Tips Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
1. Slow down.
2. stop with swing cuts.
3. Relax and enjoy the moment.
4. You need to think about what you are going to say before you say it. All the "OK's" get's kind of annoying.
5. learn to simply overhand shuffle the deck maybe twice..
6. Don't call attention to something that nobody is paying attention to.

Sep 1, 2007
Guys, please remain on topic, on track, and civil and respectful when giving criticism to others. Makes everyone happier! :)

Casey, I appreciate what you're trying to do, but realistically this can't last. Thus far, towtox has a track record of posting all these videos, asking for advice, and then wiping his ass with all criticsm he's ever received. It's Lamont McGee all over again. People started out trying to help that kid, myself included. After a while, even your fellow moderators had enough and banned him.

I say we drop the pretenses, get right down to brass tacks and give this towtox kid the critical beating he so desperately needs. If he doesn't take it and continues to act like a brat without improving and just continuing to pimp his videos for attention, then you can eject him guilt free and save yourself and the rest of us the slow burn of a headache that will gradually build up.

Think about it. There are two ways this can end. Why not just streamline the process?

Aug 6, 2009
Let's be happy everyone!! Yaayyy!!!! Unicorn's and rainbow's are so wonderful and makes everybody happy!!! Yaaaaa!!!!!

~Andrew

Jun 10, 2010
Let's be happy everyone!! Yaayyy!!!! Unicorn's and rainbow's are so wonderful and makes everybody happy!!! Yaaaaa!!!!!

~Andrew

I am about to say two words that will change your life.

Double. Rainbow.

I said it. Your life is changed forever. If the #42 didn't exist, Double Rainbow would be the meaning of the universe.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Casey, I appreciate what you're trying to do, but realistically this can't last. Thus far, towtox has a track record of posting all these videos, asking for advice, and then wiping his ass with all criticsm he's ever received. It's Lamont McGee all over again. People started out trying to help that kid, myself included. After a while, even your fellow moderators had enough and banned him.

I say we drop the pretenses, get right down to brass tacks and give this towtox kid the critical beating he so desperately needs. If he doesn't take it and continues to act like a brat without improving and just continuing to pimp his videos for attention, then you can eject him guilt free and save yourself and the rest of us the slow burn of a headache that will gradually build up.

Think about it. There are two ways this can end. Why not just streamline the process?

Well as a community and to strive as a family we need to at least be respectful towards each other. I know this is a cliche but if you treat others with respect it's likely to come around back to you. Even if you don't care what other people think about you, whether it be a bad way in this case, whatever you say will travel through one ear and out the other. If you want others to listen to you, you have to be polite, respectful, and courteous. Whether it pains you inside to do it, what you say will be worthwhile to the receiver of the advice and to yourself as well; you feel glad that this person took your advice.

As for Andrew, a double rainbow is better. All. The. Way!!!!

-Casey

Aug 6, 2009
Well it seems I am mistaken, a double rainbow IS better all the way!

My life is officially changed. Thank you Saborfang and Casey. Thank you.

~Andrew

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Well as a community and to strive as a family we need to at least be respectful towards each other. I know this is a cliche but if you treat others with respect it's likely to come around back to you. Even if you don't care what other people think about you, whether it be a bad way in this case, whatever you say will travel through one ear and out the other. If you want others to listen to you, you have to be polite, respectful, and courteous. Whether it pains you inside to do it, what you say will be worthwhile to the receiver of the advice and to yourself as well; you feel glad that this person took your advice.
-Casey

While this applies for actual subcultures and communities, it definitely cannot be applied to an internet forum.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
While this applies for actual subcultures and communities, it definitely cannot be applied to an internet forum.

It can be if people want to take the initiative and make it an even better community. This week and last week has been a wake up call and I think if people started acting more professional and courteous it would keep members more active. I know a few members who have stopped coming here because of what has been happening recently and it's sad to see some go. It's just what people here make of it. I'm just suggesting what I think should be followed through.

Oct 23, 2007
This kid makes two threads a day about the same thing can you give him a 24 hour ban that would be a swell as a double rainbow.

Jun 10, 2010

As for Andrew, a double rainbow is better. All. The. Way!!!!

-Casey

This post reeks of personality change due to moderitis. Double rainbows and the community speech. LOL.

Sep 1, 2007
Well as a community and to strive as a family we need to at least be respectful towards each other.

But... we're not family. You know me as nothing but text on a computer screen. The same is true of me to you as well. There is not a living soul on this board who has met me face-to-face. Only a few people here even know what I look like. A handful of people know my name, and even fewer than that know my real name.

