I Thought This Was a Magic Forum

So I made a post entitled "Impromptu No Prop Stage Illusions" 2 inspire some creativity, collaberate, maybe make some new friends, etc. But not a single positive, contributing response. Instead, just several posts criticizing how I wrote it, mainly saying bad grammer just cause I shorten some of my words. If I wanted my text 2 be critiqued, I wouldve gone 2 an English Grammer forum. I just simply do what I gaurantee everyone here who has a phone & texts does, I shorten some words. So do the people u r texting say- "Oh, I cant take you seriously because you cant spell out each and every word correctly."? But the grammer is good. If u read ANY of my posts out loud, it wouldnt sound at all like bad grammer. I mean, y so many haters? Its just totally uncalled 4 to bash on someone who has never done the same 2 anyone, or never would. Someone even said "This isnt MSN" Really? So we dont post "messages" here, on this "message board"? I thaught this was supposed to be a site 2 expand the art of magic, not bash on people 4 reasons that dont even have anything 2 do with magic. Either way, u can thank those guys who totally offended me 4 making me decide 2 not post here anymore.Peace.

Sep 1, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Man don't leave because of this. I know some people take things a little too seriously around here but if you stay you'll find out how great this place really is. Its true. I can read your posts without any trouble. I dont know why other users arent able to understand? But give it another shot.

C

Cardmaster211

Yeah!

That makes me mad too like that wasn't even the topic!

Apr 5, 2009
Illinois
On SPELLING & GRAMMAR:
Being a forum, it’s highly important that you make each thread/post readable and grammatically correct. We pride ourselves on the fact that over 47% of our users are literate.
Some examples of what NOT to post:
// “COOL NeW Trik!!! __ Chex ITS OuT!!”
// “Doo u tink u can hlp me on dis dbl lft junk??! lemme kno…. k”

that is a direct quote copy and paste from the forum rules. its a stickied thread. check it out. typically reading the rules helps before whining :D

why not just copy stuff into word. we dont ask for perfection just an attempt at decency.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
Dude I know how annoying it is. I left a site just like you're about to do. Magichat.co.uk are the grammar nazis of the world. I had to leave. Those people are vicious. I will never go to that site again. Theyre mean to everyone. So I know how it is. :(

May 31, 2008
It's cool that you wanted to bounce around some ideas, and it's not cool that the other guys bashed you on your grammar without offering anything to the discussion. Even so, it would be nice if you could use full words, and no numbers, just as a courtesy to other members, to make your posts a little bit easier to read so others can easily contribute. I hope you stick around since you clearly have a genuine interest in magic.

Also:

On SPELLING & GRAMMAR:
Being a forum, it’s highly important that you make each thread/post readable and grammatically correct. We pride ourselves on the fact that over 47% of our users are literate.
Some examples of what NOT to post:
// “COOL NeW Trik!!! __ Chex ITS OuT!!”
// “Doo u tink u can hlp me on dis dbl lft junk??! lemme kno…. k”

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Great, another rant. Just wondering, but is it really that hard to type in correct grammar?

-G

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
So I made a post entitled "Impromptu No Prop Stage Illusions" 2 inspire some creativity, collaberate, maybe make some new friends, etc. But not a single positive, contributing response. Instead, just several posts criticizing how I wrote it, mainly saying bad grammer just cause I shorten some of my words. If I wanted my text 2 be critiqued, I wouldve gone 2 an English Grammer forum. I just simply do what I gaurantee everyone here who has a phone & texts does, I shorten some words. So do the people u r texting say- "Oh, I cant take you seriously because you cant spell out each and every word correctly."? But the grammer is good. If u read ANY of my posts out loud, it wouldnt sound at all like bad grammer. I mean, y so many haters? Its just totally uncalled 4 to bash on someone who has never done the same 2 anyone, or never would. Someone even said "This isnt MSN" Really? So we dont post "messages" here, on this "message board"? I thaught this was supposed to be a site 2 expand the art of magic, not bash on people 4 reasons that dont even have anything 2 do with magic. Either way, u can thank those guys who totally offended me 4 making me decide 2 not post here anymore.Peace.

