Friends and Family - Magic Around The Table

Jun 4, 2008
san clemente, ca
I was just wondering what kind of magic or effects do you like to do while sitting at the table with friends or family at a restaurant.
Recently I've found myself in this situation and I stand up to show them something. I don't really like the fact of standing up all of a sudden. I want it to be casual and not like, "hey, look at me I've got a pack of cards. I'm a magician. Check this out. I'm cooler than you."...and so on..
I'm looking for something organic and natural. Where I can just grab something off the table or borrow something from someone and perform magic.
I'd appreciate the thoughts.
- Jacob

Jul 8, 2008
Tintagel
Don't force magic only perform when asked else the performance would seem like just another trick. If you are serious about your new material polish the performance as well as you can before you show it, entertain them don't fool them. You and your friends will have a more enjoyable time in the long run.

Matt

I was just wondering what kind of magic or effects do you like to do while sitting at the table with friends or family at a restaurant.
Recently I've found myself in this situation and I stand up to show them something. I don't really like the fact of standing up all of a sudden. I want it to be casual and not like, "hey, look at me I've got a pack of cards. I'm a magician. Check this out. I'm cooler than you."...and so on..
I'm looking for something organic and natural. Where I can just grab something off the table or borrow something from someone and perform magic.
I'd appreciate the thoughts.
- Jacob
well i do magic when asked...i don't impose on people.....i usually do ACR's....mentalism....and small stuff...at parties is when i do my big stuff.....

Jan 13, 2008
I suggest looking in some older books, introductory books, even kids books. You'll find tricks with sugar packets, straws, etc. Perfect for when you go out somewhere to eat. :)

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I'm confused.
Does it matter if you use a deck of cards? Or did you want effects that can be accomplished sitting down at a table without a deck?

With card magic, simply any card magic books could be done sitting. (Royal Road)
If you don't think so, try practicing the same tricks you perform sitting at your kitchen table to see what you need to adjust.
Lennart Greene has some nice material to study as well.

For other tricks that don't involve cards, I think Jay Sankey has a nice DVD for Restaurant magic that might be suitable to your liking.

Nov 2, 2008
Arkansas
When ever I'm not eating or sleeping(unless I sleep flourish), i always have a deck of cards out and practicing. The flourishing usually encourages one of my friends to ask to see a trick. Better than just waiting for a request. I also get strangers asking me to do something that way. Something visual to catch their interest is always better than "wanna see a trick?".

As far as impromptu or seemingly impromptu I recommend Dan and Dave's Organic. In my opinion the way it gets you thinking is just as good as the tricks taught. Jay Sankey also has a lot of restraunt type stuff. Joshua Jay has a book that teaches some easy restraunt tricks. I think its called Joshua Jay's Guide to Magic or something like that.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results