Sleight misconception?

Aug 3, 2016
Hi everyone, I think I'm at a odd point in pursuing magic. I rely on sleights to perform all my effects. I don't know of any other moves that would be useful or something. I'm currently looking into gamblers sleights. I'm looking for a sleight to control a known card from top to second without riffle shuffle. Also looking for card controls that don't destroy or damage the card. Bending is acceptable, but no crimps or excessively deforming cards.Lastly I'm wondering how much "control" one can have over the deck. I'm assuming spectators don't touch the cards, confederates are excluded.

Oct 12, 2016
Utah
There are quite a few options, even among basic sleights, for achieving that. A top change can work to switch the position of the top two cards, though only if moving the card is justified. I suppose you could Herman Pass a single card to from bottom to top to achieve this as well. You can set up a double lift that convincingly shows a certain card as being placed on top, while in reality it ends up second, which works in many effects. It really depends on what context you're using it in. There are a lot of sleights out there that achieve similar results through different means, and the context will tell you which one is the right tool for the job.

If you're looking for an introduction to basic card controls, there's wide selection of the basics in Royal Road, Card College, Card Control, and similar books. Jason England has video releases on the Herman Pass and the side steal individually, which I believe are both covered in Royal Road, but perhaps are covered in more depth in his videos. I haven't gotten the tutorials myself, but I know they're available here on Theory11, and Jason England certainly knows his stuff. If you're looking for a move to serve a specific purpose in a routine, it'd be helpful to understand more fully what you're after.

Aug 3, 2016
There are quite a few options, even among basic sleights, for achieving that. A top change can work to switch the position of the top two cards, though only if moving the card is justified. I suppose you could Herman Pass a single card to from bottom to top to achieve this as well. You can set up a double lift that convincingly shows a certain card as being placed on top, while in reality it ends up second, which works in many effects. It really depends on what context you're using it in. There are a lot of sleights out there that achieve similar results through different means, and the context will tell you which one is the right tool for the job.

If you're looking for an introduction to basic card controls, there's wide selection of the basics in Royal Road, Card College, Card Control, and similar books. Jason England has video releases on the Herman Pass and the side steal individually, which I believe are both covered in Royal Road, but perhaps are covered in more depth in his videos. I haven't gotten the tutorials myself, but I know they're available here on Theory11, and Jason England certainly knows his stuff. If you're looking for a move to serve a specific purpose in a routine, it'd be helpful to understand more fully what you're after.

Thanks for the tips I guess I should have been more specific though. I don't feel I'm in any way a beginner, I know the pass but can use the invisible pass as a card control. I learned laser deal(snap deal), tenkai Palm, backhand Palm. What I want to do is a 3 card production, in which I perform a transport and then colour change as a transport back to their original position.

Reactions: Lindel
Oct 12, 2016
Utah
Question. If you're switching the top card and the second, why doesn't a standard top change work? And if you can place any indifferent card on top, then some variation of the pass should do the trick, right? Maybe I'm just not following, but it seems like either a pass or a top change would work just fine.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
You will have to give a better explanation of the routine as the design dictates the method. Christopher's suggestion of a cover pass is perfect for what I understand you are doing. You also can use any standard control to top and do a DL or deal a second. If you can do a pass, simply move the break one card above the selected card upon having it reinserted in the deck. If you are trying to control a selected card and two known cards, have the known cards on top and bottom, the selected card selected from the middle, cut the deck retaining a break, spread, have the selected card inserted at the break, get a break on the card above the selected card and do a pass. Your order is top card, selected card and then bottom card.

Aug 3, 2016
You will have to give a better explanation of the routine as the design dictates the method. Christopher's suggestion of a cover pass is perfect for what I understand you are doing. You also can use any standard control to top and do a DL or deal a second. If you can do a pass, simply move the break one card above the selected card upon having it reinserted in the deck. If you are trying to control a selected card and two known cards, have the known cards on top and bottom, the selected card selected from the middle, cut the deck retaining a break, spread, have the selected card inserted at the break, get a break on the card above the selected card and do a pass. Your order is top card, selected card and then bottom card.

What I Am trying to do is this: doing a series of 3 different colour changes like say shape shifter, paintbrush, etc. The problem is I want to do snap change, but obviously it's not possible unless the known card is second from the top, I do an ace production, but then I put aces back on top, what I want to do is take the ace which is separate, then I want to do snap change

Dec 5, 2016
Tennessee
tjfritts.com
Interesting sequence for which I have a goofy question. Could you have a card hidden in a pocket, palm it and drop it on top? If you could "explain away" going to the pocket such as to get a hankerchief to swab your forehead or even just to check your phone, that might be one way to add a card without doing a series of cuts for no apparent reason.

Aug 3, 2016
Interesting sequence for which I have a goofy question. Could you have a card hidden in a pocket, palm it and drop it on top? If you could "explain away" going to the pocket such as to get a hankerchief to swab your forehead or even just to check your phone, that might be one way to add a card without doing a series of cuts for no apparent reason.

I would say no; losing the spectators attention is a huge rookie mistake. Not paying attention to your own trick is conveyed to your spectators as well.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
What I Am trying to do is this: doing a series of 3 different colour changes like say shape shifter, paintbrush, etc. The problem is I want to do snap change, but obviously it's not possible unless the known card is second from the top, I do an ace production, but then I put aces back on top, what I want to do is take the ace which is separate, then I want to do snap change

OK, I'm still not getting it. What is your starting point how the deck is set up and then what happens during each phase? What cards are you changing into what cards?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results