What have you read?

It can be a single sentence, a paragraph, or several! Can be a book, internet page, forum post... Anything, as long it is related to magic.

What have you really learnt from, changed your mind, inspired you, enjoyed, or move you?

I want you to post them here.

Mar 3, 2008
Sweden
"Art is a lie wich make us realize the truth." - Picasso

"Deep into the realms of the unreal my job is to make it all real for me and especially them." - Chad Nelson (I think, it was in his notes so I guess it's from him"

This is some cool things thave I've read.

Mar 29, 2008
http://jamyianswiss.com/fm/works/whymagicsucks.html - this essay and Standards of Deceptions by Swiss will rock your world. Every magician should read them...yearly!

After Ammar talks about the importance of doing a bill change well, he says something in the book Switch while talking about belief in the bill change that goes like this, "In the end, logic might force them to disbelieve their own eyes and ears and say you must have switched bills, but that is pretty cool too. I can hardly expect them to believe in true miracles, so I consider getting them to question their own senses to be a satisfying victory." - I believe a very mature way to look at modern day magic.

and for the "reaction" hungry crowd - I quote a line that really smashed me in the face in 2002...from T11's own Aaron Fisher. He writes in The Paper Engine about seeing Michael Skinner and says this:

"I'd had the good fortune of watching many great card men, but nevr anyone like Skinner. He was so solid. He was solid and he was slow. Michael was slow because he cared enough about the audience not to rush an effect. He never "wrapped it up quickly" only to glance anxiously at the audience for a reaction. Michael was one of the few genuinely secure magicians I have ever met. He wanted you to like his magic, but he didn't need you to."

I have tried my best to be what you just read, since I have read it - it is perhaps one of the kindest things I have ever read from one magician to another and I believe a great lesson to those that do magic for themselves and what they get out of it...rather than what they are giving as an experience to others. Only the utmost confidence in your abilities will allow for that, and the confidence only comes with many years of practice, rehearsal and thinking critically....however, on the journey, you can now have a goal. Be solid, and slow.

Sep 19, 2007
"Book of Secrets" by John Carney,

"Books of Wonder" by Tommy Wonder

Both invaluable works for defining who you are as a magician.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
The following post by Morgician. I thought this was brilliant.

Sinful07 – that was painful to read, honestly. I love how people talk about bombing so casually now...like, yeah, I flashed and they boo’d me...awesome, and the population of those wanting to see a trick diminishes that much more. Don’t worry – I recovered by doing what I said – finding their card.

Before I talk about “magic vs sleight of hand”, I will say, what you are performing may be the issue. I have spoken on this a number of times, getting people to WANT to be fooled and building a reason. What you “said” to recover sounded like...and I can’t believe I am using this term...”mouth garbage”. It made NO sense, and it was you stumbling on giving something meaning, that didn’t have any meaning to begin with. As I will deal with the magic/sleight of hand concept in a second – but the worst thing to do is to slap the spectator for believing one way – “You didn’t think it was real magic” and your out was a visual effect. You feel like you recovered because everyone “freaked” out, but a reaction isn’t the only indicator of your success - this is false. You found their card, but they didn’t experience magic – they experience a successful trick. Keep reading...the rest may help you. (PM me if you have any questions)

To answer your question – I have heard it from both sides. Guys like Johnny Ace Palmer and Jami Ian Swiss both will tell their audiences that they use sleight of hand...I have heard few say they have “real” magic powers – but Uri Geller made a career out of stating he had real powers...he took heat for it though. Personally, I don’t claim it’s real – but I don’t; want to remind them it’s not either. Like a movie, I go to the movies knowing it’s not real, but feel emotion and a connection – we have the ability to communicate two ways, unlike movies – so the experience should be better! Therefore, when I do magic, I let THEM come to terms with what they see – and they realize it doesn’t MATTER if it’s real or fake – it’s an amazing experience. When asked if it’s real magic, I say – yes, but not Peter Pan Disney magic – its magic in the sense of adult imagination. Because magic is real, we are doing it – but it’s not “real” magic...but then again, Hobbits aren’t real either, but Lord of the Rings was a cool flick!

Ammar really put this into terms for me, when I heard him talk. He said, and I paraphrase - To be remembered (enough to be rebooked and be considered great) you either have to display incredible skills...not just skill...INCREDIBLE skill...or you have to do something that is BEYOND skill...that skill doesn’t come to mind with what they witnesses. Which he said ran into Vernon’s – to be remembered do one thing better than ANYONE...so when people talk about it – they say, but have you seen “Your name here” do it?

I have seen many guys go the “skill” route – but as they get older, it’s harder – Vernon performed natural magic late into his life...and I won’t mention the opposite of that to hurt anyone’s feelings, but sometimes focusing on skill can shorten your career. Also, if we call ourselves magicians – and the goal is magic – magic should just happen...it shouldn’t look like flourishes and visual sleights. As seeing the “move”, and believe me...you don’t have to flash to see a move...example, PASSES ARE NOT INVISIBLE! Therefore, seeing a move or being reminded its not magic is like watching a movie and having the boom lower into the shot...or as simple as the movie theatre screen sound being off from the actual lip movement. It reminds you that it is just fantasy, and the fantasy is easily broken.

Therefore, when I do magic – I think it’s insulting to people for me to say – “I have real magic powers” and it’s why I am working table side at this restaurant?? But it’s also insulting to take the fantasy away from them and say – it’s not magic...UNLESS, you are so good that you can tell them it’s sleight of hand...and they don’t believe you, like Palmer and other greats like him get all the time.

For magic to be art, one must not try to make people see it as one way, we must allow them to see it the way they want – like music and lyrics...we often can hear the same song and get something different out of it. This is art – however, we are a living art, and the guides for the experience, but we should not interfere with the audience’s perception, just help them come along for the journey...whatever it may be for them. ..but at ALL times they should see MAGIC.

By the way Morgician, hope you don't mind me posting this here. If you do, just tell me and I'll edit it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 10, 2008
Definetly a passage from Maximum Entertainment:

"Laymen Don't Care.

They Don't care about YOU the entertainer.

They don't care about your sleights or years of practice.

They don't care about your magic awards.

They don't care whether it is OK to mix magic and mentalism.

They don't care whether you use rare, thayer props or cheap rubber chickens.

they don't care if your tricks are original or older than dirt.

They don't care whether you sing, manipulate coins, tell jokes, produce doves, read minds, or play zydeco music.

They cared about themselves. They wanted to have fun. They wanted a special experience. They wanted to be moved, touched in a new way..."

Definetly a passage from Maximum Entertainment:

"Laymen Don't Care.

They Don't care about YOU the entertainer.

They don't care about your sleights or years of practice.

They don't care about your magic awards.

They don't care whether it is OK to mix magic and mentalism.

They don't care whether you use rare, thayer props or cheap rubber chickens.

they don't care if your tricks are original or older than dirt.

They don't care whether you sing, manipulate coins, tell jokes, produce doves, read minds, or play zydeco music.

They cared about themselves. They wanted to have fun. They wanted a special experience. They wanted to be moved, touched in a new way..."

I guess that is true...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results