Stage performance issues... Advice Needed!

Nov 25, 2007
This post has been edited due to the amazing responses and assistance I have received here... you guys are awesome! Cheers...

Last edited by a moderator:
Never be discouraged

Ok first off dont say its impossible. Nothing in the world is impossible. Second i really admire your passion. Well never feel ashamed or embarassed to ask for help. Noone in the world can do everything. You are actually bettering yourself by asking for help. Its just up to the public on if they wish to encourage you by trying to help or be discouraging by simply glimpsing past you. yes alot of the "items" to perform the big stage illusions is necessary but it can be dont. Im a performer myself. Now i do more street and underground however i do love stage. I hope this isnt to much to ask but if you could p.m. me so we can discuss a few things that i think may be helpful.

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
Hi

Hi,

My name's Zack. I also have a couple of handicaps that get to me from time to time; one being a sleight case of spinabifida(spelling??:) which effects my posture and balance and also talipes equinovarus which is technical jargain for a club foot which gives me a limp. I was also made fun of growing up, but in the end it made me a much better, kinder person. I don't do stage but I do make a living as a magician in Downtown OKC on the Riverwalk. At times it's hard for me to go through a 6-8 hour day due to the fact that I have horrible arthritis due to my club foot so standing for long periods can be challenging. My balance also prohibits me from doing any type of levitation that 's out on the market currently. I've found ways around it, though it will always be somewhat frustrating. I use to get upset when people stared at my limp as I passed by or asked if I had hurt myself, but ultimately I grew to feel somewhat sorry for the people that didn't have the common sense to keep their thoughts to themselves as I'm sure you have too. I think you really need to just get out there and see what's possible and what's not. Don't bring attention to the things you can't do on the stage and the spectators will be none the wiser. Expand on the things you can do on the stage. If you have minor slips or embarassing moments it's okay, even people without handicaps will embarass themselves by tripping on stage, etc. Who cares if there are a few people in the audience that laugh or make fun of the situation, they're probably miserable in an office job that they hate while you're living out your dream. If you love magic like I do, you'll keep on remembering you deserve to follow and capitalize on your passion and dream just as much as anyone else and you should give yourself that opportunity. You'll find a way to make it work. Plus, you're a cute girl, you've already one 50% of the battle with all the guys in the audience:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 15, 2008
Ok first off dont say its impossible. Nothing in the world is impossible. Second i really admire your passion. Well never feel ashamed or embarassed to ask for help. Noone in the world can do everything. You are actually bettering yourself by asking for help. Its just up to the public on if they wish to encourage you by trying to help or be discouraging by simply glimpsing past you. yes alot of the "items" to perform the big stage illusions is necessary but it can be dont. Im a performer myself. Now i do more street and underground however i do love stage. I hope this isnt to much to ask but if you could p.m. me so we can discuss a few things that i think may be helpful.

Actually, lots of things are impossible.

i refuse to believe anything is impossible. I have seen people that were told that they would never walk again yet with their determination they walked. I have also seen my friend get told he has 2 months to live before cancer kills him and now its going to be 7 years from that day and he's healthier than ever. So in my own opinion anything is possible.

Actually, lots of things are impossible.

[sarcasm] Quite the inspirational post, given the context. [/sarcasm] Way to go ass.

With that bit of unpleasantness out of the way, let me now address Miss Hall's concerns.

I don't believe in handycaps. These aren't disabilities that you are cursed with, only a situation you must work around. Your act that you will develop will need to play to your strengths, and minimize using your weaknesses.

There are a lot of ways to present stage magic that isn't reliant on grand illusion. You just need to find and hone pieces that best fit into what you can do, and what you want to do.

You can certainly get stage hands and extras to fill in on stage doing the things that your yourself can't. You're still the magi, and in control. You are just controlling it through others. Kind of like a puppet master.

Your CP actually could benefit you as well when it comes to getting a theater to perform in. An inspirational, uplifting show about over coming personal challenges and hurdles would be a wonderful thing for the community! I can't think of a church, theater, or any stage for that matter that wouldn't want that kind of publicity working for them!

Also you don't have to do the entire show by yourself! Partner up with other talent and present a vaudeville style 10 in 1 show. That's 10 different acts all under 1 roof.

Don't let your disabilities get in your way, You just got to figure out how to work with and around them that's all.

All the best to you,
Draven

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results