Unofficial theory11 Must Read List

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
What's up guys, lately i have really started to understand the importance of books. I just ordered some i wish i would have started off with.

I found it's hard to know what what to read, there so much information out there.

So i wanted to start this thread so that everyone can come in and suggest books.
Not just books that you say "eh, its good if you are a move monkey, or if your bored" but books that EVERYONE must read.

Here are the must read books, and explanations of why they are must read.
(Explanations by the theory11 members)

Art of Astonishment by Paul Harris

Mat La Vore says-
Art of Astonishment offers, in its very first few pages, a short essay written by Paul Harris that changed not only my life, but the lives of many, many magicians around the world. The short yet effective four-page essay on how astonishment is our natural state of mind has been paraphrased and quoted by magicians such as Derren Brown and David Blaine, and with good reason--Paul's position on the role of magic and the magician is radical as it outlines how the art of magic, at its best, transcends tricks and puzzles and becomes something truly inspirational and meaningful.

As far as the magic goes, AoA boasts a whopping 222 totally out-of-the box effects using everything from playing cards and coins to leaves and silly putty that is sure to get your own creative juices boiling. The magic Paul creates--both in plot and method--are just so different than anything else to which you've you've most likely ever been exposed. Many of the effects presented have become modern classics, and many of them have been performed on television by magicians like David Copperfield, David Blaine, and Cyril Takayama. And it's all wrapped up in Paul's unique and always entertaining writing style that will literally make you chuckle outloud to yourself as you read through what have become some of the most enjoyable and influential books in magic today.

The Golden Rule of Schmoozing By Aye Jaye

William Draven says -
The art of entertainment is an art that puts you in contact with a lot of different people. Sometimes you'll see these people again, other times you won't. Anyway it goes, what you say and do while you are with them can leave lasting impressions. Author, Magician, and Clown Aye Jaye is a master at schmoozing, and he'll teach you everything you need to know to be successful at being a people person. People will always go that extra mile for a friend, upgrade travel accommodation, comped meals, premium services, all possible with just the right schmooze! Some of the tricks I've gleamed from this book has brought me repeat bookings because my clients adore me! Who wouldn't want to hire a friend?

This book has a forward written by Penn Jillette of Penn & Teller, and an audio book is available read by Penn too.

Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz
Jok3r says
What an incredible book! If you are serious at all about being a good performer, you need this book.
This is mainly for close up magic, but it was principles that can be used in all kinds of magic.
Darwin Ortiz explains pacing, timing, how to set up routines, and that's just a few things in the book.

An Actor Prepares by Constanin Stanislavski

Steerpike says
Magicians love to say that we're all actors playing the part of a conjurer. Yet disappointingly few magicians know how to act. How can you expect to sell me on an effect when you're all stiff and weird? Or chewing the scenery like a goat with an oral fixation? This is the standard introductory text on acting and is still one of the best resources. If you want to make it as a performer selling audiences on the impossible, you have to be able act the part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 25, 2009
Yorktown, VA
What's up guys, lately i have really started to understand the importance of books. I just ordered some i wish i would have started off with.

I found it's hard to know what what to read, there so much information out there.

So i wanted to start this thread so that everyone can come in and suggest books.
Not just books that you say "eh, its good if you are a move monkey, or if your bored" but books that EVERYONE must read.

I will start with two books

Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz
Stars of magic by George Starke, Meir Yedid, and George Karger

I will go back and post what you guys suggest on the first post so people do have to go searching for books.
What do you guys think? good idea? bad idea? just plain stupid idea?

The Tarbell Series
The Apocalypse Series
Fitzkee Trilogy...

I think I could add on to this one forever, but I will just kick it with those three for now...

May 2, 2010
New York, New York
Here is just a few...

Close up Card Magic/Harry Loryane
Revelations/Dai Vernon
RCT/Marlo
The Art of the Bottom Deal/Maze
CardShark/Ortiz
The Card Magic of Nick Trost
Discoveries of Witch Craft/ Regenald Scott
Magician and the Card Sharp/ Karl Johnson. Its the tale of Vernon and Miller in the quest of the Kennedy center deal

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
I'll second Absolute Magic (and would strongly recommend Pure Effect too) by Mr Brown. If you only get one book again, save for it and make it this one. Really.

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
At some point...

TEATCT (The Expert at the Card Table) by S.W. Erdnase
13 Steps to Mentalism (if you're into that stuff) by I don't remember
Card College by Roberto Giobbi (if you're really into cards)

Thats all I got right now... I know I'm forgetting something..

Rupayan

Aug 17, 2010
Designing Miracles by Darwin Ortiz
the Dai Vernon Book of Magic by Lewis Ganson
David Roth's Expert Coin Magic by Richard Kaufman
Coinmagic by Richard Kaufman
John Carney's Carneycopia by Stephen Minch

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
Hahaahahaha. I love how there's a lot of recommendations for card magic books, as if card magic is the most important strand.

-5 Points Of Magic, Juan Tamariz
-Absolute Magic, Derren Brown

Just soak up those 2, and even if you only know how to do a double lift, you will kill.

That's why i made this thread, because most people just know of card books.
i forgot to explain that in the first post, tho we still don't want to leave cad stuff out

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
i want to separate them into categories, like cards, theory, etc. Im just not sure exactly what falls in which categories. I will have to do research on each book.
Any suggestion on how to categorize them

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results