Dangerous Magic

Sep 1, 2007
Hey Guys,

This thread has nothing to do with Daniel Madisons Dangerous, but I'm looking for effects in which the performer appears to be in danger, such as Russian Roulette, I love this presentational hook, but I can't find much material, anyone know of any good routines.

Thanks.
ElisG.

Shattered by Scott Alexander is a really fantastic "dangerous" magic routine: it is basically a roulette routine, but the "object" is a shattered beer bottle that you break in front of the audience. The best part is that the routine truly is completely safe!

Costs a pretty penny, but its worth it.

J.

Sep 1, 2007
To be perfectly honest, I'm not a huge fan of Russian Roulette routines. Mostly because most of the people I see performing them are wankers.

Think about it. There are very few people in the world who are going to be okay with you taking their hand and slamming it down into a paper cup that may or may not have something sharp and pointy underneath.

And of the people that does happen to, 99 times out of 100 they aren't going to see your show again. They won't feel comfortable around you ever again. And I know there's someone out there thinking of replying to that with, "But Alex, I don't want to play it safe! I want to do hardcore stuff that shocks people." To which I say wait until you finish puberty and then get back to me.

There are plenty of magic routines out there that create the illusion of danger without having to resort to viscerally kicking your audience in the face while you attempt to avoid impaling your hand on a steak knife.

Escape artistry is the first thing that springs to my mind, really.

If you must do a Russian Roullette routine, theatricality is the key. What is the motivation? Why the bloody hell are you doing something that on the surface appears so profoundly stupid? Here's an illustration of what I'm talking about:
http://www.elusionist.com/forums/showpost.php?p=733438&postcount=3

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
There's a whole genre of magic called "Geek Magic" which deals with this sort of stuff (like razor blade swallowing, glass eating, etc.). There's also a DVD called Geek Magic by Thomas Medina that teaches you the stuff. I think it's available at Penguin Magic...

Sep 1, 2007
There's a whole genre of magic called "Geek Magic" which deals with this sort of stuff (like razor blade swallowing, glass eating, etc.). There's also a DVD called Geek Magic by Thomas Medina that teaches you the stuff. I think it's available at Penguin Magic...

Yeah I hate geek magic, I don't want anything gross or gruesome, just things where I appear to be in danger, such as instinct.

Dec 22, 2007
do the one where a girl goes in a box and you cut her in two, BUT THEN SHE'S BACK TOGETHER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results