When you get right down to it, online I am a depersonalized "it." I have no face, and no name outside of my screenname. I have no voice beyond what people imagine it to sound like, and as far as most are concerned, my very existence begins and ends online. Hell, for all you know I'm not even a real person. Given how little you know about me, it's not impossible from your perspective that I could be a fake identity created by some troll looking to get a rise out of you.

Personally I find that liberating. But it does however mean that we are not family. I am as dehumanized here as the rest of you.

I know this is a cliche but if you treat others with respect it's likely to come around back to you. Even if you don't care what other people think about you, whether it be a bad way in this case, whatever you say will travel through one ear and out the other. If you want others to listen to you, you have to be polite, respectful, and courteous. Whether it pains you inside to do it, what you say will be worthwhile to the receiver of the advice and to yourself as well; you feel glad that this person took your advice.

John Ford was the nicest guy in Hollywood, but he didn't show it on set. He was tough with people because he had to be. He actually got into fist fights with his actors if they had tantrums. But actors loved working with Ford because he got **** done.

I can smile through my teeth when I need to. When it's useful to me to do so. But I don't appreciate being told that I have to excuse bull**** from others for the sake of an imagined peace.

It can be if people want to take the initiative and make it an even better community. This week and last week has been a wake up call and I think if people started acting more professional and courteous it would keep members more active.

Sounds more to me like the inevitable backlash of trying to be happy all the time. Nobody can be one emotion all the time. A lot of the backlash comes from interacting with people who don't wish to participate in the status quo. Whether that be individuals like myself who see the unwritten rules of niceness as a hindrance to real discussion, or wannabes who exploit your helpfulness to whore for attention and validation, the community is going to lash out with all the repressed aggression at someone.

Mar 28, 2010
Maryland
towtox

I noticed in the video (like many others did) how uncomfortable and stiff your hands were. I would recommend (once again like someone else did) to look up on how to hold the deck. When I first started out I took about a week doing nothing but holding the deck in mechanics grip which helped me get comfortable with a deck of cards. I also noticed how to riffled the deck a lot, this can be very distracting to an audience. Although I'm not much of a card guy anymore I still find Aaron Fisher's stuff very useful and would strongly recommend it for you. I believe he has a free video on the double lift which alone gave me a TON of tips, not only on the double lift but card magic in general.

Thanks

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Steer, I think you know what I'm saying. I'm using the term "family" to stand for us magicians. You are right, no one can be happy all the time. However, once one person decides to throw a tantrum on a public forum there will be other users who follow up that anger and post hateful things. It's again like a disease, it spreads through to other members and eventually it gets too out of hand. Some people here can't take constructive criticism even if they ask for it, others can. Some people can carry throughout a discussion without getting angry, others can't. We are all human, we all make mistakes. It never hurts to at least TRY to carry out a more positive attitude once in a while. In the end it'll do the community more good than harm.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
towtox

I noticed in the video (like many others did) how uncomfortable and stiff your hands were. I would recommend (once again like someone else did) to look up on how to hold the deck. When I first started out I took about a week doing nothing but holding the deck in mechanics grip which helped me get comfortable with a deck of cards. I also noticed how to riffled the deck a lot, this can be very distracting to an audience. Although I'm not much of a card guy anymore I still find Aaron Fisher's stuff very useful and would strongly recommend it for you. I believe he has a free video on the double lift which alone gave me a TON of tips, not only on the double lift but card magic in general.

Thanks

Towtox, to work on holding the deck naturally, pick up Card College Volume 1 immediately and study up. Best 35 bucks you will ever spend if you are serious about your card magic.

-Casey

towtox

Banned
Sep 4, 2010
Calgary Ab
casey i dont have money i got paper engine and pocket erdanase i will wait till xmas when i get card college series i am serious but i have a better book rct(revolutionary card technice) sorry fo the typo its by ed marlo best 70$ i ever spent it has palms atuff like that its really great magic i read one trick a night from every book except rrtcm cause iv read it word for word when i got it just skipped one section flourishes and also i watch complete card magic and alot of E dvds cause t11 i dont think has dvd correct me if im wrong

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
casey i dont have money i got paper engine and pocket erdanase i will wait till xmas when i get card college series i am serious but i have a better book rct(revolutionary card technice) sorry fo the typo its by ed marlo best 70$ i ever spent it has palms atuff like that its really great magic i read one trick a night from every book except rrtcm cause iv read it word for word when i got it just skipped one section flourishes and also i watch complete card magic and alot of E dvds cause t11 i dont think has dvd correct me if im wrong

Revolutionary Card Technique has quite difficult stuff for someone who just got into magic. Card College is acclaimed the best beginning card magic book next to Royal Road. You can never go wrong with Card College, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results