Learn to do the sleight or move to perfection, then spend hours on what to say.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
That quote was from Dai Vernon. Many of you know that I am currently reading Scripting Magic by Pete McCabe.

I feel that many of us, myself included drop the ball when it comes to being scripted. I am guilty of just doing effects and ad libbing throughout some of my shows and have been successful up to this point, however now that I am a quarter of the way through this book I'm starting to see the benefits.

Are there any of us on here that in fact are scripted almost word for word EVERY show and only stray from the script at times or are most of us on here just standing and doing effects while narrating?

Just curious.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Technically you can't ad lib from nothing. The same goes for people here saying they "improv" the entire show. You cannot improv from nothing.

Personally, I would say that you should have an idea of what you want to say before you go about trying to master a sleight. Write a basic script and then just edit it a bunch of times as you continue to perform and learn from your experiences. I know that Ken Weber pretty much says you should also script what you are doing because it makes you look more professional and looks like you put a lot more thought into your act than just learning random effects here and there.

The other thing that scripting will help you get rid of is the whole "I do this and I do that." Why do most magicians feel the need to explain what they are doing? You're not performing for the blind, people can easily see and clearly understand what you are doing.

Jun 1, 2009
Since performing at my local pizza parlor, I've realized I'm saying the same thing for about 3 hours, and I'm fine with that. There have been some tweaks every now and then, but that is because something happened or someone said something that fit so well. For the most part, however, I do have a memorized "script" for the effects I perform regularly, and only stray when something off hand pops up or to play to what the audience is giving me.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Now when I say scripted, I mean you've actually sat down and typed out your lines verbatim and have included your body movements. You know exactly how you are going to be positioned, you know what prop is in which hand, etc. I guess I should have clarified my original thread a bit more.

By all means yes, when something in the audience happens, you must and need to react to it. Go with what the audience gives you. You are allowed to stray from the script but know when it is time to get back on the path.

Jul 17, 2011
Teller doesn't even talk during his magic performances. I find that pretty interesting. I'm not saying that will work for everyone (or anyone for that matter), but I find it interesting and relevant to the topic.

I am just getting back into magic, so you could say I'm "new". But I tend to script almost every trick I learn. It helps me become more comfortable performing it. It keeps me from saying "um...now I'm gonna do this, um...and now...". When I actually perform what I scripted might not always go over the way I scripted it (there may be spectator interaction that causes me to change what I'm saying), but in general, I think the scripting helps.

I think its a good idea for magicians to study both scripting and improvisational skills. This way they're always prepared.

Just my thoughts.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Agent, Believe it or not....ha ha...Penn and Teller's show is scripted. It is almost exact word for word every time unless they put in a new effect.

Jul 17, 2011
Agent, Believe it or not....ha ha...Penn and Teller's show is scripted. It is almost exact word for word every time unless they put in a new effect.
I'm not sure why you're saying this. I said nothing regarding Penn & Teller. I was talking strictly about Teller, not his work with Penn. My point was not about the scriptedness of their show, it was about Teller as a performer.

Apr 12, 2011
Keep in mind to maintain the 2+ way dialogue and don't script so that your piece is just a 1 way monologue to the audience.. Even with scripts, your performance must always have spontaneity. In some pieces I do, I entertain verbatim to the script I wrote for it.. Just play around with your pieces and watch how and when your speccy responds to the piece.. This is when you start tweaking. I would recommend getting an overall idea of what you wanting to say when starting out, and maybe rehearse a few of the lines or jokes.. etc, but if you have no background in theater or drama, then I recommend you begin to study those performance art. Ron Bauer's study series is an excellent course that will educate you at the beginners level and progress you to once familiar with certain themes and such.

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
I'm just now working on scripting out my effects. Every single word will be chosen for a reason. I'm looking forward to it, though I'm not very far along yet.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
I never just wing it. For every one of my tricks, I have some sort of patter line or motivation for the effect. I don't always use a script word by word though. I like to keep things fresh and if I do always have a set script of exactly what I'm going to say, then the performance feels too rehearsed. It takes away some of the authenticity of the magic. So yes, I do script my tricks, but they're more of a basic outline, instead of just a script of words that I say 100% of the time.

Aug 17, 2010
My busking set is pretty tightly scripted. It rarely changes more than half a dozen words, performance to performance.

If a script comes across as too rehearsed, get some books (or lessons) in acting; Broadway has people deliver lines they've memorized as if it's for the first time every night.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I have some routines that I've scripted, but I've just started to script my first show (a 30 minute wedding show).
It's much harder than I thought to not only include every word, but also every stage direction and hand movement.
I'm reading maximum entertainment (incredible read). It also does a really nice job of pointing out the effectiveness of scripting vs. just thinking out what to say and do.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Wow Justin...would love to see or hear about the Wedding Show when it is all said and done. I'm sure even after you have performed it, you will tweak it again and again.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I do script my presentations. Over time, what I've scripted has become more detailed - it used to be concepts and certain lines or jokes, but now I script everything. The words, the expressions and what the audience sees happening in the effect.

Scripting is the best cure for "say-do-see" patter and for bad story patter. Seeing what you are going to say in writing tends to keep you from saying what you are doing or talking about things that only are interesting to you.

It also provides you with an opportunity to EDIT your patter so that it only contains what is necessary for presenting the effect. What I mean is that:

"One day last week I went out with this girl who was a friend to Burger King and after we ordered our food we sat at a table and she told me about her grandmother who used to read tea leaves and predict people's futures."

Becomes this:

"One of my best friend's grandmother used to read tea leaves."

That is, you need to take out everything that isn't essential. That leads to clarity in the audience's mind.

One of the other considerations in scripting is providing the necessary motivation, misdirection and implanted memories in your audience. The motivation is the justification for doing something that might otherwise look out of place like showing the cards as being shuffled while you cut a certain card to the bottom of the deck. Misdirection or more aptly re-direction is focusing your audience's attention where you want it. The patter itself provides misdirection in that it gives the audience something else to focus on, but through scripting you can build in further misdirection by writing patter that actively directs their attention to something else. Finally, implanted memories are devices you use to have the spectator remember something different than what actually happened. Here, subtlety matters. You have to build in suggestions and provide time misdirection. It isn't something that you can do without thinking about it in advance.

Scripting isn't easy but it is with it.

I'm not sure why you're saying this. I said nothing regarding Penn & Teller. I was talking strictly about Teller, not his work with Penn. My point was not about the scriptedness of their show, it was about Teller as a performer.

Every action and expression that Teller makes is scripted. Scripting isn't just words, but actions and expressions and EMOTIONS. By emotions I mean what you convey to your audience - wonder, excitement, sarcasm, humor, etc. Teller doesn't talk but he does communicate more without talking than most performers do with talking.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results