An ethics question

Jul 10, 2010
McAllen, TX
www.wix.com
Logic isn't different based on material, your ethics are, the logic is 'everybody does ____, so it's okay to do ____'

To say it only applies to this one thing is your own opinion, but logically I said the same thing, just with different examples.

Same logic : Different ethical discussion.

But I wouldn't use that logic for something as serious. You can't just generalize like that because the situation is vastly different.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
But I wouldn't use that logic for something as serious. You can't just generalize like that because the situation is vastly different.

Fair enough.

While certain situations do call for certain types of logic, logic in and of itself can be used universally. It isn't, for reasons seen in this thread, but it should be noted that thinking about one thing a certain way will influence your decisions on another thing (maybe not all things, but some things). Just something to think about.

Maybe we shouldn't undersell when we sell back our magic dvds. They're in working order and have the same material as the brand new one, why sell it for less? It'll save shipping and handling.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
I would be interested in hearing some opinions from some Theory 11 artists.

Why stop at just T11 artists? Ask as many creators out there as you want and I'm sure the majority won't have any problems with people reselling stuff. This whole thread is turning out to be a tempest in a teapot.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
It is not illegal to lend music movies etc. One is even legally able to copy a certain amount of a song or move. (see:http://www.copyright.gov/title17/) (This is even Blockbuster's or a library's business.)

I don't copy music for friends, or download software illegally. I just don't. Nor will I just because the guy down the street does it. Your actions do not affect my behavior. (To be clear, I have done some of that before I learned that it was illegal, but choose to not do that currently)

So with magic books and DVD's, it is by no means illegal to lend or to sell them.

Is it ethical? Well, as mentioned that depends. If you are not using it and you go to a swap meet and you trade it or sell it to another magician, then I don't see any harm in that. But remember that the material is trade secrets and ideas, so because the government cannot set laws up to protect that, we must mentally set up our own guidelines/laws and live by that. We can't forget that there is more at stake than an artist's paycheck.

They(creators) only put their stuff out there when they are done with it most of the time, As evident with Wayne Houchin's Thread, which he kept for years!!! So I think you have that freedom to do what you feel....Wayne knew that this wasn't gonna remain a secret if he put it out there right off, which is why he kept it!!!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results