How many tricks should you learn?

Jan 16, 2008
My sincerest thanks to Jamie; your post is so concise and to-the-point and helpful that I would have paid for that advice =) Keep on sharing!

@Elite Prestidigitation
If you really think that the only aspects of magic that you have to care about is time limit and number of sleights, then congratulations, you have missed the core value of magic. Go on, boost your own ego and perform 500 sleights in 2 minutes. Bust your knuckles for all I care. But in that amount of time, I will connect with ONE of my spectators emotionally with ONE single effect, while your audience will be mildly amused and temporarily entertained by the move monkey that you are.

Aug 4, 2010
@Randomwrath

Are you implying that "memorizing" a script is that hard???......Also you fail to realize that I do not allow failure.... so no... there were no fallacies in my post.... thank you very much.

@oldavid1

You failed to realize that Not only can I bust 500 sleights in 2 minutes but I can do it with grace...I radiate confidence and charisma in everything I do....You are also under the assumption that I like to Show Off™ my skill with cards to the spectators ....well I do... but I do it in the medium of card tricks...I only Show Off™ to other card handlers....Anyways a basic presentation is by far better than scripted presentations full of lame magicians clichés and lies...

Last edited by a moderator:
May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
@Randomwrath

Are you implying that "memorizing" a script is that hard???......Also you fail to realize that I do not allow failure.... so no... there were no fallacies in my post.... thank you very much.

Memorising a script for me personally is not that difficult, no, though I know that others may disagree with that. However writing a script is the difficult bit. There's more to it than saying 'And your card appears on top,' or 'And if I snap my fingers...' Go and watch a video of Derren Brown performing, then a youtube video of an acr (not to music, that is). Both have 'scripts' or 'patter', but nobody could argue that the youtube magician's 'Now your card goes in the middle...' can compare to the subtle nuances and well planned presentation of Mr Brown. And that is what (I believe) you should be aiming for with every trick. Sadly that is also what can't be written in five minutes, or by knowing hundreds of sleights.

Incidentally, in regards to the following:
Also you fail to realize that I do not allow failure.
Could you please elaborate on what you class as a failure? Is it when a spectator catches you out? Is it when it works perfectly but they have merely seen a 'trick' as opposed to 'magic'? What is your definition? I'm genuinely curious here, I'm not trying to disprove your point or catch you out or anything with this question.

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
Tooooo funny.

I should clarify, however, that "9" is the number of tricks you need, in my opinion, to go work a walk-around gig. Lord knows, I've learned gajillions of effects overall, and still continue to do so. That's part of the fun. This is just the number that should be 100% flawless, and that will enable you to work an event.

Dec 26, 2009
Jamie, how about that list on what effects you would perform? I would also like to see a list of chest level effects because most of the magic I do is table magic, and I strongly dislike sitting down to do magic.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Sitting down, joining the guests and performing was a style from the past that is still useful in some situations today, however a lot of strolling performers simply do not have the time to hit all of their tables if they sit and stay too long. If it is a private party and the guests are seating around you...then I feel it is o.k.

Be very careful with "chest" level effects when your spectators are sitting at a table. Their eye level is beneath your chest level and so you need to know that anything / sleights you may be performing, ie. Asher Twist, will flash and they will see what is happening. I'm speaking from experience so I know...ha ha.

My strolling effects vary greatly for each set, however, within my 3 sets of 3, they are similar in that they mirror each other. See below.

Example:
Set A (kept in Right side pocket of coat) all items returned there after using
1.) Mismade Bill
2.) Biddle
3.) Wiregram

Set B (kept in Left side pocket of coat) all items returned there after using
1.) Spongeballs
2.) Sloppy Triumph
3.) Kostya's Warning

You will see that each table is getting to see: An Opener that is very visual (non card effects), then a card effect, and then something with Fire / Flash paper at the end. Now, by no means is this set in stone but this is how I will construct a lot of my sets for strolling.

