attention to every detail, because once you learned something new, have been practicing it for few month and realize that you learned that move wrong, that can be some sort of dissapointment for you, even if it's not so hard to fix. So, good luck in flourishing and cardistry world!
- Alexander

hmm i think i understand what u jus said....may be im doin it wrong cuz i hv no learning dvd rite now...ok sure i'll try to buy Genesis...and try to give as much time as i can to improve these cuts and flourishes....seriously i cant be good at it unless i practice hard !!!
thnx bro...i really appriciate ur suggestions i think T11 is a gr8 platform to improve art of magic and cardistry...Peace !!!

Feb 17, 2010
Moscow, Russia
hmm i think i understand what u jus said....may be im doin it wrong cuz i hv no learning dvd rite now...ok sure i'll try to buy Genesis...and try to give as much time as i can to improve these cuts and flourishes....seriously i cant be good at it unless i practice hard !!!
thnx bro...i really appriciate ur suggestions i think T11 is a gr8 platform to improve art of magic and cardistry...Peace !!!
And one more advice: if you can't execute the cut, it doesn't mean that you're doing or learning it wrong :) It's just everything comes with time.

thnx

Keep trying. If you do it enough you'll eventually get it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results