Magic product you would NEVER recommend.

Jul 19, 2009
there are so many thread saying whats your favorite magic dvd or favorite deck etc, but what about the dvd u would never recommend, for me i have to say show off with cards, they don't credit anyone the teacher can JUST ABOUT do the moves him self u has no style or any thing original DONT GET IT, WHAT MAGIC PRODUCT WILL U NEVER RECOMMEND??

there are so many thread saying whats your favorite magic dvd or favorite deck etc, but what about the dvd u would never recommend, for me i have to say show off with cards, they don't credit anyone the teacher can JUST ABOUT do the moves him self u has no style or any thing original DONT GET IT, WHAT MAGIC PRODUCT WILL U NEVER RECOMMEND??
i would never nto recommend a product...i just wouldn't buy it...why???

thats a simple way of putting down someone else's work...

every effect you like or don't like, might be the other way around for someone else...

as for those who don't credit and those who are terrible at patter and style....i take the good from everything and dissect through the bad...even the worst magician has something good about him....and even the best one has something you will not find very good...i dissect it all and find what i'm about...that my friend is called real character......

Sep 16, 2008
First of all this is a very interesting thread but I think it will soon be closed down. I would never recommend X finger. Organic by DnD.

The reason X finger is just a bit too clumsy in method.
Organic is good but for beginners, I did not found any effect ingenious, and the overall theme of the book was bad. no pictures even the first recorded book on magic written in 1500s had illustrations. I cannot remember the name though.

this isnt a bad thread, but its just worded weird.
persoanlly TnR, i never would or have used it. also exile i would never use.
there are many other tricks out there that arent performance worth or are very difficult to use in practical settings

Sep 16, 2008
Some of the 1 on 1s are really lame and for the extreme beginners, some of them you can learn by just watching the trailer 5 to 10 times.

I agree with TnR and Exile. While exile isnt that bad but where I live people know how its done. On the other hand watermark is great but where I live I cannot find the materials.

Surprised why this thread is not closed.

Sep 6, 2009
Riot from Theory11 is rubbish

I beg to differ. I think riot is one of the few tricks which is actually worth buying from Theory11. Then again, that's my style. There is no such thing as a magic product which is not worth buying as different people have different styles. So technically, this thread is useless

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I think every product has its pro's and con's.

Even if something isn't for you, it can teach you something. Writers often force themselves through bad books, and then analyze why they are bad so they won't make the same mistakes as other authors. (hell if this guy can get published with this crap, I should be able to make a fortune)

(to above) X-Finger is something that was used and harnessed in the real world, the method may need some practice, but I find it useful in many situations, not a 'go-to' effect, but good in a pinch as a 2nd or 3rd string sort of thing. (Ring thing being a go-to effect at a party where someone finds out I do magic)

I also still do the 'disappearing pen cap'...only I've found a method of ditching that allows me to make it reappear as well, no fishing in pock...I mean thin air where it vanished...for the cap. ;)

As far as not recommending. I don't recommend buying too many things at the same time. Like the people who say 'I'm going to buy all 5 volumes of Card College'...no, buy volume 1 and read it cover to cover. If you enjoyed it, get volume 2.

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden
I beg to differ. I think riot is one of the few tricks which is actually worth buying from Theory11. Then again, that's my style. There is no such thing as a magic product which is not worth buying as different people have different styles. So technically, this thread is useless
I disagree. The problem here is the lack of elaborated descriptions to why they wouldn't recommend it.
I'm sure there are DVD products out there that lack so much in instructional and video quality that it is basically and literally, garbage. Others would not recommend it because the style of performing it requires is so restricted, there are all sorts of reasons, as long as you explain them well they will be worth listening to.

Sep 6, 2009
I disagree. The problem here is the lack of elaborated descriptions to why they wouldn't recommend it.
I'm sure there are DVD products out there that lack so much in instructional and video quality that it is basically and literally, garbage. Others would not recommend it because the style of performing it requires is so restricted, there are all sorts of reasons, as long as you explain them well they will be worth listening to.

