Hello PC Wizards!

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I've got an odd problem with my PC and am dreading that it could be my video card. . .

HERE'S THE SYMPTOMS: On certain sites, such as Facebook and here, fonts get fuzzy and have missing parts to letters and a reddish shadow around them. It's something I've never seen before and it's been going on for a few weeks now.

Understand, I'm a major dummy when it comes to this stuff so I need someone that's very patient that can explain whatever steps I need to take in correcting things, if possible via a SKYPE face to face so we can share screen if need be.

Thanks so much in advance

Sep 1, 2007
Hmm... Sounds like your video card might be overheating. Does the PC feel unusually warm lately? Regardless, try shutting it off and vacuuming out the innards, especially around the video card. The cooling fans end up pulling in dust like you wouldn't believe and a lot of it collects in the most inconvenient places. If it gets a thick enough layer, it insulates like fiberglass and causes the components to overheat.

Mar 22, 2013
Munich / Germany
This Problem could due to your VGH cable.
If these cables are getting old and used, or they are low quality, this often happens.

The VGH cable connects you monitor with the video card in your computer, so you should be able to
easily find it.

A standard cable looks something like this

I can not guarantee, that this is the reason, but it is most likely. ;)

I really hope that helps!

- Konrad

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Do NOT vacuum a computer. Vacuums create a lot of static and static+motherboard/inside a computer = damage.

Use compressed air to blow the dust out. Make sure you do this somewhere that a big ol' cloud of dust won't be an issue, ie: outside

Aug 16, 2011
I've got an odd problem with my PC and am dreading that it could be my video card. . .

HERE'S THE SYMPTOMS: On certain sites, such as Facebook and here, fonts get fuzzy and have missing parts to letters and a reddish shadow around them. It's something I've never seen before and it's been going on for a few weeks now.

Understand, I'm a major dummy when it comes to this stuff so I need someone that's very patient that can explain whatever steps I need to take in correcting things, if possible via a SKYPE face to face so we can share screen if need be.

Thanks so much in advance

It could be a simple fix, such as your video driver needs to be updated or a loose connection on your monitor cable. It could also be a setting in IE, Chrome or whatever browser you use settings getting changed. It could also be more serious, such as a monitor or video card needing to be replaced. Hard to pinpoint without further information.

Is the video issue you are experiencing only on certain websites or is it on all websites? Are you seeing this same issue on your desktop or in folder titles or any other programs, such as Microsoft Word? Also, are you on a laptop or desktop? If you're on a desktop and the video card goes bad, you can always throw in another one for pretty cheap, but if you're on a laptop, then I'm afraid it's not that simple and will most likely need to be replaced/repaired(usually cheaper to replace nowadays) that is however the worst case scenario. Just to give you my background, I am a System Support Tech, CompTIA A+ Certified and have a degree in Computer Networking. I won't be available until the late evening, but I'd be more than willing to help you out on Skype.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 4, 2010
I have the exact same problem with my laptop (blurry, pixelated, unreadable text on websites), but only with Firefox. If I use Chrome this doesn't happen. Try using a different browser.

Aug 16, 2011
Thanks for the input guys. . . this is a PC (HP) and I use Firefox as a browser.

This is just a very odd phenomenon that has me perplexed.

Send me a PM Craig and we can work out a time to Skype. Also, in the meantime, try downloading Google Chrome and see if you experience the same issues.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results