theory11 : Smoke & Mirrors - Special Edition : Invitation

D

Deleted member 2755

*Sigh* *Taps and waits for an answer*

I've never gotten asked that before. However, if you do get asked, its not a big deal. Just say "Its from the D&D Card company." Don't say Dan and Dave. I mean literally say "D and D" and it will fly passed them.

The D's are a bit smaller on these and the design helps them blend in.

Personally, I'm picking up a brick at some point in the future, but not for performance. If you read my review of them, you'll see how I talk about how they are nothing special art wise. I say this almost every time S&M gets brought up. "If S&M is a work of art then you should consider the Split Spades and Guardians masterpieces and hang them in an art museum."

ABSOLUTELY an improvement though from the original. I mainly want these as practice decks because they simply don't die. If you read my review on them, you'll see some of the hardships my decks went through.

So all in all... I'm not a fan of the back design. Its a bit better, but I honestly feel that these decks are a bit egotistical. Essentially advertising cards for Dan and Dave. However, they feel amazing.

Alright in looks.
AMAZING in feel.

Sold. (But I don't think I'll buy more of them again after this brick.)

Here are the back design pics right off their site:

2h72ckg.jpg

aljddy.jpg

-Doug

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I don't have a problem with being asked it.

I have a problem with 235896134 people yelling and screaming about what if someone asked them, and no-one (or next to no-one, we'll see) actually having been asked it.

So here's the thing. How are they advertising cards? D&D don't need to advertise on their cards for magicians, every magician who isn't under a rock knows of them. And laymen don't ask about it.

And as far as being egotistical goes, I don't believe putting a logo as part of the design constitutes egoism (and they weren't the first to do it either: Wynns). Personal opinion.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I've been using the decks nonstop over the past week - and they feel even better than the originals. Quality is beyond reproach - slick feel, great snap, and extreme durability.

With regard to the design, there were several things that Dan and Dave changed, tweaked, and revamped in production of the second edition. Most of the changes are subtle, but every detail was addressed and polished. The D's on the back design have been greatly reduced in size - and - more importantly - integrated into the design of the deck. This makes them physically a part of the design, and much more subtle than the original composition.

All and all - these are a very worthy sequel to the first edition. Whether you were looking for an improvement in look or feel - this is a great step forward on both fronts.

Sep 1, 2007
California
I like the new design more. Now the D's camouflage in better with the design for those who thought the D's ruined them. I personally didn't mind the D's but I don't want to make this an argument so I won't type anymore about them. I love the feel of these cards and they are very close to if not my favorites

definitely helps for me. those DOuble D's turned me OFF . I can't believe I just said that on here...

Gahh......no.

I was SO excited for another run of S&M decks but the changes make me sad. I thought they were literally PERFECT before these changes.

They still look pretty slick but I now wish I could get my hands on some more of the first editions as I only picked up 3 mirrors and 2 smokes.

If anyone is interested in working out a deal with me on some first edition mirrors I would be interested to say the least!!

Great work on the second run T11! They look great but unfortunately I was WAY into the simplicity of the first run. I can't wait to pick up the second edition just to get the feel of these cards again.

Trent

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
They were sold out here for a while and I had to buy the 1st edditions off ebay. I loved the way they felt, I was a little weirded out by the D's though. I felt the same way about Blaine's Lion decks too. Regardless, I loved how smooth they are and the bends in them do not last as long as regular bicycle decks do. They were a tad to thin for me, so I hope the thicker card stock will help.

True story (and funny one). One of my students saw the D's on the back and when he found out that the design didn't look anything like Dungens & Dragons he was pissed. It was hilarious.

Sep 1, 2007
So is this run going to be limited? Does this mean that after this batch is sold out, the design will be returned to the first edition ones? I'm confused as to what "special edition" means.

Sep 1, 2007
You guys are swayed pretty easily. Not that much of a difference.

I find it funny that Mr. Bayme said that, considering dananddave have said for a while that the quality won't change.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
You guys are swayed pretty easily. Not that much of a difference.

I find it funny that Mr. Bayme said that, considering dananddave have said for a while that the quality won't change.

Quality ALWAYS changes. It's impossible for two deck runs printed months apart to feel exactly the same under the current conditions of custom card printing at USPCC. Heck - the White Centurions were printed on the same card stock as the latest run of regular Centurions, but just about every single person that has held them can tell a subtle yet immediate difference.

You are correct that the grade and type of card stock was not changed - but subtle variations in the amount of finish, depth of impression, and print conditions can result in noticeable effect. Summary, synopsis - these feel great.

hduarte1

Elite Member
Jul 2, 2008
Akatsuki Hideout
Quality ALWAYS changes. It's impossible for two deck runs printed months apart to feel exactly the same under the current conditions of custom card printing at USPCC. Heck - the White Centurions were printed on the same card stock as the latest run of regular Centurions, but just about every single person that has held them can tell a subtle yet immediate difference.

You are correct that the grade and type of card stock was not changed - but subtle variations in the amount of finish, depth of impression, and print conditions can result in noticeable effect. Summary, synopsis - these feel great.

Is the price staying the same?

Webby

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
I bought 6 decks of the originals and I am not that crazy about them. First off, The cut was way off on 3 of the decks. And not just a little either. To me they look a little cheap. What ever happened to putting color into the designs? I am getting a little tired of the black and white fad going on lately. It's played out!!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results