Well I'll just wait for any to pop out then I'll agree with what you just said

Thats why.....

hey guys i totally get you... the effects these creators make are grand, however they don't work in every situation...thats where magicians like you guys really come into play...start trying to create more workable effect...these guys are creating to the best of their knowledge, if you guys know something better either add to that effect or come up with something that more workable, you guys have the knowledge and skills, all you have to do is put it to the test...

but still i wouldn't call anyone creation garbage or nothing like that...thats really not classy at all...we should embacre what they was trying to do and make it better...

ex. wayne houchin took the coin through can and made it better, he isn't the only creator in the world..if you don't like something make it better...magicians today would love for you guys to make the next big idea...i think if "we" stop complaining and contribute that will only further the magic..its takes confidence.....i think some of you actually have this perception that a big name talent such as the T11 guys would do a effect by you guys, i happen to think otherwise, if they do, then shame on them, but i know we as magicians should really contribute more....

i look at kevin parker's revolution vanish, i like all of his work, not very fond of that effect, however i'm not gonna trash his effect, cuz others like it...what i would like to do is either add to that effect or try and make it better....

i think you guys should seriously take all of this in consideration....

Orb

Jul 19, 2009
Sweden
hey guys i totally get you... the effects these creators make are grand, however they don't work in every situation...thats where magicians like you guys really come into play...start trying to create more workable effect...these guys are creating to the best of their knowledge, if you guys know something better either add to that effect or come up with something that more workable, you guys have the knowledge and skills, all you have to do is put it to the test...

but still i wouldn't call anyone creation garbage or nothing like that...thats really not classy at all...we should embacre what they was trying to do and make it better...

ex. wayne houchin took the coin through can and made it better, he isn't the only creator in the world..if you don't like something make it better...magicians today would love for you guys to make the next big idea...i think if "we" stop complaining and contribute that will only further the magic..its takes confidence.....i think some of you actually have this perception that a big name talent such as the T11 guys would do a effect by you guys, i happen to think otherwise, if they do, then shame on them, but i know we as magicians should really contribute more....

i look at kevin parker's revolution vanish, i like all of his work, not very fond of that effect, however i'm not gonna trash his effect, cuz others like it...what i would like to do is either add to that effect or try and make it better....

i think you guys should seriously take all of this in consideration....
I get your point but it seems like you didn't get mine.
If a product is produced in such a bad manner, video quality and teaching quality wise, that you can't even understand what the effect is, then that product is garbage. The effect is not garbage, but the product is.

Also, developing effects further is something I think we almost always try to achieve. But if the effect requires a 5000$ gimmick then I could see it as a reason to why it shouldn't be recommended, hence this thread.

This is not out of disrespectfulness for the creators or their effect, this is simply making people more aware of certain things that is require that can be very demanding and few can live up to.

If its due to the style being too demanding, the reader will acknowledge that, and still accept the challenge if he is prepared to try to developing it further into his style. Just because someone doesn't recommend something doesn't mean it won't be bought anymore, or that they will even be feared by the reason.

I get your point but it seems like you didn't get mine.
If a product is produced in such a bad manner, video quality and teaching quality wise, that you can't even understand what the effect is, then that product is garbage. The effect is not garbage, but the product is.

Also, developing effects further is something I think we almost always try to achieve. But if the effect requires a 5000$ gimmick then I could see it as a reason to why it shouldn't be recommended, hence this thread.

This is not out of disrespectfulness for the creators or their effect, this is simply making people more aware of certain things that is require that can be very demanding and few can live up to.

If its due to the style being too demanding, the reader will acknowledge that, and still accept the challenge if he is prepared to try to developing it further into his style. Just because someone doesn't recommend something doesn't mean it won't be bought anymore, or that they will even be feared by the reason.
in that case....fine....i totally get you.....

i still wouldn't intentionally not recommend a product of someone else's....what works for me might not work for you...i don't mean you and i...just hypothetically....

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
this thread won´t be closed because of the freedom of speech and thinking is respected here.

If we were in HL forums, maybe it could even get deleted

Only if you disrespect a HL production...if you trash other people they probably wouldn't care..

And I know for a fact that I can't create magic that is better than the top guys in the art. Danny Garcia, Wayne Houchin, Chris Kenner...these guys create things I couldn't even begin to think about.

If something isn't my style or not practical, so be it, I won't use it. I know that if something is angle sensitive, maybe I can hold onto it and maybe do a stand-up/parlor style show where the audience is seated and I can control the angles better.

Every piece of magic has a time, a place, and a performer for it. Most creators use the material they put out for years, which should tell you it's probably worth checking out, and even if you haven't mastered it or don't like the problems...fix the problems. In fact, if you make an effect more practical without causing any new problems, tell the creator. They'd be glad to hear about things like this.

Jul 19, 2009
when i say i will not recommend it, i mean because of the quality and/or the over hypeness if thats makes sense. different people have different taste i hope i make sense here

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results