10 Basic Classifications of Non-Magical Card Manipulation

Hello,

This came to me onetime at school, so I grabbed my notepad and started writing. Please give me you thoughts on this and if I have missed anything.

1. One-Handed Flourishes- Cuts or Flourishes in where two hands never touch the deck at the same time. (Notables: Charlier Cut, Revolution Cut and Pirouette Flourish)

2. Two-Handed Flourishes- Cuts that involve two hands throughout-out most of the flourish. (Notables: Sybil and JacksonFive)

3. Shuffles- Flourishes involving shuffling (Mixing) the cards. (Notables: Riffle Shuffle, Over-Hand shuffle and Table Shuffle)

4. Spreads- Flourishes involving spreading the cards on a surface. (Notables: Ribbon Spread and Arm-Spread)

5. Springs and Drops- Flourishes involving springing or dropping of a deck of cards. (Notables: Card Spring and Cascade Drop)

6. Tablework- Floursihes invloving the use of a table. (Notables: Table Shuffle and Ribbon Spread)

7. Aerials- Flourishes involving a playing card or a packet of card being completely air-borne. (Notables: Hot-Shot Card Flick and Pirouette spins.

8. Displays- Flourishes invovling the display of a set of cards. (Notables: SSS (Self Standing Sculptures) and The WERM.

9. Body Work- Flourishes involving playing card to body parts. (Notables: Foot Shuffle and Leno-Cut.

10. Hybrids- Floruishes involving foreign objects. (Notables: Jewelly and Dice Hybrids)

Well what do you think of the list?

JDEN

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
3. Shuffles- Flourishes involving shuffling (Mixing) the cards. (Notables: Riffle Shuffle, Over-Hand shuffle and Table Shuffle)

6. Tablework- Floursihes invloving the use of a table. (Notables: Table Shuffle and Ribbon Spread)

9. Body Work- Flourishes involving playing card to body parts. (Notables: Foot Shuffle and Leno-Cut.

How can the foot shuffle and the table shuffle not be part of the 'shuffle' group?

Gustav

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
Amen!
[I'm typing this just to have at least 10 characters... What's up with that rule, anyway?]

[Guess its to prevent spam. It's an uncommon known fact that spammers have the average attention span of a goldfish - making it impossible for them to type over ten characters.]

Gustav

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Instead of 10 theories, put classifications, and you are good to go...

But you maybe want to narrow it down to 6 or 7, because you are repeating yourself...

Cheers

Jan 31, 2008
Ummmm. No. See this link: http://proxcm.com/beginners.htm probably the best classification list for the core concepts and ideas. But, another way I classify moves are by using a list of the most basic "forms" of a deck and other variation, these include:

-Moves involving the deck as a whole
-Moves involving packets of cards
-Moves in which cards/packets/or deck(s) are airborne (such as a spring or packet flips)
-Moves which use single cards (such as some body slides and paddidles)
-Moves where the deck is spread in some manner (such as fans, lepauls etc....)
-Moves involving weaved packets
-Moves involving the deck and other objects or elements (hybrids moves, elementals etc....)
-Any combination of the above "ideas"

I think below these basic "ideas" are the ones mentioned on the proxcm link, and anything besides them would be completely new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ummmm. No. See this link: http://proxcm.com/beginners.htm probably the best classification list for the core concepts and ideas. But, another way I classify moves are by using a list of the most basic "forms" of a deck and other variation, these include:

-Moves involving the deck as a whole
-Moves involving packets of cards
-Moves in which the deck is spread in some way
-Moves in which cards/packets/or deck(s) are airborne (such as a spring or packet flips)
-Moves which use single cards (such as some body slides and paddidles)
-Moves where the deck is spread in some manner (such as fans, lepauls etc....)
-Moves involving weaved packets
-Moves involving the deck and other objects or elements (hybrids moves, elementals etc....)
-Any combination of the above "ideas"

I think below these basic "ideas" are the ones mentioned on the proxcm link, and anything besides them would be completely new.

Just Sayin.

May 8, 2008
Cumbria, UK
Nice try. But all I can say is 'why'? How does sorting xcm into different categories help in any way at all? It won't miraculously make us better flourishers because we can tell each other what group certain moves are in. So once again, nice try. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. But really, does it matter?

Nice try. But all I can say is 'why'? How does sorting xcm into different categories help in any way at all? It won't miraculously make us better flourishers because we can tell each other what group certain moves are in. So once again, nice try. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. But really, does it matter?
Does it matter? Not really.

But I thought if magic had it why not cardistry.

JDEN

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results