About yesterday part three.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Is the reply button broken? The saga continues.

On an unrelated note, is there actually anything other than bad robot decks in the mystery box? I'm not particularly fond of the cards but quite like the box and could be swayed to get one if there is the possibility of more than those decks.

Sep 1, 2007
Is the reply button broken? The saga continues.

On an unrelated note, is there actually anything other than bad robot decks in the mystery box? I'm not particularly fond of the cards but quite like the box and could be swayed to get one if there is the possibility of more than those decks.

I haven't read about anyone specifically describing the ins and outs of the box. However, it has been said there is more to the box than the combination and the decks of cards, that there is mystery in the box itself. This could be the reason nobody's talking about it. I'm just not sure how much is built into the box, and/or to what degree.

Jay Adra

Elite Member
Jul 11, 2011
Australia
www.jayadra.com
I was wondering the same thing. I ended up purchasing it though, so when it eventually gets here (ship to Australia), I will investigate and maybe post a "review" of sorts, without any specifics/spoilers, but just a general idea of how much "more" there is to the box.

Sep 1, 2007
I was wondering the same thing. I ended up purchasing it though, so when it eventually gets here (ship to Australia), I will investigate and maybe post a "review" of sorts, without any specifics/spoilers, but just a general idea of how much "more" there is to the box.

That would be awesome, thank you.

The Mystery Box represents such a miscalculation on T11's part. So many things have been done right about it, but so many more were done wrong with how it was marketed, and hyped. I mean you have a company that's successful enough, and has enough resources to start just about any project they could want, it has access to the art direction of J.J. Abrams, AND Bad Robot, and it has access to some of the most brilliant minds in magic including Kenner, Jones, White, Nyman, and Morelli, and the best idea they could come up with is to make a new deck of cards? Come on people.

Apr 17, 2013
The Mystery Box represents such a miscalculation on T11's part. So many things have been done right about it, but so many more were done wrong with how it was marketed, and hyped. I mean you have a company that's successful enough, and has enough resources to start just about any project they could want, it has access to the art direction of J.J. Abrams, AND Bad Robot, and it has access to some of the most brilliant minds in magic including Kenner, Jones, White, Nyman, and Morelli, and the best idea they could come up with is to make a new deck of cards? Come on people.

You know where I stand on the box. We have talked about it and we are on the same page here. What I have come to realize is they are marketing and creating for the core user, young guys who only work/mostly work in cards.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I'm sure Jamie Degrant would love this thing because he seems to really love custom cards, to the point of him even saying that he ONLY uses custom cards when he is at bookings (which is a very stupid idea, but whatever.).

Personally, I think they kind of ruined the "mystery" when they showed that were was a custom deck of cards in the box. I have nothing against custom cards, you just get to a point in your life where you realize that is going to put up huge road blocks in your way when you perform.

The only two "custom" cards I actually like are the Richard Turner Gold Seal cards (though they look exactly like normal bikes and just last 10X longer) and the Lee Asher cards due to how long they last. Those are mainly for practicality reasons.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I'm sure Jamie Degrant would love this thing because he seems to really love custom cards, to the point of him even saying that he ONLY uses custom cards when he is at bookings [bold](which is a very stupid idea, but whatever.). [/bold]

Personally, I think they kind of ruined the "mystery" when they showed that were was a custom deck of cards in the box. I have nothing against custom cards, you just get to a point in your life [bold]where you realize that is going to put up huge road blocks in your way when you perform. [/bold]

The only two "custom" cards I actually like are the Richard Turner Gold Seal cards (though they look exactly like normal bikes and just last 10X longer) and the Lee Asher cards due to how long they last. Those are mainly for practicality reasons.

I'm going to have to straight up disagree with the points I bolded.

I have used custom cards, and only custom cards, in every performance for easily three years. I never, ever have a problem with them. They don't put up any road blocks and if you have the right mentality. Treat them like the normal cards they are, and no one suspects them. Toss in bits like, "I even brought the pretty cards for you guys, because you deserve the best" and you can build more rapport.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using custom decks in performance.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time

I have used custom cards, and only custom cards, in every performance for easily three years. I never, ever have a problem with them. They don't put up any road blocks and if you have the right mentality. Treat them like the normal cards they are, and no one suspects them. Toss in bits like, "I even brought the pretty cards for you guys, because you deserve the best" and you can build more rapport.

Michael Ammar would disagree with you.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
And he is free to do so. But I'm not going to ignore my own experience just because you drop a name.

I have a lot of respect for Ammar, but in this case I believe he's wrong.

I will repeat it: I have used nothing but custom decks for at least three years. I have never, in that time, encountered a problem. That's includes black decks and white decks. The only problem I have ever had with a custom deck was my fault - I did Pass At Red with a Ghost deck and the audience didn't catch the effect, because the central pips of a Ghost deck are all black for all suits. Luckily for me that was at the magic club so it didn't matter that it flopped.

The one, single time I have been asked if I was using a trick deck was a time when I was using red backed bikes.

David Blaine uses his own custom cards for performances. So does Criss Angel. Jamie D. Grant talks about using custom cards for his performances in The Approach. Madison uses his designs. It's not uncommon for people to use custom decks.

Custom cards are not such a rarity in themselves. Look around! Go to Walgreens and they've got like 6 different designs on their rack. WalMart sells anywhere from 2-6 different designs, too. Target. The liquor store. Disneyland. Six Flags. Winchester Mystery House. There are My Little Pony cards and Angry Bird 3D Hologram cards. Do you really think my Dealers are going to stand out? The absolute most I've done to assuage an audience is say something like, "I brought the fancy cards for you guys."

There's only one argument I can agree with when it comes to custom decks - That gaff cards are hard to find for them. Fair enough there. But I don't use any gaffs. When I do card tricks, it's pure sleight of hand. If you want custom gaffs I recommend The Gaff Factory.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
I only use regular decks either Bikes, Tallys or sometimes Bee's. For me its a cost thing. I get through so many decks of cards it becomes impractical for me to keep a large quantity of custom cards stocked compared to keeping a large stock of regular cards.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I only use regular decks either Bikes, Tallys or sometimes Bee's. For me its a cost thing. I get through so many decks of cards it becomes impractical for me to keep a large quantity of custom cards stocked compared to keeping a large stock of regular cards.

That I can also understand. However, I work for a rather large magic company so the employee discount brings those costs into what I consider to be an acceptable range.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx

I agree with you... and we usually disagree..jeje...

I use custom cards because it adds up to my character... they look great and fell great!! and since I don?t do only card tricks, people usually don?t think they are tricked or gimmicked...

Also when I take them out...people know that I mean bussiness...and not only card tricks...since they see me as a proffesional that has invested in his tools...

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
Also when I take them out...people know that I mean bussiness...and not only card tricks...since they see me as a proffesional that has invested in his tools...

I can understand your point as I take a lot of pride in my appearance when I'm performing so as you say people see me as professional, slick and invested in who I am and what I do. Do you think that when a lay person see's a deck of designer cards though, they honestly appreciate/understand what they are, or do they just see them as a deck of cards and nothing more?

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
My money is on nothing more than the cards and the letter. As for there being 'more mystery' to/inside the box, my guess is it's just metaphorical mystery rather than anything physical.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results