Do you have tipps for stand up magic?

Mar 27, 2016
Hey my name is Valentin. I ve done close up magic for quite a long time. But i have almost no expierience in stand up magic. Do you have same tipps and tricks for my?
P.S Sorry if my english is not perfect i am from Switzerland.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
That is parlor.

My first recommendation is the book Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber.

Performing for parlor isn't that much different than doing strolling, really. The biggest difference is that you need to make everything a little bigger. You have to remember that people may be 30 feet away, so they won't be able to see the face of a standard playing card, for example.

And when I say "make it bigger" I don't mean only that the props have to be bigger. Watch Eric Mead perform - he's an excellent example of how one can take a smaller prop and make it play to larger audiences. This video has some good examples of that:
- particularly his performance of the Invisible Deck at the end.

You're also going to want to learn either really good voice projection, or how to use a sound system properly.

Make sure you have a well thought out script that flows nicely. By flow, I mean that the procession of of the show should logically make sense to people (i.e. none of the "And for my next trick..." type of stuff). Spend as much time as you can with your script. Revise it dozens of times if you have to. I would almost recommend spending as much time working on your script than practicing the effects themselves. It is my belief that a script can make or break a good stage/parlor show. Anyways, best of luck to you!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Watch Eric Mead perform - he's an excellent example of how one can take a smaller prop and make it play to larger audiences.

That was an amazing performance. I just love the use of the ID to do what looks like a Triumph routine using a martini shaker. That is the sort of thinking that takes a trick and makes it a presentation piece.

Hey my name is Valentin. I ve done close up magic for quite a long time. But i have almost no expierience in stand up magic.

Roberto Giobbi has a great book Stand Up Card Magic. There also are some great card routines in Guy Hollingsworth's Drawing Room Deceptions. Beyond that, look into the classics, Linking Rings, Cups & Balls, Professor's Nightmare (or Fiber Optics), Zombie Ball, etc. You also can find anything you ever need if you get a subscription to Genii because you get access to the 75+ years of old issues.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
That was an amazing performance. I just love the use of the ID to do what looks like a Triumph routine using a martini shaker. That is the sort of thinking that takes a trick and makes it a presentation piece.

That's one of my favorite performances I've seen on video. The ending is perfect. I've wanted to create my own version as a chop cup routine for years, but never could nail down something that didn't feel too derivative for my tastes.

Aug 15, 2017
Hey my name is Valentin. I ve done close up magic for quite a long time. But i have almost no expierience in stand up magic. Do you have same tipps and tricks for my?
P.S Sorry if my english is not perfect i am from Switzerland.
Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure...knowledge is power see? Your tricks can literally blow up people or fall flat in their face depending on who your audience is. Knowing your audience and their preference helps.
Also follow the concept of routining to the best of your abilities! Make sure you don't make a hodge-podge of your tricks. Whether all are card tricks or coin tricks, doesn't matter...the patter should connect them. But at the same time, I don't think you should mix up card and coin tricks alternately in a performance or something.
Make your style and performance interesting and energetic! Never lose your audience! And don't be afraid to show yourself as you are! There are so many funny people I know who become all serious and dark when they perform. Looks so fake...Barbie is more natural than those fake personalities! Just be yourself.

Last thing, know your audience is WITH you, not AGAINST you. In a close-up performance, this factor sometimes differs, but in parlor or stage magic, it does not (unless your magic-self is a jerk, which I am sure is not)...so don't get unnecessarily scared, the audience WANTS you too succeed, they don't WANT to boo you. They WANT to cheer and applause for you. So relax...
Viel Glück!
Bonne chance!
Buona fortuna!

Jul 26, 2016
Something that really stuck with me when I read Showmanship For Magicians, by Daniel Fitzkee, years ago. He said that the two things that people are primarily interested in are (1) themselves and (2) other people, and that the wise showmen will tailor his performances with those principles in mind. After that, when I started using audience "volunteers" more frequently in my parlor shows, especially bringing them up on stage, I noticed significantly higher levels of audience interest and reactions. Also, when the performer interacts with the volunteers and even members of the audience at large, they will say and do amusing, funny and entertaining things, which enhances the overall entertainment value of the show. After all, getting people involved in the show fulfills both of the two criteria mentioned above. So I highly recommend doing this - not necessarily for every single routine, but almost...

Reactions: RealityOne
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results