Will magic change the way your friends think about you?

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Hey,

Need some help. I just started magic over the summer and school back and still have not perform for anybody. I even don't bring a deck. The truth is that I am afriad if I do magic for my friends then they would think differently about me. My friends which think as me as a smart and athletic teenager. I know them form many years. So would they think differently about me like in a bad or good way. I go to a school with a vartiey of races and the whole school knows me as a smart one. I just afriad that they would think differently as me like a nerd. I need some help. I know I going to get B****thcy commets, but I would take anything. I hope everybody can understand me. Also I just do Card magic.

Dec 16, 2008
Austin, TX
I would suggest bringing your cards. I always have cards on me, and frankly, I feel weird without them. :p
But if you just start doing things like flourishes, or even just playing with your cards, someone will ask you if you do magic. In that situation, since you haven't performed a lot, just do your simplest trick.
Either that, or just walk up to a group of people and ask them if they want to see a trick. Or something along those lines.

I used to be known as a nerd/smart one (though that's changed) and I don't really think they'll think bad about you, I don't know why they would. It should just make you that guy that does tricks, as well as the smart one.

It sounds to me like you might think of magic as a nerdy thing to do and are projecting that onto the people at your school, worrying that they'll share in that. Magic is what you make of it. There is nothing inherently bad about competently performed magic.

By the same token, I don't see that magic itself can be anything other than what it is; a performance. You can make it decent or bad (nerdy, in your words), but that's up to you, not the magic.

Pj

May 10, 2009
All i can say is, it all depends on your performance. Make the tricks the way you think it suits yourself. I can say that magic for me has in a way made my friends look up to me more. Also, performing magic to friends is fun. You really should try it.

It would be nice if nobody flamed me for the comments I am going to list. Do you think that people label David Blaine or Criss Angel as nerds? You have to put an entertaining show on for everybody watching, an effect that you can present in a non nerdy way.

Since you already have a reputation as a non nerd then why would you be labeled as one now? Because of a few effects with cards? Sounds like you are overanalyzing this or maybe your peers overjudge that which they do not know.

Feb 28, 2008
Don't worry about it... just don't be like, "Hey, you wanna see a trick?" and force it in people's faces.

No one will think it's nerdy... just be natural about it and be yourself. People I know often find my magic just a cool thing I do like people that play guitar or can draw. It's a nice skill to have.

Jan 10, 2008
You will probably find that once you show them one trick, if you do it well; they will probably ask to see another one. Don't be afraid of magic, it is your friend and it's a wonderful icebreaker and communication tool.

Best of luck,
David

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I like how when my friends are out of change in the shopping line they quickly glance over at me, hoping I'll 'make some'.

Damn you Homer ;)

G

What got you into magic? You probably saw someone do something and thought, "Hey....that was cool!" Did you think they were a nerd? Probably not. Magic (DONE WELL) takes an intelligent, witty, fast thinking performer....not a nerd. Yeah, we're all nerds on here, spending our precious time trivializing moves and credits, but your friends don't see that. They see an incredible moment, and suspension of disbelief and the feeling of wonder and amazement. And if that makes me a nerd, then bring on the pocket protector. You're nervous, because without performance experience, you don't know the ABSOLUTE JOYS of entertaining people. It's the best man. Try it and you'll never look back.

Jonathan

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I would suggest bringing your cards. I always have cards on me, and frankly, I feel weird without them. :p
But if you just start doing things like flourishes, or even just playing with your cards, someone will ask you if you do magic. In that situation, since you haven't performed a lot, just do your simplest trick.
Either that, or just walk up to a group of people and ask them if they want to see a trick. Or something along those lines.

I used to be known as a nerd/smart one (though that's changed) and I don't really think they'll think bad about you, I don't know why they would. It should just make you that guy that does tricks, as well as the smart one.

I am going to agree with you so much. I just whip my cards out and start playing with them and people ask and i entertain.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Let me tell you that I will be the first one to say that I am not your typical magician so to speak. I used to be an amateur body builder, typical good looking muscle bound jock who got all the girls attention, and was pretty popular in h.s. and college. I am now in my 10th year of teaching and coaching wrestling and continue to work out.

I've have even been asked why would someone who looks like myself consider magic as a fun or exciting hobby. I do agree that a lot of people view magic as dorky....until they see a great performance. This changes everything. You will make or break it for yourself. Don't allow it to be dumb or nerdy....freak'in fry their mind with great effects and super presentation.

Sure my friends who are in their late 20's and early 30's will rip on me from time to time or say "magic is gay...ha ha" just to be funny but deep down they respect what I do and see that I am actually doing a great job at it and am making decent money on the side.

My friends are the first ones to point out when I am at a gathering to "please" do some magic because they love it. You'll be fine. At first when you start to bust out your cards they might make fun of you a little because it is something new to see you with cards and what not. However, over time the newness of seeing you with cards wears off and they get used to you having your cards out.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Thanks for all the replies. I just send a pm to someone explain that I really care what my friends think about overall not just magic. Family is something different but I really need to try it mabye tomorrow or mabye make sure I am allow to bring a deck of cards. Well thanks anyway keep it coming guys.

When I first started out I only showed family. Never did it for my friends or anybody. Not because I thought they would think I was nerdy or lame, because I thought I sucked at magic. After a while I would take a deck everywhere I went (mall, school, to the place where my mom gets her hair done and i have to wait a million years for it to be ready, etc.) I saw people looking at me in Awe when I did a cool flourish. I would walk around doing shapeshifter till my fingers broke off ( seriously, they came off.). Then One day I was at the mall doing the shapeshifter, trying to get it perfect, when someone went "WOAH do that again!!!" I said I will show you something better. I did about 10 minutes worth of magic. I was very very nervous that they were going to catch me do a sleight but they didn't. After that day I went and did magic for my friends then moved to strangers then the president.... ok well maybe not the president but you catch my drift. (I hope)

Thanks for reading my long post,

Justin Way

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey man. I was in the same situation. I'm in 8th grade now, and evryone knows i do magic. But in the 6th grade, I started, but was really afraid of what people thought of me if i did it. The stereotype with magic according to most popular teenagers is that its gay and its stupid and nerdy. That my friends is a load of BS. Magic is something that is supposed to fool the spectator, amke them think and decept their minds. Of course if you go to school and perform something cheesy and, how do I put this, "stupid", of course they will laugh. I was and still am a very smart kid, and after showing countless amounts of people great tricks, they ask me every class period if I have something cool to show them. It's always about presentation and how you make it a magical moment for them. Take your time, blow their mind, and you will never be considered a nerd ever, and I mean never again. Hope that helped from someone that actually lived through the same experience.

-Perceptiv3

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
if your friends dont like you because u started doing magic, or started doing anything constructive.

you need new friends

my friends think its the coolest thing ever

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results