Would you buy an Ebook?

Feb 28, 2011
Hey guys,

If you saw an ebook for sale, and you liked the effect. How many of you would actually buy it. I know some people never buy ebooks, but just out of curiosity?

Sep 1, 2007
Missouri, USA
Personally, I probably would. That's if it was an actual BOOK, not just a single effect. Magic e-books are great in my opinion, as they are affordable by my budget and I enjoy using my Kindle to study magic. Nothing is as great as owning an actual magic book for your collection, but e-books have a versatility that's hard to surpass while typically being a bit cheaper.

Sep 1, 2007
Missouri, USA
So to buy and ebook, how many effects would you like to be in the ebook?

Well, I wouldn't be buying a book based on how many effects it contained. I would buy it because I wanted to see the author's take on certain effects or if there was a number of new methods involved that I thought would be worth reading about. If the book was entirely "tricks" then I would think somewhere in the range of 10 different effects would make it a book, to give you a number to work with.

It's not a really solid thing to say, though, because I'm not looking for a large number of unworkable effects. What makes a magic book worth reading is getting advice and teaching from someone who has studied the aspects of certain effects for many years. The point of a magic book should be to give the reader lessons on either the methodology for achieving magical effects or to use the effects as a demonstration of particular performing nuances. If the author is simply trying to put out effects that they haven't devoted the proper attention to, then it certainly isn't a book I would consider purchasing.

I suppose I mean to say that I hold magic e-books to the same standard that I would any magic book. I hope this answers your question.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Really just depends on the material. I've bought ebooks for single effects and for compilations. If an effect is significant enough to stand on its own merits, fine. Bill Montana's Pulse is one example that comes to mind. If it's not stand-alone material, then it simply shouldn't be released as such. Mick Ayres' Acts series comes to mind - he's releasing his entire act, so to release any effect solo would be pointless in my opinion. OF course, if I'm not interested in the material, then I wouldn't even bother downloading a free copy.

I should add that being someone who lives in Australia, ebooks have the obvious advantage of having no shipping and being far more instantaneous.

Feb 28, 2011
I should add that being someone who lives in Australia, ebooks have the obvious advantage of having no shipping and being far more instantaneous.

Same as me. I live on the Gold Coast, so i prefer to download things due to the fact that these days, shipping costs more than the product itself in some cases.

Nov 8, 2007
If the information is good, whether it's an eBook or not is more or less a non-factor in my opinion. I rarely buy eBooks, but the few I have--namely Paul Vigil's Diplopia and Anthony Jacquin's Reality is Plastic--have been more than worth it. My decision to buy or not buy either had nothing to do with them being eBooks.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results