A deck of cards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2009
Reno, NV
OMG, seriously, just stop.
Stop trying to be like Daniel Madison.

Everything you try to be and do is Daniel Madison, this isn't borderline obsessive, this IS obsessive.

Do you honestly think he'd appreciate this if he sees it?

Also, don't say people remind you of Daniel Garcia or whoever just because people say so, it doesn't relate much because personalities can easily be shared, but if you start wearing a beanie and some metal beads on your neck and make similar jokes and videos, then that's just creepy.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Well, 'scuse me dawg, but I ain't be dissin', I just t'ink he need to quit frontin'. Hate the game, don't hate the playa. Know w'um sayin'?

When he posts one, I will. A-durr!

There are 5 steps to mastering a skill set.

1. Emulation
2. Distinction
3. Evaluation
4. Invention
5. Innovation

See that? Emulation comes first, but then you move past it and do other stuff.

Regardless, there is still a difference between being influenced and being a rip-off. This guy is to Daniel Madison what Ctrl+Alt+Del is to Penny Arcade. Little joke for the nerds in the audience.

Would you rather see the real Iron Maiden live in concert, or a bunch of drunk frat boys playing Iron Maiden songs on Rock Band?

Because I'm not Daniel Madison. I'm Alex Vornoff, the Shadowlander. Huge friggin' difference!

However, if you are content to stagnate as a performer and carry out your practice of magic as a 9th rate knock-off of a better magician... well let's just say that I actually have ambition. And self-esteem, and intelligence, and creativity.

So every actor in the world should start pretending to be Marlon Brando? You would actually watch movies where every single dude in it was impersonating Brando?

Ooh, whoop-dee-****! He can cut cards in a fancy way like thousands of other magicians out there! That's so unique and special!

Jesus... I don't care how fancy your moves are. If you're just a knock-off of somebody else, watching you is not worth my time. I'd rather see the guy you're ripping off, because at least he's being original.

Why does this not surprise me?

I'm 24. Choke on it.

If you have to preface a sentence with, "This may sound like a dumb generalization," then you shouldn't open your mouth.

I do six card tricks and that's it. I don't specialize in card tricks because I'd actually like to do magic for a living.

I don't know anything about him because he's hiding behind someone else's identity. That's why he's being criticized! Hello! Christ, did you actually think before you typed any of that?

Little boy, do not tell me to look in the mirror, as I would posit that you need to do the same. I would suggest that you are only defending this piece of **** video because you yourself have no originality and can only steal from others.

Also, anyone who uses the word "hater" as if it were a valid criticism rather than a puerile ad-hominem needs to be caned.

I've always wanted to criticise someone's argument for being ad hominem. Damn you..

haha, Wow. What the hell happened here?

You can almost smell The Rotting Flesh of Dontavious after being Eaten Alive.

How about everybody stop hating on the guy and give him credit for a nice video with some nice effects.

You know what fellas? He's right, give credit were credit is due.

That was a great video d+M, nice to see you using stunt doubles. See that, he always takes it to the next level. Some people use a different set of hands, d+M uses :eek: "An Entire Look-A-Like".

Every magician/ artist/ actor has learned from someone just beacause you do panic just like arron fisher doesent mean you want to be him or are trying to be and even if you are so the F what!?

Hooked On Phonics, cuase U shoud bee.

A good part of most peoples life is spent learning from other people. We take what we learn, and apply it to ourselves in small amounts. This kid dug into the d+M happy bag and just started rubbin s*** on his face untill he was covered in it. There's a HUGE difference in applying what you've learned to who you are, and forgetting to take off your halloween costume.

DM is an awesome magician why wouldent you want to be like him? Every single magician is an actor of sorts why not emulate one of the best?

For the same reason Sean Connery never walked off the set of 007 and dove into a Russian Submarine screaming "I'm James Bond, let go of the girl and drop your weapons!". He would have gotten shot and died. This would be the equivalent of that. Pretending to be someone else is only fun untill it becomes a life style.

It obviosly is working for this guy beacuse his flourishes are spectacular.

:confused: Since when did dressing up and acting like someone else mean you got better at anything?

:D Using this logic I will attempt to formulate a clothing ensemble incoperating looks of: George Carlin, Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, David Blaine, Heidi Klum, Angelina Jolie, Chuck Norris (For Fear), Barbara Bush (For Deadly Fear), Judge Judy (For Overkill), Brad Pitt, & George Clooney. Somewhere between admiring my new look and watching my Ego explode on CNN, effectively taking out half of New England, I will have become "The Most Powerful Man On The Face Of The Earth!".

This may sound like a dumb generalzation but it would be my guess that everyone that responded negativly to this video is under 18 and not as skilled with cards and is simply jelous dont be so quick to judge when you know nothing about this person other than he is doing magic that is similar to other great magicians grow up and look in the mirror haters

If that was your guess, then i'll take a wild one and say that you never could guess how many jelly beans were in the jar. I'm 22 and don't get jealous. I'd rather have a deck of cards burst into flames whenever I gripped them than be a carbon copy of anyone.

What's really funny, is to look at it a different way. You say "dont be so quick to judge when you know nothing about this person". You also say "It obviosly is working for this guy beacuse his flourishes are spectacular.". Judging by the latter sentance, it comes off like you don't know him half as much as some of the other people who have posted, which constitutes that latter sentance as "judging without knowledge" which is doing exactly what you just accused everyone here of doing (and said not to do, shame shame). And just cause you're doing it in a good way doesn't hold up either. Not to mention that you go on to say "everyone that responded negativly to this video is under 18 and not as skilled with cards and is simply jelous" which I believe is the current emulation of stupidity, given the extremely obvious.

