13 Steps to Mentalism

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I am trying to decide where I should go with my magic which is why I have a lot of product questions. I like the idea of mentalism and I like how it impacts the spectator far deeper than magic but, I like the flashy-ness of magic. I am not sure whether I should learn some mentalism and incorporate it into my magic.

I have 13 Steps to Mentalism and have had it for a LONG time (probably 2 years) and I have gotten absolutely NOTHING out of it. Why? Because I simply cannot follow the text book style read. I just get side tracked and bored with the way it is written. Also, I do not have a swami so I cannot apply anything from Step 1. To me a lot of the effects seem to require extravagant set up or things that you have to hunt for or things that you have to make. Please, tell me if I am wrong!

Anyhow, I wanted opinions on the 13 Steps DVD set with Richard Osterlind? Would it be worth it to get into mentalism?

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
This Thread is one you should look through, there are countless other ones, three linked early in response to the original post, but overall that thread covers a lot of what you need to know about mentalism.

If you want to incorporate it into your magic you may want to specify that you want 'mental magic' and not mentalism. Many people think, myself included, that mentalism is too different from magic to be done alongside your card and coin tricks. Flashy visual magic will make everything you do questionable, whereas an act built specifically around mentalism can be perceived as the real deal by your audience.

I don't perform mentalism, but I do know 13 steps isn't the place to start if you're serious about it. While a great resource and reference guide it pales in comparison to other books that hit on what it is to be a mentalist. Many people suggest Bob Cassidy's book Fundamentals alongside Anneman's Practical Mental Magic will be more than enough for you to create a solid foundation in mentalism.

Nov 12, 2008
To be honest, I felt the same way about mentalism- I like the visualness that magic has to offer.... A book you can get to get your feet wet in mentalism without getting too involved is a book called self working mentalism- do not let the title fool you. What I prefer to do when performing mentalism is to perform it only when there is one person to perform for. Mentalism is great but does not allow the other people to experience the wonder... they have to take the other person's word for it... that's how I feel.

Sep 1, 2007
Beginner's Guide to Mentalism

Ba-boom!

If you're going to attempt mentalism, my guide will give you a taste of it without burning a lot of money. Hopefully, you won't even get through the full list of books before you decide whether or not it's something you'd like to pursue. As an added supplement, here's my review of Self-Working Mental Magic by Karl Fulves:

Self-Working Mental Magic

If anyone wants to talk crap on this book because you have a problem with the "self-working" part, then you're wrong. End of discussion.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
@ cardmagician: No offense, but... You're performing it wrong.

Oh, and read Steerpike's blog. That post, and every one really, is packed full of useful information. Highly recommended.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results