Not sure what this move is..

Hey guys,

I have never posted here, but there is a first for everything, right?

Anyway,

I was reading through one of my books, magic 1400's - 1950's, and I found this picture:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=457369787076&set=o.7163962142

(sorry, I don't know any other way to post a pic)

The caption says: ''This unknown magician faced the same problem as Evanion, he wanted to depict his considerable skill with playing cards, this time in a still photograph. His solution, this gravity-defying display of card-manship, would certainly have provoked an air of curiosity in his performance.''

In the text below it tells about how this was sometime late in the 1800's. Anyone know the move?

Thanks!

Mehar

Jun 10, 2010
falsified pic...? What's that mean?

Fake.

Drawn, photoshopped, etc. He means the image has either been altered or created from scratch and it is not a real one. While I will not attest to what it is, I must say, if that's a real spring, that's a damn beauty.

Jun 10, 2010
Hmm.. I doubt that it can be falsified, because it's from the late 1800's and the guy was supposedly a skilled magician

It's called a picture. You can photoshop nearly any damn thing nowadays, and back then, people could draw, you know...

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I don't know what the dates were but in a period of time, way before photoshop, when photographs were just coming about and it was all black and white, one or two guys figured out a way to manipulate photographs to where they could take a picture of people and make a ghost of one of their passed loved ones appear in the photo. I believe somehow the exposed multiple pictures on the same photograph or something along those lines. They made TONS of money doing this. There have always been ways to falsify photographs, even without the use of drawings or computers

Sep 2, 2007
London
There's also an electric deck, or various other similar forms of gaffed deck, which can be used to achieve this sort of result.

Nov 7, 2010
It's a trusted book. It's not from the internet, and it doesn't look like a drawing, and the caption identifies that it's a PICTURE. FROM THE 1800'S.

Im just wondering why you cant believe it MIGHT be fake. It they wanted to fake it, do you think they want it to look like a drawing? no. And a doctored picture is still a picture. Would they tell you that its been doctored? no. It might have been taken in the 1800's of someone doing a different trick and then doctored to this one. Even trusted people in this world including magazines, companies, and COUNTRIES have doctored images to make them look different(Changing a face from a model to Oprah, Adding a missile so it would look like their missile test didnt fail, photoshopping pictures of the golf oil spill response,all real stories). Their is a chance that the deck a gaff and there is an EXTREMELY slight chance it is real, but seeing that no one knows what it is or how to do it, you learning it would be basically impossible. I myself wont give any input of whether or not it is real because im not really experienced.

Nov 7, 2010
My apologies then. I was unaware that you could doctor pics back then. Also, I'mma look up this "electric deck," sounds pretty sweet.

Could have been doctored later on too( maybe when the book was being written), unless the book was published in the 1800s. Then they would have to do a lot of manual labor drawing it(which can be done, some BRILLIANT people out there).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results