I will also have on me 3 other effects (usually non reset effects) if they are needed in a situation if a celebrity or someone of importance is viewing or a big crowd has formed and it is almost time to leave. Ex. Fraud

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
ive been scripting and rescripting this set list for about a month now, and finally put some last tweeks into after some of Jamie's posts.
Set Onepatter about power of suggestion, perception and altering your reality.
Portal/Biddle-(i present them as one effect, one quick then slowed down and explained) power of suggestion to make you think your card is here, when its actually there
CMH- talk about reality being manipulated, to allow the bands to pass through
Coin Bend- Talk about more concrete reality warping. Coin bending in their hand

now depending on reactions, setting and time i might end the set there, otherwise end with
Torn-either with a card or a business card

Set Twolocation, location, location
Coin routine-begins with flash paper production, change into metal sharpie, do coin and pen routine, hand sharpie to be held and end on jumbo coin
Criterion-Multiple selections found, involves the audience and the sharpie is already out in the spec's hands
ACR-using one of the selections, do a routine, two regular phases, then Clipshift, Then Shifty, then Card to Mouth, then warp reality again saying card was never in there, Card to Pocket, misdirection for 51 card ditch. "deck vanish" one card left, their card.

Set ThreeThings MOVE
talk about a tip i recieved introduce bill Greed
Triumph- i use either sloppy shuffle triumph or Guy Hollingworths. Depending on the audience i dont do the sybil variation, looks more skill oriented than magic
Doc Dayley's last trick/Be honest what is it- i present this as one effect as well, repeating the same idea in "their mind"
French Kiss-just a killer closer and leave them with a souvenir

Extras - stuff i do at the end of a gig or sometimes sprinkle throughout for time. Also what i sometimes do for a host to get a gig
Stigmata
Ishkabibble Sandwich
Five Speed
Stairway debating on this one.. i have all the props with me anyway and it is strong

If the opportunity presents itself these are a few effects i dont routine in and prefer to use if the moment is there
Pressure- obviously if a phone is out, or being used while im performing i do it. Seems so off the cuff and organic and if you leave it in the balloon it serves as a souvenir and a way to prevent further texting during your performance haha
Ring routine- a mixture of several ring routines, sometimes involving a rubber band, depends on how its playing. I also occasionally carry Gaeton Bloom's ring flight and use that if i have the foresight to load the wallet on a spectator and see a workable ring

thats my set list as it is now. Im still playing with it and re-working it . Love to hear your thoughts. Again a lot of the important parts, like the patter and the story aren't there but it flows well together.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i spend the bulk of my time in a week working on new effects or adaptations to old effects. However i reserve at Least 2 hours a week to refresh and re-work my standing routine, making sure all sleights are polished and trying out new patter or orders. Also whenever im not doing dedicated practice in my down time i find myself practicing both new material and old.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
I have two routines that I can do in my sleep that I don't need to practice anymore. I don't consider that I have anything "down" until I can do it without thinking.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
Well since I started College I haven't had a lot of time to devote to practicing but I still do, everyday.

I practice before I go out the door to go to school, right before I hit the sack, and on the weekends.

Maybe a total of 23 +/- hours a week.

Jamie what is your set list for a show?

Apr 14, 2011
First off, I completely agree. I have 3 sets of 3, and 3 simple but powerful effects if they want to see more. After that I say I need to leave.

I know many more but these are the ones I know so well 'I could do them in my sleep'

The Elite guy: please, post a video of your amazing skills *sarcasm*

Jun 10, 2010
First off, I completely agree. I have 3 sets of 3 and 3 simple bout powerful effects if they want to see more. After that I say I need to leave.

I know many more but these are the ones I know so well 'I could do them in my sleep'

The Elite guy: please, post a video of your amazing skills *sarcasm*

First off, this thread was old as hell. No need to dig it up just to say you concur with everyone else.

Second off, "The Elite guy" has been banned for months. I suspect you only read his quote at the top of the page, quoted by UM93, or else you'd have seen that he's banned under his name.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results