YouTube Petition!

Sep 1, 2007
austria
well, count me in, but i don't think it's a good idea.

i'd suggest more aggressive, more questionable ways:
everyone gets a youtube account (if he/she doesn't have one), then we start a new thread here where we collect all magic exposers from youtube, and first up we flag the videos (i don't know if that actually does anything, but with a big amount of people it might help), and then we set a certain time when we all at once write a more or less polite message to the user asking him not to expose magic tricks. i can imagine that some of those 9year olds might be impressed by the amount of messages and actually listen to us.

Sep 1, 2007
okay...i just lost what little respect i had for...

do you realize that instead of sitting there on a PC posting on threads were noone wants you, you could have been out performing...or are you just that arrogant?

Now you're just being a brat. If you can't handle people disagreeing with you, then why are you on the internet in the first place?

i'd suggest more aggressive, more questionable ways:

Okay, so I tell you guys that this plan has failed in the past, and does not work and I get made out to be a villain.

This guy posts this... and you're cool with that?

You know that old cliche? It goes, "To repeatedly perform the same action and expect a variant reaction is a sign of madness."

Well, I'm taking that advice to heart. This is the last attempt I'm going to make to get my point across because so far I keep getting the same reaction: a lot of whining, complaining, excuses, and rationalization.

You can't stop exposure from happening!

You're arrogant and a fool if you think otherwise. It's not YouTube's fault you're getting caught, it's your own. When Gary Darwin saw the Thumb Tip exposed on national TV, he got some friends together and went out with a TT painted bright red and did an entire day of nothing but TT magic. You know how many times he got caught? Zero.

Now, shouldn't that be a level you should aspire to? A real magician knows that exposure won't affect him because he can rise above it. That's the proactive, intelligent, mature thing to do.

What's your excuse?

Sep 3, 2007
Pennsylvania
Signing a petition won't do much. I've seen quite a few petitions that were very similar to this one. It didn't really help. The best way to fight exposure is to stay ahead of it by learning tricks that less people know about, or inventing more tricks of your own.

Sep 3, 2007
Even if the stuff was taken off of youtube there are other places on the net to get it, in most cases better quality also. So it might help because it is easily accessible to many people, but if someone really wants to find out how you did it they can. I say don't worry about it. And if they ask for the name of the trick make up your own name, or better yet make your own trick.

Sep 2, 2007
I'm willing to sign it, but isn't that an infringement of free speech, and therefore unconstitutional and illegal under the Constitution of the United States of America?:D

Just a thought.

Cheers,
JTM

Sep 1, 2007
austria
I'm willing to sign it, but isn't that an infringement of free speech, and therefore unconstitutional and illegal under the Constitution of the United States of America?
JTM

yes it is, but isn't it the same when i can't say f*uck or something like that, which is always censored (youtube has an over-18-verification-sh*t for such videos).

PS: haha, i don't know wheather i'm allowed to use those bad words around here, but i'd rather not find out (although i could just read the rules...)

Sep 1, 2007
I'm willing to sign it, but isn't that an infringement of free speech, and therefore unconstitutional and illegal under the Constitution of the United States of America?:D

Just a thought.

Cheers,
JTM

Here's the thing. The videos themselves are not copyright infringement because the creator of the video is drawing no monetary profit from them.

However, YouTube attempts to enforce a policy of no copyrighted content because they derive money from ad space sold on the site, and thus could be construed as accomplace to infringement in a court of law.

They don't go to great lengths for it, but they do investigate flagged videos so that they can claim plausible deniability should the issue ever come to court. If they're ever subpoenaed, they can point out to the court that they have been following up on complaints of flagged videos to show that they should not have to pay any damages based on negligence. It's very similar to the case a couple years back of Marvel Comics vs. NCSoft.

That in mind, sending a petition to YouTube to take down all exposure videos doesn't work because they're not going to redivert that much time and energy to taking down a specific set of videos based on criteria that will need constant updates from the magic community proper. Simply put, we are not important enough to be worth that kind of effort.

We're on our own in this situation, which to be perfectly frank is the way it should be. We can't go crying to somebody else when it's technically not their fault. We can only affect positive change in ourselves. That is what we all should be doing instead of crying to YouTube because we're dealing with the fact that we're not as good as we thought we were.

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
Here's the thing. The videos themselves are not copyright infringement because the creator of the video is drawing no monetary profit from them.

However, YouTube attempts to enforce a policy of no copyrighted content because they derive money from ad space sold on the site, and thus could be construed as accomplace to infringement in a court of law.

They don't go to great lengths for it, but they do investigate flagged videos so that they can claim plausible deniability should the issue ever come to court. If they're ever subpoenaed, they can point out to the court that they have been following up on complaints of flagged videos to show that they should not have to pay any damages based on negligence. It's very similar to the case a couple years back of Marvel Comics vs. NCSoft.

That in mind, sending a petition to YouTube to take down all exposure videos doesn't work because they're not going to redivert that much time and energy to taking down a specific set of videos based on criteria that will need constant updates from the magic community proper. Simply put, we are not important enough to be worth that kind of effort.

We're on our own in this situation, which to be perfectly frank is the way it should be. We can't go crying to somebody else when it's technically not their fault. We can only affect positive change in ourselves. That is what we all should be doing instead of crying to YouTube because we're dealing with the fact that we're not as good as we thought we were.

what im hoping this list will provide is that exposure relatewd videos be added to the list of videos not permitted on the site...and io thought u were finished in this thread...?

Sep 1, 2007
what im hoping this list will provide is that exposure relatewd videos be added to the list of videos not permitted on the site.

If flagged, they're taken down. That's the best you're going to get. And I'm waiting to see what your reaction is to my last couple posts before I decide whether or not you're intent on only listening to those who implicitly agree with you.

Sep 1, 2007
so right

I agree with you completely and this is a great cause you are fighting for
Good luck

Sep 1, 2007
austria

why is it illegal then to upload hollywood movies at youtube?
people watching magic tricks on youtube won't buy the original dvd/book, so it's lost money for the creator.

Sep 1, 2007
Ohio
www.myspace.com
On this topic....

Maybe post videos on Youtube under disguise of a magic tutorial, and just explaine in your video that what they are doing only hurts themselves, by watching explanations of tricks that are taught just horribly. And then say, if you are serious about magic, then go to..... and plug Theory11 :)

and then Jon gives you a call and says, "hey, you wanna be our marketing director?"

haha

Sep 1, 2007
austria
Maybe post videos on Youtube under disguise of a magic tutorial, and just explaine in your video that what they are doing only hurts themselves, by watching explanations of tricks that are taught just horribly. And then say, if you are serious about magic, then go to..... and plug Theory11 :)

that's an awesome idea! maybe even the best one so far! but we all need to do this together, because it has to be an avalanche of fake magic tutorials, otherwise, if there are only like ten people posting a vid each that doesn't do jack!

Sep 1, 2007
why is it illegal then to upload hollywood movies at youtube?

Re-read my post, and read all of it. Because it seems to me that you didn't read past that first sentence.

that's an awesome idea! maybe even the best one so far! but we all need to do this together, because it has to be an avalanche of fake magic tutorials, otherwise, if there are only like ten people posting a vid each that doesn't do jack!

Jesus cross-dressing Christ on a bike...

Fine. If you guys are this intent on wasting your time making videos, try this suggestion:

http://forums.theory11.com/showpost.php?p=5729&postcount=9

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results