Prediction Routine

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Hey guys,

I'm in search of a prediction routine which should look like this: you come up to the stage (or a table for close up), put an envelope on the table, do a 10-15 min. (or one hour) show, and in the end, to top it all off, you take the envelope and inside are the information about things that happened in the show. Maybe a word someone picked in a book test, the name of a chosen card, color of someones shirt, a shape someone drew, a number someone thought of in another routine etc.
I know about all those expensive boxes and tubes that take up half the stage and cost thousands of dollars. I pretty much just need an envelope (or anything really), which will round a performance with a prediction that was on the table from the very beginning (ala Derren Brown).

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
This sort of thing is usually done with an accomplice, so I don't know how well you could pull it off while table hopping unless you just did a huge amount of forcing and/or pocket writing.

Aug 2, 2011
California
Christopher about summed it all up. A lot of stage routines like that will use someone else helping out backstage. What type of venue are you performing at, restaurant, cabaret, stand-up, etc. I might be able to pinpoint some more specific methods based on the environment you're in.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Christopher about summed it all up. A lot of stage routines like that will use someone else helping out backstage. What type of venue are you performing at, restaurant, cabaret, stand-up, etc. I might be able to pinpoint some more specific methods based on the environment you're in.

It's pretty much just a stand-up, parlor type show. Not a lot of room to move around, and no backstage or accomplice. I also thought about forcing some stuff. Would it be an overkill if I reveal let's say 3 different information during the show, and then reveal the same thing as a prediction from the very beginning?

Aug 2, 2011
California
Hmmm. It depends how you script it. Mentalism can get a bit boring, and even more boring if you reveal the same predictions again. I just don't see the need to reveal them at the end again. I would blend the envelope prediction with the final routine. For example, if the final trick was a book test, your envelope could have a prediction in the envelope that's says "I predict that Larry, who will be wearing a green shirt, will think of the word, noisy"

Now how to accomplish that. I would have a stack of two books, one of them being the book test book. Force the book test book using the classic magicians force or something like that. Behind the other book, have another envelope with the prediction filled out except for the spectator's name and shirt color. While he is flipping through the pages and doing the book test procedure, you could use a swami to fill in his name and shirt color. Then slip that paper inside the envelope behind the extra book you're holding. You could then place the prediction envelope that's been on the table on top of the book you're holding, and on the off beat, flip the book over "switching" the envelopes. Just an idea. Let me know what you think.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Hmmm. It depends how you script it. Mentalism can get a bit boring, and even more boring if you reveal the same predictions again. I just don't see the need to reveal them at the end again. I would blend the envelope prediction with the final routine. For example, if the final trick was a book test, your envelope could have a prediction in the envelope that's says "I predict that Larry, who will be wearing a green shirt, will think of the word, noisy"

Now how to accomplish that. I would have a stack of two books, one of them being the book test book. Force the book test book using the classic magicians force or something like that. Behind the other book, have another envelope with the prediction filled out except for the spectator's name and shirt color. While he is flipping through the pages and doing the book test procedure, you could use a swami to fill in his name and shirt color. Then slip that paper inside the envelope behind the extra book you're holding. You could then place the prediction envelope that's been on the table on top of the book you're holding, and on the off beat, flip the book over "switching" the envelopes. Just an idea. Let me know what you think.
I don't have any gimmicked books for book test, but I like the idea. Maybe I can do the same thing using a 2 books book test, which is just a basic version of a book test, and do the rest the same as you mentioned.
Other idea is not to use the swami gimmick but let's say when I do a drawing duplication routine, to have a secret folded piece of paper in the pad, and as I'm drawing the shape, I can fill out all the information that I want to reveal in the end, and then just force a word in the book test, or something similar.

Aug 2, 2011
California
That would work too! Using a hidden paper in the notepad would look nice, because it is more natural to do that than try to perfect using a swami. My swami handwriting is pretty crappy haha

Nov 8, 2007
...I also thought about forcing some stuff. Would it be an overkill if I reveal let's say 3 different information during the show, and then reveal the same thing as a prediction from the very beginning?
Perhaps the three things you force during the show aren't linked to an initial revelation (ex: forcing the four of spades to do an ACR routine).

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Perhaps the three things you force during the show aren't linked to an initial revelation (ex: forcing the four of spades to do an ACR routine).

Hmmm, interesting idea. Although I had in mind that entire show be mentalism. So how can I force something and not make it a revelation? I was thinking of just asking random questions during the show like "you seem like an interesting person, do you have a dog by any chance? which race? Poodle? interesting..." and then when I open the envelope it will say "Poodle" amongst other things.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Ok. . . a couple of things starting with strong encouragement in your picking up Paul Stockman's CONNECTED DVD. There is a specific routine on that disc that will fulfill your vision. There are other variations as well but Paul's method is more fluid in my opinion, and doesn't require an accomplice, such as most "Confabulation" routines require.

There are several other cheats that can be exploited when it comes to this sort of bit, but I will not outline them in an open forum; just realize that with Mentalism it's not what the public sees that makes it come together, we are a sneaky, underhanded lot that will stoop to some amazing lows in order to create miracles.

I would not use forces extensively, though you may want one or two (depending on how much you plan to reveal, I can see this final reveal as a very huge bit of business both, literally and figuratively . . . an excellent finale to a show addressing the idea of "destiny & fate").

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Ok. . . a couple of things starting with strong encouragement in your picking up Paul Stockman's CONNECTED DVD. There is a specific routine on that disc that will fulfill your vision. There are other variations as well but Paul's method is more fluid in my opinion, and doesn't require an accomplice, such as most "Confabulation" routines require.

There are several other cheats that can be exploited when it comes to this sort of bit, but I will not outline them in an open forum; just realize that with Mentalism it's not what the public sees that makes it come together, we are a sneaky, underhanded lot that will stoop to some amazing lows in order to create miracles.

I would not use forces extensively, though you may want one or two (depending on how much you plan to reveal, I can see this final reveal as a very huge bit of business both, literally and figuratively . . . an excellent finale to a show addressing the idea of "destiny & fate").
Exactly, that was the whole idea for the premise of the show: "are we easily influenced or is everything a fate and destiny?". So when I start talking about that in the beginning of the show, I can come back to it in the end with the revelation, which would make everything that happened during the show come around full circle.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Exactly, that was the whole idea for the premise of the show: "are we easily influenced or is everything a fate and destiny?". So when I start talking about that in the beginning of the show, I can come back to it in the end with the revelation, which would make everything that happened during the show come around full circle.

Toby:

There is a great effect called Your Show in Review by Jim Steinmeyer in the October 2012 Genii. That does require an assistant but the effect can be modified to use other methods. I think you are on the right track, but feel free to PM me if you want to go into detail on ideas for methods.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Toby:

There is a great effect called Your Show in Review by Jim Steinmeyer in the October 2012 Genii. That does require an assistant but the effect can be modified to use other methods. I think you are on the right track, but feel free to PM me if you want to go into detail on ideas for methods.
Thanks man, I PM'd you!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results