Object Thrown Across Room

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
Hello.
I was wondering if there is any effects where you can levitate an object and then cause it to be thrown across the room, or at least something around that?

Dec 14, 2007
Bangkok Bungalow was an illusion invented by Guy Jarrett the effect of which was a person magically entered a teeny tiny house which was then carried off the stage.

The idea of objects flying across a room is a very old one and was used often by spirit mediums. One reclusive magical writer did an entire manuscript on the phenomenon and included several methods for recreating it.

It is now out of print and hard to find.

However the idea is long established. I would suggest looking into some of the old magazines particularly those which had a strong mental/seance/bizarre component.

Jul 13, 2009
Actually, it was thrown off stage by a reel, so in theory it could appear to levitate.

Ian

It varied from performer to performer, but that is besides the point and gets us no where; I read that it was carried off stage as well. BUT the reason I am posting again is for this reason, Mr. Henderson reminded me of a manuscript I wanted to buy several years ago but never got around to getting it because of the lack of reviews.

But anyway the manuscript is called "Polter" which can be found here http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=6740 among other places I am sure.

Edit:

Ian that isn't a reel, it used but a pulley systems to assist in the tossing of the illusion. A reel is something like what Kennedy, Sean Bogunia make, and david copperfield uses to make the sheets fly over the audience in the Berkly house. <= Not exposure it's a theatrical trick GO TECHIES!

Dec 14, 2007
Actually, it was thrown off stage by a reel, so in theory it could appear to levitate.

Ian

No.

The house did not levitate nor was it thrown offstage. Neither would have made sense given the effect (and one of these actions would have been dangerous even for Jarrett's sensibilities.)

It was carried off stage by the magician or an assistant.

There was never a reel involved.

The original Bangkok Bungalow prop is in private hands. A "tossed" prop would have never survived ESPECIALLY given the working of the effect.

And, Keokesilverfang, I believe maintaining an accurate historical record DOES get us somewhere.

Jul 13, 2009
And, Keokesilverfang, I believe maintaining an accurate historical record DOES get us somewhere.

Oh I agree I just meant in this thread is all, but now that I think about it I am just rationalizing because someone in the thread suggested something that wouldn't work......:confused:.....Now I am confusing myself. But you are completely right in your logic and historical facts, thanks for sharing it.

Sep 2, 2007
Nova Scotia
you could definatly use a reel. but to get the item to fly across the room as if it was tossed by to much force, i would look into different elastics or slings.

"an invisible sling shot" lol

Jul 13, 2009
Well here is another thing, before I stop for the night because I am giving WAYYYYYYY to much information away.

Here is something that may be of interest to you. I made this prop for halloween one year when I was doing a haunted room. Also I tied mono filament to a glued shut book and attached it to a cieling fan so that a book flies around the room like a ghost is manipulating it. PRo hint, go to google and type in "Monsterlistofhalloweenprojects"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results