I am not intending to be rude...

but you are from EUA? if so...why a lot of people here posts with decent grammar when their native language is not english? I mean...I am from mexico and I understand than in order to get my point taken, the message must be clear...

to improve your grammar is something very important for your life...we don`t demand that you have an excelent grammar...but at least double check the post before you submit it...I do that to prevent mistakes and misunderstandings...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
Great, another rant. Just wondering, but is it really that hard to type in correct grammar?

-G

Dude really? We're trying to get the guy to stay and here you go adding fuel to the fire. No it's not hard to type in correct grammar but jeez. If someone has an interest in magic it shouldn't be inhibited by language, granted it would be easier to understand for the lot of you if it was perfect speech. I looked up to Draven a bit but after what he said to Moore Majik I do not any longer. It was uncalled for.

Dude relax. You don't need to go open up a new thread complaining about how you got treated.

Call it tough love, but these people have a point. We're just trying to help you here believe it or not. Seriously, threatening to leave because you got a little negative feedback? Come on. Hell by that logic I should have given up magic after the expert village fiasco. Put your big boy pants on and get back to the table. We're dying to read something you can contribute to our community.

You stand to lose more by leaving than by staying. But if you are going to stay, then I expect you to follow the same rules of the playground the rest of us try to. We're not grammar nazi's, but we're not about to type incoherently either.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
I don't know whether you noticed this, but these days, there are so many people saying negative stuff about T11 that it is ridiculous. I didn't even say anything that was directly aimed at him. Calm down.

-G

Apr 24, 2010
I think think that we are both in the wrong here.

moormagic broke the forum rules and then went into a rant about how mean we all were for telling him. moormagic, get a grip. It was you who broke the rules, and I find it especially annoying that you continue to talk in weird text language.

However, it was our fault that we didnt address his post. For that Im sorry. We could have just mentioned it and then talked about impromptu stage magic.

So dont get angry at me, I just am trying to see both sides of an issue.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I personally just find it annoying to read. It makes one sound as if they are in grade school or something. I know some of my students that I teach (who are in high school) write like that. They don't seem to realize that this is not the place to write like you text. The same goes for this forum. It's much easier to read when you type everything out correctly and use proper grammar. Hell, you will also get more respect and better answers/solutions. As others have stated, not trying to offend you any more than you already have been, but wanted to let you know my opinion.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Dude I know how annoying it is. I left a site just like you're about to do. Magichat.co.uk are the grammar nazis of the world. I had to leave. Those people are vicious. I will never go to that site again. Theyre* mean to everyone. So I know how it is. :(
*They're
You need an apostrophe in an abbreviation ;)

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
*They're
You need an apostrophe in an abbreviation ;)

Genius! This genuinely made me laugh! However I am inclined to agree with those who are saying that one should write with proper spelling and grammar to the best of their ability. MoorMagic - you have been told. This is not msn, because when you are on msn you are addressing people you know personally, and who probably understand that you are a... challenged individual who probably knows how to write properly but still refuses to for his/her own deluded or confused reasons. If you literally do not know how to write/spell properly then you have my greatest sympathy and sincere apology. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to get through life without being able to read or write.
However I doubt this is the case. The way you write is simply lazy and pointless. Get your act together.

No one ever tells me about my terrible typing habits!

But in a more positive note... why doesnt everyone just start over in a peaceful friendly way? here i will start!!

Hello my name is William M. I put the M. because there are more then 1 Williams in the forums.. these people can be very helpful to magic and if they give you a lot of crap that is because its the internet there is a lot of crap on it! :p~

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
No one ever tells me about my terrible typing habits!

But in a more positive note... why doesnt* everyone just start over in a peaceful friendly way? here i will start!!

Hello my name is William M. I put the M. because there are more then 1 Williams in the forums.. these people can be very helpful to magic and if they give you a lot of crap that is because its the internet there is a lot of crap on it! :p~
*Doesn't
You need an apostrophe too. Also, you should always capitalise the word 'I' - you don't want to make yourself seem less important than you are!

I can keep adding apostrophes all day, if I need to ;)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results