Saturday Night Contest - New Year's Resolutions

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys! Because of the New Year, we’ve all had some time to think about what we want to accomplish in 2011. We want to know what your goals are for the coming year. Something specific. Something you can and will achieve.

We are doing this contest in two parts. The first part is to make a goal you want to achieve THIS WEEK - and write it down in this thread. The first part to this contest will end exactly a week from now, January 15. Next Saturday, you will post your results in either text or video form. For example, if your goal this week is to learn the Sybil Cut, then next week you can post a video showing what you've learned and your success learning the move.

The second part is to make a goal you want to meet THIS YEAR. If your goal this week is to learn Sybil for the first time, perhaps your goal for the year is to make your first cardistry performance video.

Another long term example is getting your first restaurant gig. People that have experience with getting gigs can give you advice to help you get the job. Maybe your goal is to perform for real spectators at least once every single day this coming year. What is your goal? What do you want to accomplish this year?

- PART ONE :: What do you want to accomplish this week?
- PART TWO :: What do you want to accomplish this year?

So tonight, post your two goals - something to achieve this week, and something to achieve this year. Two parts. Tell us by way of a response in text to this forum thread tonight, or even a video explaining your goals and how you plan to accomplish them.

You have until next Saturday at 11:00pm EST to achieve your first goal. Next Saturday night, we will create a new forum thread calling for your results. Thereafter, our team will gather and award someone who made a goal and achieved it this coming week (with proof). The prize up for grabs? An uncut sheet of S&Mv5 and DeckONE.

The first step in achieving your goals is to figure out exactly what those goals are. Without a map, traveling becomes very difficult. Tonight, with you, we will make that map. What happens next? We'll find out next week.

gio

May 3, 2009
Poland
if i understand correctly we must enter both parts and we have time til next week for both? or i should describe my goal now and do a prof that ive made it? also should it be one goal or more? :)

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
My goal for this week is to master and perfect the coin routine i have been working on for awhile now, that i recently submitted for last weeks SNC. No, flashes, no filler and entertaining and at the end of the week re-film it and submit it. Hopefully having improved and producing a workable, enjoyable and personal routine.

My goal for the year is to perform two small parlour or stage shows at my college, selling tickets for at least one of them, and successfully entertain the crowd, furthering my goal as a working magician.

plan

Goal one is just practice, practice, practice, practice

Goal two, is going to be continuing to make an on campus, print up the flyers i designed last semester, spread the word, get permission from the Cafe, and to set all the other smaller factors in motion to make the shows happen.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
if i understand correctly we must enter both parts and we have time til next week for both? or i should describe my goal now and do a prof that ive made it? also should it be one goal or more? :)

You can set both goals now, and work on the year long goal for the entire year. The week long goal should be completed and posted with proof in THIS thread next Saturday at 11:00PM EST. It can be more than one goal, but for the week it should be just one that you can accomplish.

Dec 2, 2010
part one: practice for getting better height on muscle pass.

part two: build my confidence to perform better and have a better presentation.

Jul 23, 2009
Part 1: show my original effect"stride" to a total stranger
Pt.2: master clip shift

Last edited by a moderator:

gio

May 3, 2009
Poland
ok i will describe my goeal briefly and in here i want to appologize for my english.

PART TWO: For this year i would like to work more on actual working routines, effects and pattern. By this i mean create a small cardistry/magic portfolio by making my small website to have a promotional place in wich somone find me and hire me. This one is releted with my plan on moving to Paris for studies where i would like to work as magician but still learning and if its possible become a student of somone who really knows somthing about magic such us Dominique Duvivier or Bébel. My second goal is www.insomnium.pl wich is polish cardistry and magic secret project and i would like to work on it much this year and if its possible collaborate with t11.

PART ONE:
For this week i would like to start making my first year goal and create my take on 3 classic magic routines. For now on my mind pops Invisible Palm routine, ACR, maybe sandwich routine. I will sellect 3 and make movies of performance. To go further one i will perform in english, one in french and one in polish, is that sounds good?

ok so if You guys have any sugestions/questions let me know :)

peace

May 19, 2010
This week: Learn the L-X quad cut in both hands.
This Year: Create my own effects to fit my style and perform them.

May 7, 2009
My goal for this week is to take an effect from a book/dvd, refine it, and make it fit my style of performance. I feel that when you come up with your own creation/variation, you tend to appreciate it more.

My Long term goal is to change myself as a performer. I dont want to be known as "just a kid doing tricks.' I want to be "a performer." Not just the card trick guy, but the entertainer.

Jan 8, 2011
This week: Get 10 or more people to come to my First show next Saturday
This year: Sell my New Gimmick and produce my first Magic Dvd

Aug 19, 2009
Goal One (for this week): My goal for this week is to take the leap from theory to application - to perform an effect for someone I've never met. Up to this point, I've always performed for someone I knew, even if only a little.

Goal Two (for this year): My goal for this year is a) to create/adapt twelve effects that utilize a different original utility move or sleight that I've created; and b) to show these twelve effects confidently and comfortably to strangers. I believe this will require not only the effects, but also regular "performances" in order to be confident and comfortable - I'll have to apply Goal One weekly! :)

P.S. Good luck to everyone seeking to hone and share their magic this year!

Jun 26, 2010
My Goal for this week is to perfect my nerf-gun card trick and submit it! and make a teaser video for it. My Goal for this year is to learn three fry and perform it very well, with personality, as well as other coin magic, and make a video compilation.

Aug 6, 2008
This going to be my first ever contest entry! I'm very excited! Here are my goals:

Goal 1 (This week)- Since I just got DGP, I am going to learn and master .44

Goal 2 (Entire year)- Is to get hopefully 2 gigs, but have to get at least 1

Goal 1: Create and demonstrate a way to do one phase of an oil and water plot with four cards in one hand, no extra cards or gaffs, and without any sort of card flourish.
Goal 2: Hopefully meet one of my biggest influences, Eric Jones, at a lecture or convention. I would also like to develop a reputation for incredible dinner entertainment in whichever city I attend college.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
My goal for this week would be...

Magic related: I want to get a gig in a restaurant I´ve been watching lately...since it´s new year I wanted to have a new job in magic...but I finally have some time to do it

Life related: I want to get 5 girls number this week...

Magic related Year goal: To finally get myself out there big time and give at least 1 show for 1000 people...

Nov 7, 2009
Paris, France
Goal for this week : Perform Undecided once smoothly.
Goal for this year : Be able to replicate (with my own style) Ben Earl's performance on Penn & Tellers : Fool us

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
My goal for this year would have to be to further my personal magic journal and fill it with my ideas for creating tricks along with possibly taking a few of my ideas and turning them into truly workable tricks.

Goal for this week...not sure yet...poker is starting so I'll come edit my post later!

EDIT: Alright, I've decided my goal for this week - I am going to try to edit my first [magic or cardistry related] video. It will probably somewhat short, maybe one flourish or one effect but I want to make a decent looking video with my new editor....first I need to make a trip to walmart or best buy to find a way to hook up my camera...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results