Disgrace or Amazingness?

Dec 14, 2007
Magic is only magic when it occurs in reality. Meaning we witness the impossible. We know it's impossible. But yet we see it and experience it and it is undeniable.

With TV and video, that reality is not necessarily present. Thanks to the work of magicians like Wilson, Henning, and Copperfield, we have come to assume that what we see on tv is actually happening in a "real space." Only when this assumption is true do we have "magic". When it is not true we have special effects.

So, it is important whether or not this is "real" or "fake". If it is accomplished through editing it is not magic, it is a special effect. And as interesting as that may be, it cannot exist in the real world and as such it fails as "magic."

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Eh, I could care less if that guy had the skill to make Darwin Ortiz and any other top magician weep like a school girl. I think it's rather lame to try and show off your "moves" to a webcam just so people on the internet can post comments about weather or not you flashed when they hit the rewind button 90x to catch you.

if the guy used dupes, camera editing or witchcraft. It doesn't really matter, because it appears he did what he wanted to. He got every-bodies attention.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Eh, I could care less if that guy had the skill to make Darwin Ortiz and any other top magician weep like a school girl. I think it's rather lame to try and show off your "moves" to a webcam just so people on the internet can post comments about weather or not you flashed when they hit the rewind button 90x to catch you.

if the guy used dupes, camera editing or witchcraft. It doesn't really matter, because it appears he did what he wanted to. He got every-bodies attention.

just like kim kardashian

REAPER

Elite Member
Feb 26, 2009
Even if it was his real skill. His technicality means nothing in the real world.
What im saying is,technical prowess doesnt impress me anymore. These past 6 years thats ALL magic was about anymore that it almost made me sick. So its something I dont care much for anymore.
And besides,our audience could care less. Those are sleights by magicians for magicians to show off to other magicians. Its all largely useless.

I completely agree, man.. The minute we stop trying to impress our spectators and try to impress magicians, then we commit basically magic suicide.. Thats another reason behind being "underground" largely because I dont believe in what magic stands for today.. People still refer to magicians as pulling rabbits out of hats and a lot of the old time magicians try to adapt old concept to keep up with the new generation. If we commit to impressing the audience regardless of method there is nothing lost because as you said, they dont car about how technically difficult a sleight is they just want to experience the magic.. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the difficulty of all magic but, I believe to many magicians dont appreciate the cleverness behind an effect.. Well said man.. - Lane

Jul 9, 2010
Saginaw,MI
Ok Heres the deal did you guys see any jump cuts or breaks every fake video has thoose and i didnt see one of them so just cause he's very talented dosent mean he is a fake

Ok Heres the deal did you guys see any jump cuts or breaks every fake video has thoose and i didnt see one of them so just cause he's very talented dosent mean he is a fake

It doesn't matter anymore. If he faked it, he will not be able to perform it in the real world and live up to the expectations he has set for himself. Why bring back a very trivial subject?

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
This thread literally made me want to gouge my eyes out. I didn't watch one single video but this back and forth battle was f***ing retarded. Who gives a damn what the guy does? No one cares. He's just another youtube magician. If you want to start another fight, look up Zach Sechrist on youtube. Have fun.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results