"Where did you learn that?"

Oct 13, 2008
When performing, I'm often contested with the question, "Where did you learn that?"

Now, when posed with this question, I'm very torn. Saying that I learned it off of a DVD or a book--in my eyes--severely ruins the magic of the performance. Now, there are few alternatives... this isn't really a question you can dance around in a performance. I want to avoid lying, but as a magician, I'm not opposed to doing so for the sake of an effect. In most cases, I end up saying, "I taught myself." (Not entirely untrue, but also not entirely true).

I wasn't sure if I was unique in my case, or if others of you face a similar quandary. How do you guys respond to this question?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Sun|Sky

Jul 14, 2008
I responded the same statement as you did. If I told them that I learned from youtube (pretend that it is), people would go to the internet which would ruin the magic.

Apr 26, 2008
Yeah....I will either say something like "I have my ways"
or
I will start to make up some bogus story like...Well actually I was raised by a magical elf in the mountains of Bulgaria and he taught me how..." then I'll just suddenly stop and start to laugh and say "just joking" or something like that...then they normally just laugh and don't ask again....

;)

Aug 31, 2007
I say I learned it as a kid when I started getting into magic. That answer actually makes no sense to their question, but most people just nod along. It's amazing how most of the time people don't really care about what you say, but they just want to hear something coming out of your mouth.

Nov 24, 2007
Hermosillo Sonora
i say books. nobody around my country knows about magic books or dvd. so i could say books and they wouldn´t think about a card magic book with illustrations, instructions and pictures :D
anyways i let my audience to believe what they want about it: sleight of hand or magic. As long as they have fun. the way that i feel like: if i feel like real magic then i try magic if not then i let them to believe. ;D

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
im honest, i say i learned from books and dvd's and such as well as fellow magicians. I also mention how long it has taken and how much dedication and practice has been put into it to deter those who dont seriously want to take up the hobby..

baller08

Banned
Sep 21, 2008
I look them in the eye and with a straight face say, "I sold my soul to the devil". Don't say, "I'm kidding" or anything like that. They'll laugh, they'll most likely think you're kidding....they won't ask again...but they'll not be 100% sure.

Apr 30, 2008
Sweden, Vänersborg
I have read alot of old magic books is a good answer. People now a days find i hard to even read a book and even more so and old book on sleight of hand magic so they find it somehow impressive.

As I have mentioned before I have began to become more ystorious about my magic and all that stuff. It is more fun and leaves my spectators wondering who I was and if they will ever see someone like that again. So whenever they ask me that question I just say: "I don't know... sometimes stuff like this just happens to me." Then I wink and walk away without another word.

Dylan P.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results