I've been away for three days and miss all the fun :rolleyes:.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Regardless, there is still a difference between being influenced and being a rip-off. This guy is to Daniel Madison what Ctrl+Alt+Del is to Penny Arcade. Little joke for the nerds in the audience.

Thank you, jokes for the select few who run the universe are appreciated.

To the original post (because we all love to stay on topic) I ditto everything said against you doing this again. Well, I guess you didn't listen and you did do it again...so stop? Please?

it would be my guess that everyone that responded negativly to this video is under 18 and not as skilled with cards and is simply jelous
I'm 21, I don't do flourishes, and why should I be jealous?

Looking like dM is one thing, you might dress like him, I can respect that.
Doing his flourishes is another thing, not so bad, but you could vary it up some.
Having a video that screams 'I wish I was as cool as dM but am not, so I have to pretend to feel cool' well...not so awesome.

Can't even think of closing arguments, it's just not worth it.

-Rik

Sep 1, 2007
I'd love to know...where I posted in this thread for you to even BEGIN attacking me personally like that.

He's been stalking me for the last couple of days, posting this whenever I appear. He made that picture a month or two ago when the three of us put him in his place.

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
Is that meant to be some sort of devastating insult?

Apparently. It was funny when he first posted it, way back when, because, I mean - wow. Just look at it. It's like watching MST3K, where you can't believe how bad the movie is, and you just have to laugh. For a bit, I honestly thought that was his way of conceding from the argument, sort of a little, "Ha ha, no one will take THIS seriously!" But I guess he was. Like Steerpike said, It is funny, but probably not in the way he thinks it is.

It was funny again when he posted it out of nowhere, just because I'd forgotten about it. Now he's killing it for me, and I'm starting to hate it.

Oct 6, 2007
Steerpike: Cry me a river. I found your coddling of a plagiarist to be intellectually offensive. We'll call it even.

My post wasent subliminally racist

Steerpike you are the guy who thrives off this kind of stuff it seems to me you are trying to overcompensate for somthing. Were you the nerd who got beat up in school everyday so you have to make up for it by constantly trying to ignite online forum battles and escape your sad life through this online identity? It certantly seems this way. if constanly agruing with people through online magic forums make you happy then so be it. I feel bad for you. Grow up. Go outside and get some sunlight instead of waiting for someone to post somthing you dont like on theory11.com so you can write a staunch and insulting 10 paragraph lecture.

Ill end this they way you would want it

All hail the mighty chancellor Steerpike! Whos wisdom is unsurpassed! The most handsome and intelligent . The GOD of theory11.com fourms!
:cool:

Jun 30, 2008
Steerpike: Cry me a river. I found your coddling of a plagiarist to be intellectually offensive. We'll call it even.

Steerpike you are the guy who thrives off this kind of stuff it seems to me you are trying to overcompensate for somthing. Were you the nerd who got beat up in school everyday so you have to make up for it by constantly trying to ignite online forum battles and escape your sad life through this online identity? It certantly seems this way. if constanly agruing with people through online magic forums make you happy then so be it. I feel bad for you. Grow up. Go outside and get some sunlight instead of waiting for someone to post somthing you dont like on theory11.com so you can write a staunch and insulting 10 paragraph lecture.

All hail the mighty chancellor Steerpike! Whos wisdom is unsurpassed! The most handsome and intelligent . The GOD of theory11.com fourms!

I seem to be missing something here, how does racism have anything to do with what he said??? Plagiarism and racism aren't related... at all.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

haha Racism?You dont even understand half the words he posted do you?
He proves you wrong(and many others including me) and you go off and attack?
Come on guy,be mature.Im 18 and know more about people than you do.

Nov 10, 2008
Upstate NY
haha Racism?You dont even understand half the words he posted do you?
He proves you wrong(and many others including me) and you go off and attack?
Come on guy,be mature.Im 18 and know more about people than you do.
That part seems a bit stand offish to me... for all we know he is a 13 year old kid!

BTW, in no way am I defending what he is saying.this guy is a total DM clone to me!

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA

what

So let's re-cap: he says things you don't like, so that makes him a loser. Or is it: he proves you wrong, and you can't actually respond to what he says with further debate, so you attack him in regards to something not even relevant to the discussion. Seems to be popular opinion around here, which is really depressing (everyone remember the Artist thread?)

No, Steerpike is the guy who actually knows a thing or two about magic and presentation and isn't afraid to hold his tongue when people say something stupid. Here in this forum, you said something stupid. So a knowledgeable magician calls you out on it. You then make yourself look even more stupid with petty attacks on his character, and not following up or trying to reply to what he says.

It really is okay to be wrong, as long as you make an attempt to fix things or to learn. I don't see why people get so worked up about this.

Someone called you out and you're throwing a temper tantrum like a little child. Grow up, admit you were wrong, and try to evolve as a magician. (And I assume you need to evolve as a magician based off the fact that you think the video this thread is about is perfectly fine and shouldn't be attacked.)

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
That part seems a bit stand offish to me... for all we know he is a 13 year old kid!

BTW, in no way am I defending what he is saying.this guy is a total DM clone to me!

The royal JRA is 23.
He made a claim that "whoever dislikes this video is probably under 18 and is jealous" I just kinda threw it back at him.
Yeah,its cool man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results